BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

I try blue arp with input quantize 1/2 and restart on beat 0 and i use for live play some buttons of my akai for program change in blue arp. but the program change is not input quantize and need press exact in time to play the previous pattern to end and then program to next. the old fashion arranger keyboards that are here since more than 20 years quantize such pattern changes to next bar. maybe blue arp can quantize program change too ?
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

Late to the party on BlueARP, got it bundled with Unify and really like using it, but wondering if there's any way to get the program browser to react to MIDI CCs as I'd love to be able to audition different arp patterns from my keyboard controls rather than via mouse clicks?
Couldn't see anything about it in the manual, but thought if a control goes 1..128 it's usually MIDIable somewhere or intended to be at some point.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

it is possible in blue arp settings to enable program change respond of bluearp. so can change blue arp patterns with program change messages. the 127 possible program patterns are save with each song and are independent from other songs

magicmusic wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 pm it is possible in blue arp settings to enable program change respond of bluearp. so can change blue arp patterns with program change messages. the 127 possible program patterns are save with each song and are independent from other songs
Cool, I'll try sending CC 32 events.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I've just started using this since it's included in Unify.

One feature that would be very nice for building multi-instrument arps is a variety of "note select" algorithms for the arpeggiator. These algorithms restrict the input to the arpeggiator to a subset of the notes played on the keyboard.

Sonuscore's The Orchestra arpeggiators have following note select options:
-All notes played
-Lowest note only
-Lowest two notes
-Middle
-Top 3 notes
-Top 2 notes
-Top note only

Please consider adding this feature to BlueArp!

magicmusic wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 pm I try blue arp with input quantize 1/2 and restart on beat 0 and i use for live play some buttons of my akai for program change in blue arp. but the program change is not input quantize and need press exact in time to play the previous pattern to end and then program to next. the old fashion arranger keyboards that are here since more than 20 years quantize such pattern changes to next bar. maybe blue arp can quantize program change too ?
It doesn't quantize program changes, but there are pattern chains for that, they are quantized (chain quantize setting). So if you assign each chain to a certain program, you will get almost the same. There are 16 chains max now, but I can pretty easily extend it.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:54 pm Late to the party on BlueARP, got it bundled with Unify and really like using it, but wondering if there's any way to get the program browser to react to MIDI CCs as I'd love to be able to audition different arp patterns from my keyboard controls rather than via mouse clicks?
Couldn't see anything about it in the manual, but thought if a control goes 1..128 it's usually MIDIable somewhere or intended to be at some point.
The same answer - pattern chains, current chain setting, you can assign it to knob, slider or a button row, if you program these buttons to different values of the same CC. Looks like this thing is not so obvious for newcomers, but you can check the manual - pattern chains are described there pretty well.

DrMEM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 pm I've just started using this since it's included in Unify.

One feature that would be very nice for building multi-instrument arps is a variety of "note select" algorithms for the arpeggiator. These algorithms restrict the input to the arpeggiator to a subset of the notes played on the keyboard.

-All notes played
-Lowest note only
-Lowest two notes
-Middle
-Top 3 notes
-Top 2 notes
-Top note only

You can get the same if you play with "order by pitch" and "order by pitch, desc" algorithms, "don't play" for missing keys. If you use only k1, k2 in your pattern, all other keys will be discarded. if your order is ascending, these will be the lowest keys, descending - the highest keys. The only thing I can't imagine how to do - it the middle key, but it isn't a big miss imho. Anyway, if you pressed 4 keys, which one is the middle - k2 or k3?

Thank you Oleg for making this vst even better day by day!

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:17 am
DrMEM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:18 pm I've just started using this since it's included in Unify.

-All notes played
-Lowest note only
-Lowest two notes
-Middle
-Top 3 notes
-Top 2 notes
-Top note only

You can get the same if you play with "order by pitch" and "order by pitch, desc" algorithms, "don't play" for missing keys. If you use only k1, k2 in your pattern, all other keys will be discarded. if your order is ascending, these will be the lowest keys, descending - the highest keys. The only thing I can't imagine how to do - it the middle key, but it isn't a big miss imho. Anyway, if you pressed 4 keys, which one is the middle - k2 or k3?
Ah, cool!

I see the ambiguity with "middle" - the answer is that if you press 4 keys, The Orchestra interprets "middle" as key 2.

I think one thing your suggestion doesn't work elegantly for is if you use a chord step type in BlueArp - If I'm holding a 5 note chord, I can't arpeggiate just the top two notes as a chord within a single instance of BlueArp. I could rig it up with multiple instances though.

DrMEM wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:22 pm I think one thing your suggestion doesn't work elegantly for is if you use a chord step type in BlueArp - If I'm holding a 5 note chord, I can't arpeggiate just the top two notes as a chord within a single instance of BlueArp. I could rig it up with multiple instances though.
There is another way :) Switch KeySelect lane to polyphonic mode (tiny yellow square next to "KEY SELECT" caption. When in poly mode, you can select k1+k2 for a step. No matter how many keys you press, it will trigger only 2 lowest or highest keys (depending on order algorithm)
PS. In this case you should set step type to Norm. I'm not now sure about the nuances (good thing to check this weekend), but I think if you have Chord step type and polyphonic key select, Chord step type supersedes key select and you hear all the keys, so you have to set steps to Norm.

graywolf2004 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 am There is another way :) Switch KeySelect lane to polyphonic mode (tiny yellow square next to "KEY SELECT" caption. When in poly mode, you can select k1+k2 for a step. No matter how many keys you press, it will trigger only 2 lowest or highest keys (depending on order algorithm)
PS. In this case you should set step type to Norm. I'm not now sure about the nuances (good thing to check this weekend), but I think if you have Chord step type and polyphonic key select, Chord step type supersedes key select and you hear all the keys, so you have to set steps to Norm.
Just to confirm. I checked last weekend - Chord step type supersedes Normal + polyphonic key.

Update: BlueARP v2.2.11
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35
No big changes, mostly I was tidying up my code and aligned it with HW version.
BugFix: crashed when trying to edit preset name (x64 win only)

Thanks a lot for the efforts :)

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:05 am
magicmusic wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 pm I try blue arp with input quantize 1/2 and restart on beat 0 and i use for live play some buttons of my akai for program change in blue arp. but the program change is not input quantize and need press exact in time to play the previous pattern to end and then program to next. the old fashion arranger keyboards that are here since more than 20 years quantize such pattern changes to next bar. maybe blue arp can quantize program change too ?
It doesn't quantize program changes, but there are pattern chains for that, they are quantized (chain quantize setting). So if you assign each chain to a certain program, you will get almost the same. There are 16 chains max now, but I can pretty easily extend it.
EDIT:

or maybe it is more easy to program because of the existing quantize when the lowest 8 keys c0-a0 can choose pattern 1-8. this can work when program change mode is not enable. 8 patterns to select is enough for many
Last edited by magicmusic on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”