Is it Honestly True That Access Virus = VSTI's

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've always wanted one as it is the iconic trance synth but people say that you can get the same sound with any vsti, without the hassle of hardware integration? Is that really true?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

kenny saunders wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am Is that really true?
Short answer: no.

It was an iconic trance synth because it has the right sound for this genre. Then it was mostly replaced by software - Sylenth, Massive, Spire and the like and the sound of mainstream trance changed somewhat, not necessarily to better.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

In before: list my favourite synth.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

The OP should try Reaper.

Seriously, though. IMO, the appeal of the Virus is rather the sweet spot. It's where many soft synths simply suck. There are a couple of exception now, though. But, in essence, for me, a instrument has to be musical. It has to be fun to play. In many varieties. IMO, that's where bad instruments lack. They sound good for a very narrow, special use case.

The Virus is a digital synth, just like VSTs are. So it is strange to compare it to VSTs in general. Kind of like comparing a minimoog to analog synths. Or comparing Massive to VSTs. What makes the Virus special isn't that it's contained in a hardware box, it's the actual design and sound, oscillators, filter algorithms etc. Same that makes any individual VST special and unmatched by others. The Virus has it's own character that worked really well for certain genres as the filter really nice but also super punchy, has the super saw thing going on and all the rest. I think it's actually amazingly versatile.

Viper has done a great job in capturing the sound ofthe basic structure (aside from the formant and graintable oscs), so it shows that it can be done in software. I'm sure if the folks at Access had decided to make a VST version based on the design, it would have sounded identical.

They did have a plugin version years ago.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:42 am
kenny saunders wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am Is that really true?
Short answer: no.

It was an iconic trance synth because it has the right sound for this genre. Then it was mostly replaced by software - Sylenth, Massive, Spire and the like and the sound of mainstream trance changed somewhat, not necessarily to better.
Even shorter answer: No.

But Viper can get you close.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 pm They did have a plugin version years ago.
Yeah. Shame it never had been developed as a VSTi.

On the other hand, I can very well understand the reason why it wasn't. Apart from contracts with manufacturers of DSP cards, it wouldn't have made much sense to compete against the own hardware, and cut into the own sales.

What I always wondered, though, is that soft synth developers never took notice, and learned about what made the Virus so insanely popular. Or, tried to build on that, and improve the sound/design/whatever. OK, maybe also a matter of the skills to do so.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 pm They did have a plugin version years ago.
Was that the TC powercore hardware dsp one?
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

Yeah, they also ported it to that Pro Tools DSP card (don't remember the name now).

kenny saunders wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Yes, it was locked to Powercore or Protools hardware so it was essentially the same thing as Virus Control plugin that goes with Virus TI, except that it was 32 bit only afaik.

As others said, Viper is the closest. Still misses some of the important features of TI and sounds somewhat different but worth trying if you are on Win.

kenny saunders wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am I've always wanted one as it is the iconic trance synth but people say that you can get the same sound with any vsti, without the hassle of hardware integration? Is that really true?

yes, not any synth, but there are a few that easily replace it
Last edited by AnX on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 pm
Yes, it was locked to Powercore or Protools hardware so it was essentially the same thing as Virus Control plugin that goes with Virus TI, except that it was 32 bit only afaik.
I think they also limited the voices to 16 voices. Or, depending how many DSP chips your card has on it.

I almost bought the Powercore version once, but... then I realized that messing with 32-bit, and questionable future proofness was too much hassle. :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm
recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 pm
I think they also limited the voices to 16 voices. Or, depending how many DSP chips your card has on it.

I almost bought the Powercore version once, but... then I realized that messing with 32-bit, and questionable future proofness was too much hassle. :)
Second hand Snow would be much better investment, and not much more expensive I think.
AnX wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:36 pm
kenny saunders wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am I've always wanted one as it is the iconic trance synth but people say that you can get the same sound with any vsti, without the hassle of hardware integration? Is that really true?

yes, not any synth, but there are a few that easily replace it
It depends

True. Makes no sense to go for such a DSP card now, IMO.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”