East West Play

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Play

Hi guys,

I love the Composer Cloud from EW, but from time to time I have hanging notes and don't see to understand why, any of you here have a workaround.

I found it was in some cases my sustain pedal, not the software, but then in some very rare cases this still gets back, also had this with other synths in the past. My sequencer is Reaper. thanks!
"Zen attitude est the best attitude"

I have never used Play before but I have heard a ton of people complain about it as being awful, in spite of the quality of the libraries. I don't know if hanging notes was part of what made it so bad (I think mostly it is supposed to be really resource-hungry and not that friendly).

A couple things:

Are these notes hanging while playback is still going or are they hanging when you press stop in Reaper?
Are they only hanging on stuff you already recorded or do they hang ever when you are playing on your MIDI keyboard?

If it's hanging only when you press stop, it could just be the way that Reaper (which I've never used) handles sending note off MIDI messages. I wouldn't think that would be it, but it's one idea. If it's hanging when you are still playing it could be some sort of hiccup in your system where it lags or something causing it to miss the note off message. Does it happen when a lot of stuff is running?

Re: sustain pedal, check to see if it ever does it when the pedal is not plugged in at all. If not, the pedal could be faulty. Also, check to see if any sustain information has been recorded that could be causing things to hang when the pedal actually isn't being pressed.

Hope maybe some of that helps.

Hi goldenhelix,
thanks for your time and help, much appreciated!!

Other then the hanging notes the EQ play is actually working pretty nice here, it's very easy to use and regular updates, but time will tell, yes the libraries are really awesome, I prefered Kontakt, but sad enough you don't have such an extended library for the same price for Kontakt yet.

They usually stop playing when you stop playing in Reaper, but yesterday I saw a few ones that still where sustaining even though the play cursor had stopped. This was playing in realtime, not recorded notes.

Yes the sustain pedal was indeed an issue, so I already removed it, much better, but still from time to time this seem to happen. I only had one instance playing so really no other stuff was playing, I wonder if it's not related to my keyboard, it seems to send out data that isn't always needed, so I'll check that first, I remember that some aftertouch data is still in the recording, so maybe that's one of the issues or maybe the way Reaper handles this. I saw a few posts on this earlier on the reaper forums.

thanks a bunch, cheers!

Windows 10, latest version of Play, no hanging notes, no sustain issues.

Thanks, then it mus be an issue on my system or keyboard thanks!

Change the input device from ALL MIDI Channels to your specific keyboard input, assuming Reaper is similar to Cubase. That's what the problem is with my setup and it happens on a lot of synths including Play.

Try it and see if that fixes the problem.

thejonsolo wrote:Windows 10, latest version of Play, no hanging notes, no sustain issues.
Same here.

Some sample libraries will hang notes in Play or Kontakt if you stop the transport or loop between sections. If there was no "note off" received by the plugin it may keep playing. Are you experiencing this or is the issue in the context of a song that is playing in real time?

hve wrote:Hi goldenhelix,
thanks for your time and help, much appreciated!!

Other then the hanging notes the EQ play is actually working pretty nice here, it's very easy to use and regular updates, but time will tell, yes the libraries are really awesome, I prefered Kontakt, but sad enough you don't have such an extended library for the same price for Kontakt yet.

They usually stop playing when you stop playing in Reaper, but yesterday I saw a few ones that still where sustaining even though the play cursor had stopped. This was playing in realtime, not recorded notes.

Yes the sustain pedal was indeed an issue, so I already removed it, much better, but still from time to time this seem to happen. I only had one instance playing so really no other stuff was playing, I wonder if it's not related to my keyboard, it seems to send out data that isn't always needed, so I'll check that first, I remember that some aftertouch data is still in the recording, so maybe that's one of the issues or maybe the way Reaper handles this. I saw a few posts on this earlier on the reaper forums.

thanks a bunch, cheers!

wagtunes wrote:Change the input device from ALL MIDI Channels to your specific keyboard input, assuming Reaper is similar to Cubase. That's what the problem is with my setup and it happens on a lot of synths including Play.

Try it and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks wagtunes, I'll try this in reaper, indeed I use all midi channels as midi input.

Scotty wrote:Some sample libraries will hang notes in Play or Kontakt if you stop the transport or loop between sections. If there was no "note off" received by the plugin it may keep playing. Are you experiencing this or is the issue in the context of a song that is playing in real time?
Most times it's in realtime I have the issue, but indeed I also had this using Kontakt some time ago, not all the time but in some cases I had hanging notes.

I'm first going to test the suggestion to use the specific midi input only and see what happens, other then that I really love Reaper and the libraries are fantastic, so it would really be great to be able to use them. thanks

Hey guys, whenever I play the legato strings in ewqlso running on cubase and record it, some of the notes do not play! Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Return to “Instruments”