Pulsar 900 Series

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
900 Series Modular Synthesizer

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:07 pm
Cinebient wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:17 pm So i never had a synth where i stumbled over so much happy accidents while connecting things and play with knobs. This is what sets P900 apart for me.
These things are very much individual... the way you feel about P900 is how I feel about Bazille... Bazille just does it for me. It sounds more alive to me than other soft synths.

I'd like to explore P900 more but there is not an OSX VST version so it cannot be used in Bitwig.
Yes, i also find Bazille amazing and it sure can do some things P900 cannot but the sounds i love and want to use there Bazille cannot deliver for me and especially the saturation and FX are much better in P900 for my taste. But i really do not like spring reverbs for some reason. But i love plate reverbs so maybe that is another thing for me. And i really felt in love with the analog delay as well and you have 2 of them inside P900. It is just pure cream for my ears :)
There are so many greats synth out there and great that they all have a different character (and U-he synths and P900 f.e. really has much character).

P900 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:19 pm You are correct; I should have said before hitting the output. I am trying to speculate what could make a difference other than the D/A.
See Korg -8000 hybrid synth inside look https://www.google.com/search?q=korg+dw ... t3w-8UHkMM

Compare to modern ones https://www.google.com/search?q=roland ... lwvOA_6dNM
Korg's DW-8000 is NOT a virtual analog. It's digital osc into analog filter and VCA. VAs is where everything is digital before the output, so you have your DSP then straight into DAC. So first generation VAs (Nord Lead, Yamaha AN1x, Roland JP-8000) is where it all really started. And they all have their own character that is far from linear and perfect, or "softsynthy".

Please get your facts straight :)

There's a good number of softsynths that don't sound "softsynthy" at all.

P900 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:01 pm Search for C++ audio library and you will find such open-source libraries. This means, when you call these libraries, they generate a discrete Signal that represents the intended continuous-time signal. So plugin A will sound the same as plugin B when they call the same library to supply that particular signal, or filter. The difference will be the GUI, believe it or not
This is also not really true in practice. Each plugin developer will code their oscillators and filters and envelopes and do their gain staging between different modules differently, which will 100% result in a different sound regardless of which C++ library was used (or maybe none were used to a particularly keen developer wrote their own framework from scratch without relying on any other C++ library).

Hi guys 8) . I'm out of this business now but it's fun to come back and read this conversation. P900 uses lots of tricks to emulate or mimic behavior in analog synths. Some mentioned here like small parameter randomization that help polyphonic sounds in particular, or others like DC-blockers that emulate analog connections and help to keep the low end in check, or drift that is completely random but with a statistical center, and yes, gain staging throughout. The oscillators are high resolution alias free and the entire engine is oversampled with the output going through a high quality decimation filter (polyphase FIR/blackman window). I spent two years in my basement studio to try and infuse the characteristics of vintage (and some new) analogs I had as references into P900. Fun times. Some of that worked well, but I believe the key is attention to lots and lots of little details.

It's in good hands with the new team.

Big thanks to Cinebient for being such a strong endorser of this synth :tu:

Sad to hear that the father of this synth left his child so i´m a bit scared always if these things happen.
But of course i´m also happy that development do not stop.
Just to calm me down a spacy, mellow key and 2 space pads :)
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p900-stereo-delay
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... ween-stars
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... en-stars-2
I wish you all a nice chilled weekend.....

Lol, sorry, here is another one. Just digging around and got one of those happy accidents.
Actually it is just almost the same as above (Stereo Keys) with a few tweaks but sounds totally different of course :)
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p900-fake-guitar

Me too, I' enthusiastic about this Virtual Instrument from the start but if we don't have a Retina screen, I find that the GUI pictures are ill-defined or unclear.
For image management, some Applications provide two screen resolutions (Retina or not Retina).

Is it resolved?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

O.k. a last one before i go to bed. Was planned as kind of harmonium. Not exactly but it still has a nice organic sound. 4 layers (octaves played, each with 4 voices chords, no extern FX again beside just a complete dry Precedence for panning).
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... -harmonium

And some P900 Ambient Guitar in the morning (at least here)....
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... ent-guitar

Just thought I'd point out that, despite the requirements showing it works with Mavericks and up, the .dmg file won't mount on Mavericks and, I assume, anything before APFS (Apple File System) was implemented. I imagine the installer itself works just fine, unfortunately I can't get to that point.

Does anyone care to post some audio samples without effects? I'm trying to get an idea about how the synth sounds. So far I noticed that it has a unique "brassy" filter, not found in Diva.

I've always loved the sound of P900, but I don't use it anymore because of bugs that were reported years ago but were not sorted out - like patch notes not working in some hosts eg ableton live (this is more of a pain as it's the mechanism used for patch naming), and the bug caused by 3 inputs to a CP10 mixer fatally crashing Live.

It'd be great to see P900 getting some developer love again.

Also, I'm not seeing anything in the downloads section of my account - is this universal right now, or do I need to contact support?

izonin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:05 pm Does anyone care to post some audio samples without effects? I'm trying to get an idea about how the synth sounds. So far I noticed that it has a unique "brassy" filter, not found in Diva.
Not sure what you mean since all the FX (beside in 1-2 examples where i added a bit Replika-XT) belongs to P900 and also sometimes makes a bit part of the character.
But if you mean without FX i guess you mean no delay, no (stereo)reverb?
What kind of sound you want to hear. I might could post some dry examples.
Also of course the saturation plays a big part of the "brassy" character. But saturation belongs for me to the "dry" stage since it makes a big part of the sound at diffferent stages in the signal path (like in many synths which also add saturation anyway, especially with analog filters).
In my opinion Diva is super great f.e. but P900 filters are much better.

Cinebient wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:34 pm
izonin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:05 pm Does anyone care to post some audio samples without effects? I'm trying to get an idea about how the synth sounds. So far I noticed that it has a unique "brassy" filter, not found in Diva.
Not sure what you mean since all the FX (beside in 1-2 examples where i added a bit Replika-XT) belongs to P900 and also sometimes makes a bit part of the character.
Also of course the saturation plays a big part of the "brassy" character. But saturation belongs for me to the "dry" stage since it makes a big part of the sound at diffferent stages in the signal path (like in many synths which also add saturation anyway, especially with analog filters).
Yes, I mean some dry examples without delay/reverb. I want to hear the raw, exposed sound of the filter.

izonin wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:36 pm
Cinebient wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:34 pm
Yes, I mean some dry examples without delay/reverb. I want to hear the raw, exposed sound of the filter.
Here are a random choice from 16 of my presets and i turned delay and reverb always to zero. So dry sounds, just modulations going on. Some weird sounds included. Of course there is much more.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p ... d-examples

Return to “Instruments”