Reaper and Bitwig.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really quite happy because I have learned something new about the features/controls of synthesizers/keyboards.

legato and portamento

I appreciate your help

Automating any of the parameters of a synthesizer is normal not peculiar haha lol.

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 amI don't know why you're getting on your high horse!
I'm really trying not to! But you change the subject of the topic all the time, at least from reader's perspective. For all I know that sample you posted was your goal from the start, but you never explained it well! First it was about programmers, then computer experts, then portamento/glide, now its about oscillators within single synth. Why didn't you posted that sample in your opening post saying - I want this, with precise control!

Make up your mind or THINK before you post about what readers will understand from it :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:38 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:31 am If you want to gradually move between pitches between two chords each note at the time, you're talking about MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression), which is indeed supported by Bitwig:
I don't want to play it. I'm happy just to draw it. I don't think i'd achieve the same results by playing it. TBH i'm only a basic keyboard player, I don't need more expression by MPE!
The videos he posted is how you draw it in in Bitwig not how to play it... especially the first one... perhaps you should watch them first...

Through the MPE support directly in Bitwigs midi editor you can draw pitch automation for every single note as if it would be automation while staying neatly on the piano roll grid

Another method which works in many DAWs supporting this like Ableton, Reaper or Studio One is by using VST3 Instruments/ or their native instruments which offer the possibility to type in direct values as automation points as semi tones...or they already have a semi tone grid for automation where the points are snapping to...

A general hint: You should really think a little bit before posting any questions here...
This whole thread would be one page long instead of six if you would able to make your questions a bit more precise... let me correct this: a whole lot more precise...
Reading your postings is like entering a guessing game...
No offense but would make everything easier...

Trancit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 am
Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:38 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:31 am If you want to gradually move between pitches between two chords each note at the time, you're talking about MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression), which is indeed supported by Bitwig:
I don't want to play it. I'm happy just to draw it. I don't think i'd achieve the same results by playing it. TBH i'm only a basic keyboard player, I don't need more expression by MPE!
The videos he posted is how you draw it in in Bitwig not how to play it... especially the first one... perhaps you should watch them first...

Through the MPE support directly in Bitwigs midi editor you can draw pitch automation for every single note as if it would be automation while staying neatly on the piano roll grid

Another method which works in many DAWs supporting this like Ableton, Reaper or Studio One is by using VST3 Instruments/ or their native instruments which offer the possibility to type in direct values as automation points as semi tones...or they already have a semi tone grid for automation where the points are snapping to...

A general hint: You should really think a little bit before posting any questions here...
This whole thread would be one page long instead of six if you would able to make your questions a bit more precise... let me correct this: a whole lot more precise...
No offense but would make everything easier...
But i'm not using Bitwig, Ableton, Reaper, or Studio One. I'm using Reason. I have been making enquiries about other DAWs since the beginning of the thread.

I was after precision automation, I don't see what the problem is. I wasn't after legato, portamento, or MPE but i'll bare it in mind.
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:28 am Does either of these DAW have very accurate automation which Reason 10 (I use) doesn't have?

To be honest I've been advised don't change your DAW, but very accurate automation is something I want.
This was a second question I asked on the same subject. (the third post on the first page)

Then I got: "why do you want accurate automation!" I could've replied "mind your own business" but I was being friendly explaining as best I can.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Then I said (for an explanation of the original question "Is/are Reaper and Bitwig a software for a computer programmer because I got the impression it is/they are?"):
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:26 pm Also it seems half the people on this forum are a computer programmer, and it seems the most popular DAWs on this forum are Reaper and Bitwig I'm not asking about for example Cubase, because I know Cubase. I don't know Reaper and Bitwig.
and
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 pm Also I've joined this community (KVR) where a lot of people are using these softwares: Reaper and Bitwig. I had a quick look at it, but then I felt overwhelmed by it. I'm just asking, i'm just taking an interest in Reaper and Bitwig and the people who use it.
and later
Spring Goose wrote: Thankyou, you answered my question. So computer programmers do write utilities with script languages such as in Bitwig and Reaper. So that's why/where I got my impression!
I really don't understand why people are getting on their high horse.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also, it would be a lot easier if people weren't so quick to get on their high horse!

Thanks, you have whet my appetite for MPE. I'll look at it again when I have £315 for Bitwig and £229 for Reason 11.

I have a problem with my brain which means i'm incapable of thinking.

Trancit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 am This whole thread would be one page long instead of six if you would able to make your questions a bit more precise... let me correct this: a whole lot more precise...
Yeah right.

1/
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:37 pm Is/are Reaper and Bitwig a software for a computer programmer because I got the impression it is/they are?
2/
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:28 am Does either of these DAW have very accurate automation which Reason 10 (I use) doesn't have?

To be honest I've been advised don't change your DAW, but very accurate automation is something I want.

The replies could've been:

1/ "no"

2/ "yes"

1/ "no but they do have means to write scripts like for example Max4live"

Hold the front page!

"Argument/disagreement on a KVR thread"

I’ve been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech.

I’m afraid I have to trust Floris on this one. You see, she has her doctorate in speech impedimentology from Case Western. Perhaps you’ve read her memoirs, “I can’t understand a word any of you are saying.”

Spring Goose wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 amThanks, you have whet my appetite for MPE. I'll look at it again when I have £315 for Bitwig and £229 for Reason 11.
Reason 11 doesn't support VST3 nor MPE.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”