2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
foosnark
KVRAF
5107 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Wound up trading my Cold Mac for a Random*Source Serge VCFQ, instead of selling it. This'll be 3 filters in my rig (along with FIlter 8 and Ripples) -- probably a record for me, given that I don't do subtractive synthesis.

But I tell myself, it's a Serge design so it should be fun, and it's famous for pinging nicely, which Filter 8 and Ripples will do but not fantastically (they're better at constant resonance). It's possible I won't wind up keeping all three in the long term, but we'll see.

Forgotten
KVRAF
9871 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: 2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:58 pm

I need a few cables - realized I can't connect everything together that I want (missing one MIDI cable), and some of my cables are too short to rearrange my desk in the way I want to.

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 pm

Really liking that VCFQ. I figure Filter 8 owes some of its design inspiration to it, but the sound of VCFQ is sweeter (in some hard-to-define way that I'm not going to pick at too much since I'm feeling ill and about to head back to bed) while Filter 8 is more fully featured for the most part.

VCFQ pings very nicely, and will self-oscillate IF you self-patch the BP output to the input and very meticulously set the input gain so it neither clips or dies out. But the notch closes and disappears as Q increases, so you can't quite use it as a quadrature oscillator.

You also get the weird hack of running audio into the trigger input, or self-patching an output into trigger along with audio but that just gets ridiculous :D

Filter 8 has a ping input, but (A) I keep forgetting it exists :oops: and (B) it just doesn't work as well as using an envelope into the audio input. Even then, you have to set the Q below self-oscillation and you have a very narrow margin of ring time to play with.

I haven't tried using VCFQ as a slew or bipolar wobbly envelope thingy yet. Another time. It does FM ridiculously nicely though!

justin3am
KVRAF
10984 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm

foosnark wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:26 pm
Wound up trading my Cold Mac for a Random*Source Serge VCFQ, instead of selling it. This'll be 3 filters in my rig (along with FIlter 8 and Ripples) -- probably a record for me, given that I don't do subtractive synthesis.

But I tell myself, it's a Serge design so it should be fun, and it's famous for pinging nicely, which Filter 8 and Ripples will do but not fantastically (they're better at constant resonance). It's possible I won't wind up keeping all three in the long term, but we'll see.
The VCFQ is one of my favorite filters. It has some things in common with QPAS but it can get much more aggressive with high gain and resonance. I use it for drum sounds (super easy to dial a range of decay settings via Q cv), as a modulation source (ping the trigger input when set to low mode), as a distortion unit and sometimes as a filter. It's such a nice filter to FM. I did a video demo a few years ago... I'm too lazy to link... see the 'Synth Videos' link in my signature. :hihi:

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:22 pm

I just watched the video for Hologram's Microcosm and was forced to pre-order...
https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

Exactly what I was looking for in a granular/looper pedal. I love ZOIA's Granular module but this appears to do more tempo synced stuff.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
14177 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 am

Bought an Ibanez TS808 distortion pedal last week for a whopping €175 (for a one trick pony I thought that was quite high) only to discover I really need two of them.

However after a little research I stumbled across the Behringer TS800 for €18 so I thought I’d give it a shot given it’s only the price of a nice lunch. Man it is absolutely identical :shock: I was A/Bing and couldn’t hear the slightest difference. €18!!!

So now I’m considering returning the Ibanez, swapping for another Behringer and then adding essentially a free TD3 or Crave. The only problem is I’ve never returned any music gear, ever. Hmmm, dilemmas.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Traded my Hertz Donut mk3 for a second MI Stages. :party:

This means I'll definitely have to replace my Supercell with a Typhoon to make room for the E520. I'm fine with that though.

Probably when the next must-have module comes along I'll have to sell something else off. Make Noise Contour is looking likeliest. I have been thinking of it as my primary envelope module, but honestly, I don't use it as much as Maths or Stages. With a second Stages I'll have even less motive to keep Contour around.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
26669 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:11 pm

I bought my first Eurorack system ... it's a Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Research Laboratory. Its been quite a learning curve this first week, but I'm getting some sounds out of it at last ;)

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:36 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:11 pm
I bought my first Eurorack system ... it's a Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Research Laboratory. Its been quite a learning curve this first week, but I'm getting some sounds out of it at last ;)
Congrats! Hope you have a lot of fun. I remember when I got my first modular, all of my prior experience was with Reaktor, so I was looking for multipliers and didn't understand the concept of VCAs. First I though multiples were multipliers and obviously that wasn't the case... I used a dual ring mod as VCAs for the first two days because I knew that multipliers in Reaktor could also work as ring modulators... I didn't realize the ring mods weren't DC coupled, so I didn't know why I couldn't get my envelopes to sustain. :lol:

You'll likely run into a lot of stuff that doesn't work as you might expect but if you don't get stuck when experience doesn't match expectation, you'll do fine. :tu:

toonertik
KVRAF
2246 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:11 pm
:tu:

Nice one

It'll be interesting to see where you go with modular..

always there is another thingy to add... 'coz it'll do this for you...

oh and, let's not forget the one that'll do that for you ...

:hihi:

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:54 pm

foosnark wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm
Probably when the next must-have module comes along I'll have to sell something else off. Make Noise Contour is looking likeliest. I have been thinking of it as my primary envelope module, but honestly, I don't use it as much as Maths or Stages. With a second Stages I'll have even less motive to keep Contour around.
I'm interested to hear about your approach with envelopes. I tend to use simple envelopes (I have 3 Functions, 2 Maths, a Dual 281 clone, Tides and a Pip Slope) combined to make more complex envelope shapes, unless I'm playing a patch from keys. In that case I'm more likely to generate the envelope from Bitwig. I like to combine (mix, OR, compare, multiply) two or three envelopes in different amounts route them to several destinations. Maybe I'll use the same attack decay stages for the whole patch but I might OR that with a second envelope for sustain and release stages for the amp, where I'll mix the first envelope with a looping third envelope, to control the pitch or filter cutoff on another module.

Do you tend to use a master 'Amp' envelope/VCA at the end of the chain? I know you tend to be pretty adventurous with your audio signal routing, so I'd be interested to hear more about how you handle dynamics and modulation. Maybe a better topic for your thread on MW...

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:16 pm

I actually don't use as many envelopes as I used to -- lots of drone voices with manual level control (usually 16n Faderbank, sometimes the Touche SE). Most of the time I just link a fader to the Output knob of the HW Instrument in Bitwig. Akemie's Castle level controls are also a good target since I can separate operators that way.

Tallin is my only dedicated VCA in the rack, but I tend to "save" it for when I want to use its drive, or when I really need to control a modulation amount and don't have another way to do it. I also like Natural Gate quite a lot -- I don't use it as much as I used to when I sequenced more stuff, but it still gets use.

When I do use envelopes I often like simple ones, ASR or AR or R from Maths or Stages or even directly generated by Teletype with its CV.SLEW. I don't often use more complex envelopes, either with Maths or Stages. But when I play with envelopes in Stages I really get into the various unusual possibilities it allows, so I kind of want to encourage myself to try that more.

Once in a while I like running a simple R envelope through Filter 8 with some resonance to make it bounce :)

foosnark
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:08 am

It also occurred to me, lately I've been using Clouds almost as an envelope and VCA by triggering individual grains.

imrae
KVRian
999 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:17 am

This is one of the great things about modular; my 84hp doesn't have an ADSR but has lots of ways of getting AD or AR envelopes. On most synths I have to figure out how to get an AR-like response from an ADSR.

So far my 2020 in gear has consisted of too many guitar pedals and some supporting infrastructure for those.

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 am

foosnark wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:16 pm
I actually don't use as many envelopes as I used to...
Thanks! It's interesting to read your approach to patching... in some ways it sounds very similar to the way I work, though I think we often have different taste in modules. I frequently wish I had another person in the studio who is well versed in modular. The few times that has happened, I loved throwing patch ideas back and forth.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”