New Sonic Arts Freestyle 1.5 is released. Kore style morphing incoming

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Get it here: https://newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php

There are a whole raft of new features including: group Modules, encapsulating structures, freeze to Nuance and lots more:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/390658655

There is a time limited intro offer of €79 down from €129.

Get it here: https://newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php
Last edited by pinki on Wed May 20, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strange announcement. Seems like 1.5 has been out for a while. That's the version I've had as a demo for a month at least. I did take advantage of the sale and picked it up finally though!

Edit: I forgot I was demoing the beta... nevermind.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That was in beta, now released.

One of the more underrated pieces of software out there. I've been working with the beta here and there and enjoying every minute of it.

Here's the full change list:

Improvements:

New 'Group' container module, plus Encapsulate/Expand options.
New 'Track Bar' for enhanced navigation in Edit View.
'New Project' quick start dialog.
VST View: Unified VST view with integrated preset browser and parameter search.
Add button for context-sensitive module insertion ('+' key shortcut).
Event Player: various editing/selection improvement.
'VST Properties' dialog for VST name and vendor correction.
Structure View: improved keyboard navigation (cursor keys + enter/exit).
PatchCloud: Faster downloading and synchronization (no more timeouts).
PatchCloud: Added option to pre-download VST previews.
My Samples / My Presets: Improved background scanning.
My Samples / My Presets: 'Open Location' and 'Delete' (via shift) context-menu options.
Database back-end optimizations.
Standalone and VST: MIDI out.
Assignment Manager: set MIDI CC and Automation IDs by text input.
File Browser: automatic folder content monitoring.
File Browser: improved keyboard navigation.
Plugin 'Embed Samples in Host Project' added 'Max Size' option.
Instrument Freeze (Freeze to Nuance) engine enhancements and fixes.
VST 'Select Version' menu allows switching between plugins with identical UIDs (typically Novation AutoMap plugins).
Structure View 'Disconnect' context-menu option.
Improved in-app SoundPack downloads.
UI rendering optimizations.
Various other UI and workflow improvements.

Fixes:

Some VST hosting fixes.
Several UI rendering crash / corruption issues.
Various PatchCloud / database fixes.
OS X: Fixed an AU crash on exit / Logic X AU validation issue.
Waveform displays: show right channel was not working.
Browser: Audition controls were sometimes 'stuck'.
Automated Macro's were sometimes not updated in host after Snapshot recall.
Several local database corruption issues.
Various other stability fixes.

Hmmmm.... never heard of this before. It works in another DAW and allows you to layer vsts together?

tdm71 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm Hmmmm.... never heard of this before. It works in another DAW and allows you to layer vsts together?
It does. You can easily build multi-instruments with fx chains. What's super cool is that you can group these and then freeze into their Nuance sampler - freeze your VSTs. I took Softube Modular that was eating up 60% CPU, sampled/froze it and then I was working with something around 1%-ish CPU. You can restore and re-freeze as needed.

There's a bunch it can do and it is easy to work with. Breathes new life back into your VST collections, at least it did for me.

It is awesome. The main reason I ended up buying it is because of the snapshot system. So easy to save a snapshot of parameters and recall by program change in your DAW. Really useful for instruments or effects chains where you might mangle things beyond recognition and need to instantly jump back to a safe space. Or an entirely different sound.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 pm It is awesome. The main reason I ended up buying it is because of the snapshot system. So easy to save a snapshot of parameters and recall by program change in your DAW. Really useful for instruments or effects chains where you might mangle things beyond recognition and need to instantly jump back to a safe space. Or an entirely different sound.
I never thought about that. Great idea! There are many uses for it, indeed.

I have a Touche controller, by Expressive-E. They have a host called "Lie" (lee-a) that enables you to assign the Touche to parameters in your VSTs. It will host a single VST. I discovered that I could use Freestyle within Lie and not only assign the Touche to the synths, but also the fx chain. Cutoff, reverb wet/dry, etc.

h2ogun99 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 pm It is awesome. The main reason I ended up buying it is because of the snapshot system. So easy to save a snapshot of parameters and recall by program change in your DAW. Really useful for instruments or effects chains where you might mangle things beyond recognition and need to instantly jump back to a safe space. Or an entirely different sound.
I never thought about that. Great idea! There are many uses for it, indeed.

I have a Touche controller, by Expressive-E. They have a host called "Lie" (lee-a) that enables you to assign the Touche to parameters in your VSTs. It will host a single VST. I discovered that I could use Freestyle within Lie and not only assign the Touche to the synths, but also the fx chain. Cutoff, reverb wet/dry, etc.
And I never thought of that! I have a Touche too. Freestyle really is flexible.

I have a touche as well. Freestyle macros can be multiple parameters over varying ranges so that would be powerful with touche expressions controlling those. I tend to prefer just assigning midi modulations in bitwig for touche though rather than using Lie, but the same applies either way.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 pm I tend to prefer just assigning midi modulations in bitwig for touche though rather than using Lie, but the same applies either way.
I'll give that a try here in a bit.

has anyone tried using this with OSX? I've downloaded the demo, but it's really laggy and basically unusable. I have a Win machine at home i'd like to test with, but i'm on the road and won't be back in the studio for a few weeks.

the MBP is running 10.14.6 with 2GB vram and should be fine running this software, but every click takes a few seconds to register and when i try to scan vst2, it always crashes on Kontakt and vst3 don't seem to load at all. Bummer.

psynical wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:46 am has anyone tried using this with OSX? I've downloaded the demo, but it's really laggy and basically unusable. I have a Win machine at home i'd like to test with, but i'm on the road and won't be back in the studio for a few weeks.

the MBP is running 10.14.6 with 2GB vram and should be fine running this software, but every click takes a few seconds to register and when i try to scan vst2, it always crashes on Kontakt and vst3 don't seem to load at all. Bummer.
Hmmm - Working fine on my Mac Pro and MBP.
Look in: Setup / User Interface / Graphics Engine - toggle some of the those settings and see if things perk up.

As far as VST3, you'll need to add the folder.
Look in: Setup / File - within "VST", add your VST3 folder. That should do the trick.

I can't speak to why you're getting a crash on Kontakt.

Hope that helps you some.

psynical: that’s definitely something with your setup as we have been in beta on OSX for some time with no lagging or crashing. Send an email to support@newsonicarts.com to get sorted.

Does it allow saving the chain and can it load the saved chain into another DAW? Gonna demo this!

Return to “Instruments”