One Synth Challenge #132: ToneZ by t0nit0rmx (MrKarollus Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my OSC entry with ToneZ this month - it's back to the '80s (and soundtracks) again: Red Lingerie in Danger (no less!)

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/red- ... -in-danger

Surprised and pleased with the sound of it, despite the envelope issues and the somewhat random preset mess that we touched upon earlier.

Enjoyable round. I quite like carving out creative workarounds for messy beta-like synths like this - the end result feels like a more "personal" effort somehow.

25 ToneZ's from scratch. DAW: Studio One

Master chain: 3 ProEQs -> DD Reverb -> StereoTool -> WA Tube Saturator Free -> Unlimited

Other efx: 9 ProEQs, 8 DC1As, 1 DD Compressor, 1 DD Gate, 3 Transients, 3 Beatskillz Max1, 5 DD Delays, 1 TAL Reverb4, 1 Dragonfly Room, 1 Dragonfly Hall
Last edited by schiing on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Well was hoping to make something for this round. So I started managed to get some decent percussions non tonal and also tonal with some other instruments. Was fool I did not save them in fxp. After loading project all lost. Every instance sound same as first loaded instance in FL Studio 20. I call this really bad bug. Not going to invest more time. I like challenge but this behavior is not funny.

I also encountered a similar problem in FL Studio 12. Try this: upload your FL Studio project and immediately after that, without opening any existing ToneZ instances, upload additional ToneZ instance. It sounds stupid, but this is how I start every session of working on the project, otherwise all instances of ToneZ open with a broken interface and strange sounds.

TrojakEW wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:21 pm Well was hoping to make something for this round. So I started managed to get some decent percussions non tonal and also tonal with some other instruments. Was fool I did not save them in fxp. After loading project all lost. Every instance sound same as first loaded instance in FL Studio 20. I call this really bad bug. Not going to invest more time. I like challenge but this behavior is not funny.
Yeah, I hear that. I got to admit, I probably won't go back to this synth unless those kinks are sorted out. I finished my track (nervously) in one session. I don't even dare to think what would happen if I tried to open it again now. Capable of some nice, full sounds - but lots of work ahead for the developer :)
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

TrojakEW wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:21 pm Well was hoping to make something for this round. So I started managed to get some decent percussions non tonal and also tonal with some other instruments. Was fool I did not save them in fxp. After loading project all lost. Every instance sound same as first loaded instance in FL Studio 20. I call this really bad bug. Not going to invest more time. I like challenge but this behavior is not funny.
Sorry to read that you have problems. No problems on Bitwig 3.1.2, Win 10, ToneZ Vst2. Seems more like a FL Studio + ToneZ missbehaving in combination and not a specific ToneZ only problem.

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's more likely a Cabbage problem. ToneZ itself contains very little DSP or IO code. Saving and loading is done by saving the GUI state, which has some unfortunate side effects. Cabbage is in charge of the GUI (one of the key points of Cabbage in fact) and thus is in charge of saving and loading GUI states.

It's a case compounding errors. CSound is old and out dated, Cabbage is a new and under-developed/under-tested framework wrapping CSound, and ToneZ was built upon the concept of hooking CSound channels together with Cabbage as the GUI and VST wrapper. It's akin to building a synth with Reaktor, if Reaktor was built by hobbyist programmers and not a large company.

Doesn't look like there's going to be any update soon in the pipeline. I've been able to make it work and have nearly finished my entry, but not everyone will have such luck.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Hello boys and girls

Here's my entry.
Daw: Reason Studio 11
Effects: reverb on the pad track

Why a waltz? I found this style very appropriate for this synthesizer.
https://soundcloud.com/zicolafaillesoun ... n-the-song

zicolafaille wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:18 am
Why a waltz? I found this style very appropriate for this synthesizer.
Because this synth has only reached, ahem, 3/4 of its full potential...? :-P

A pleasing 90 seconds, there - although I think you could have afforded an old-fashioned ending, if only for my peace of mind!

Alright here we go, first OSC in many years!

My Submission:
https://soundcloud.com/dakkra/the-in-between

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kb-mie0AX0

DAW: Bitwig 3.1.2

VST:
  • 11x ToneZ
  • 1x TDR Nova Standard Edition
DAW Effects:
  • 1x Multi-Note
  • 1x Arpeggiator
  • 1x Diatonic Transposer
  • 6x Compressor
  • 18x Dynamics
  • 3x Eq-2
  • 6x Eq-5
  • 5x 3-Band FX
  • 2x Mid-Side Split
  • 9x Tool
  • 1x Clip (Via grid)
  • 3x Reverb
  • 1x Peak Limiter
  • 1x Oscilloscope
  • 2x Spectrum Analyzer
It's great to enter another OSC finally! Thanks for the opportunity :D :hug: :tu:
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Here's my track to follow Jas! As promised elsewhere … a Polka ...

DAW:Reaper

Track Details:
20 * ToneZ
20 * ReaEQ
15 * JS MIDI Note filter
7 * JS Transient Controller
6 * TDR Feedback Compressor II
5 * Oril River
1 * Bass Professor MK II
1 * ReaDelay
1 * LFX-1310

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
Limiter No 6

Metering
SPAn
YouLean Loundness Meter 2 (Free)

Stats:
LUFS: -12.2
DR: 10

Enjoy …

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... c132-tonez
Last edited by doctorbob on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Love how tight that is Jasinki! Nice job!

This is my entry for One Synth Challenge #132:
https://soundcloud.com/mrkarolus/mrkaro ... de-osc-132

DAW: Reaper

Mixing:

ToneZ x35
A1TriggerGate x6
BlueARP x1
bx_subfilter x2
FiltR x3
Marvel GEQ x2
MAutopan x3
MCompressor x6
Molot x1
OrilRiver x7
OTT x7
ReaEQ x35
Rough Rider x1
RoughRider3 x1

Mastering:

Qrange
Luftikus
bx_subfilter
A1StereoControl
Limiter No6

IV! wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 pm I also encountered a similar problem in FL Studio 12. Try this: upload your FL Studio project and immediately after that, without opening any existing ToneZ instances, upload additional ToneZ instance. It sounds stupid, but this is how I start every session of working on the project, otherwise all instances of ToneZ open with a broken interface and strange sounds.
Hi IV!,
thx a lot for the trick, works fine for me in FL 20.0.3 :tu:
very unusual bug that I never had before ...

Have a great day
Kraftraum
https://soundcloud.com/kraftraum
-8<-------------------
Take it or break it!

Return to “Instruments”