Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

foosnark wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm All delays are the same.
All filters are the same.
All synths are the same.
All KVR users are the same.
ditto

mad :lol:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm Kind of an oversight I think.
The guy is a genius, he pays crazy attention to details, he sure didn't overlook output gain.
He just has his own and very clear view on aesthetics and functionality, which can clash with some users' view and needs, but that's ok I guess.
IIRC he wants to keep controls to the bare minimum, and his plugins show this, release after release.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm The mix stuff can be worked around with DAW routing, but the diffusion on click can't really. I 'd like to see something done about that.
I used to be all in favor of workarounds, but progressively got less and less inclined :neutral:

Niowiad wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm Kind of an oversight I think.
The guy is a genius, he pays crazy attention to details, he sure didn't overlook output gain.
He just has his own and very clear view on aesthetics and functionality, which can clash with some users' view and needs, but that's ok I guess.
IIRC he wants to keep controls to the bare minimum, and his plugins show this, release after release.
Yeah he makes nice plugins and I think the interfaces are great. I'm a fan of the simplicity and flat look. I think sometimes though that trying too hard to fit everything into a pre-defined number of controls can make things more difficult than they need to be. We're talking about a master volume here, not exactly exotic or confusing functionality, or something that clutters an interface. Not including it because it doesn't fit the symmetrical and concise knob layout would be a shame and I hope that's not the reason it's not there. How about all that space to the right of the ValhallaDelay title?

Btw, has anyone noticed that the Mix description says "controls the balance of the input signal with the chorus"? Was it supposed to say chorus?

Just found little issue viewtopic.php?p=7622352#p7622352

So what does width do exactly, as distinct from spread for example, or general tap panning?

Also, when using Ducktape mode, what does the spread get set to when it disappears?

Not really a fan of controls disappearing/getting replaced when a different, very similar mode is selected. Again, seems like a downside of trying to cram things into pre-defined number of knobs.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm So what does width do exactly, as distinct from spread for example, or general tap panning?

Also, when using Ducktape mode, what does the spread get set to when it disappears?

Not really a fan of controls disappearing/getting replaced when a different, very similar mode is selected. Again, seems like a downside of trying to cram things into pre-defined number of knobs.
SPREAD (Single Mode): Sets a delay offset between the left and right channels. The value in milliseconds is added to the left channel, and subtracted from the right channel. Spread is useful in creating a wider stereo image.

WIDTH: Controls the panning of the left and right delay outputs.

A setting of 100% maps left inputs to left outputs, and right inputs to right outputs.
0% mixes the left and right delay outputs together equally, which can result in strong flanging sounds in some modes.
-100% swaps the left and right output channels.

Source: https://valhalladsp.com/2019/04/16/valh ... -controls/

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm So what does width do exactly, as distinct from spread for example, or general tap panning?

SPREAD (Single Mode): Sets a delay offset between the left and right channels. The value in milliseconds is added to the left channel, and subtracted from the right channel. Spread is useful in creating a wider stereo image.

A setting of 100% maps left inputs to left outputs, and right inputs to right outputs.
0% mixes the left and right delay outputs together equally, which can result in strong flanging sounds in some modes.

Thanks for the links. Still not sure what happens to width when duck modes are selected. Left at 100% maybe? I guess that means there's no way for cross feedback when ducking is available?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks for the links. Still not sure what happens to width when duck modes are selected. Left at 100% maybe? I guess that means there's no way for cross feedback when ducking is available?
I’m pretty sure you still get cross feedback when using the ratio mode...?

Ratio: The DELAY knob controls the delay time of the left channel, while the right channel’s delay time is set as a ratio of the left delay time, using the RATIO control.

The feedback paths of the left and right channels are combined via a unitary matrix. If RATIO is set to any value less than 100%, this results in a gradual build of echo density with higher feedback values.
Setting RATIO to 61.8%, and turning up the feedback, results in a cool pseudo-reverb sound.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:48 pm

I’m pretty sure you still get cross feedback when using the ratio mode...?
Ah yes, ratio sets the cross feedback, I see that now, sorry. I was thinking width controlled the cross feedback. So I guess I'm just wondering what the width is set to when ducking is selected.

Seems like 100% to me.

Sean Costello confirmed that on GS.

https://soundcloud.com/seancostello/november

“Coming soon from Valhalla.”

Check the image on Soundcloud... A cassette mode for Valhalla Delay?

Absolutely love this plugin, such a wide range of tones. Really good for reverbs, chorus, flanging, distortion, and all kinds of weird in between effects.

Have you tried listening to it backwards? :)

Really looking forward to this mode!

Return to “Effects”