How do i make those weird sounds in those old skool Breakbeats

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 pm I doubt many were using sample CDs back in 91 ... we were sourcing our own samples via crate digging, etc back then. First time I saw a sample CD was in 96.
The most ubiquitous sample CD of the time was Zero-G Datafile. Released in 1991. It was everywhere.

Great song, i know liam used that break on the Weather Experience, it would be cool if someone could cut it up like he did. i tried with no luck haha

GateWay47 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:42 pm i've been creating some tracks based off of the early 90s late 80s breakbeat era, some things i can't find to figure out are some of those weird voice samples on these breakbeats. i'll list some examples below.
SL2 samples Uptown - Dope on Plastic, where the vocals are part of the sampled beat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkolvO8YbnU

Wind It Up from Just Ice's Latoya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxikiHViWA

there were various vinyl collections with that kinda stuff too, i had a couple called Beats, Breaks and Scratches in the late 80's

YEAH simon harris made those records, I need to pick up a copy one of these days, Awesome stuff

Never knew he sampled Just Ice,

tehlord wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:10 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 pm I doubt many were using sample CDs back in 91 ... we were sourcing our own samples via crate digging, etc back then. First time I saw a sample CD was in 96.
The most ubiquitous sample CD of the time was Zero-G Datafile. Released in 1991. It was everywhere.
Yes, I love those datafile cds. i was able to rip them if anybody wants a copy i have 1 to 3

Me too

GateWay47 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm
tehlord wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:10 pm
Yes, I love those datafile cds. i was able to rip them if anybody wants a copy i have 1 to 3
Even though they are old somebody surely still has a copyright...

I'm pretty sure they don't, I think Zero-G had to stop production of the Datafile's because at this point he was straight stealing the samples off of other records and making it his own on his sample cd.

The copyright is with the rights holders of the sampled material. But they are freely floating around the internet, seemingly unchallenged by takedown notices. So no one is pursuing the sample CD. Use an uncleared sample and they'll probably get you though.

There is also the X-Static Goldmine which competed with Datafile 1.

Future Music CD 1 was also heavily mined.

The quality in Datafile 1 is pretty astounding given the technology of the time.

I also have Future Music CD1, although i perfer the Datafile better.

In 1991, you were lucky if you even had a CD drive. My grandmother's OS 7 Macintosh had an external serial port one. Blu-ray is just now taking off after being introduced in 2006 and pushed really hard by Disney in the early 2010s. Just because CDs technically existed in the '80s doesn't mean everything switched right over. Hell, my 2001 Corolla still has a tape player and no CD player! Ha!

1991, I think I was still using an Atari then...must have been. Definitely not standard to have CD drives, though everyone I knew already had CDs in their hifi etc, and CD Walkmans etc were pretty common. In '91 I would have been using samples a lot, but I vaguely remember hooking up an external CD player to get them loaded into my Akai. And had to be saved onto floppy disk - which would have been around 5 breakbeats per disk... :hihi:

kritikon wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:23 pm I vaguely remember hooking up an external CD player to get them loaded into my Akai. And had to be saved onto floppy disk - which would have been around 5 breakbeats per disk... :hihi:
I bought the brand new. top of the range Yamaha A3000 sampler in 1998 ... it had a floppy drive :roll: ... altho' to be fair, there was a SCSI connection and the option to add an 8GB HDD. There's a USB card available these days to replace the floppy drive.

I put a little SCSI adaptor board in mine, so there's a 64GB SD card pretending to be a whole bunch of hard drives :D

Return to “Production Techniques”