Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I never left 8)

kae wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm
dtrq wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm
kae wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
And open the full mixer view when you want to.. mix.
Nothing prevents you from having this workflow in Reaper.
Is that by using the 3rd party script I read about in here or something? I remember doing a search for it once, since Reaper is so flexible, but couldn't find a solution for it then.
I work in this way. You can dock the mixer on the side, so only the selected track is displayed.
That's why I actually never use the big mixer anymore.

Edit: And you can choose the elements you want, it's now easy with the Theme Adjuster:

Edit:
Okay that would be problematicly:
I think it isn't possible to show all plugins in the TCP at the moment. But you can choose wich. But I like the workflow with the docked left mixer
Last edited by Faiky on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Is there a good, consistent FLAT theme for v6?

I really like how they've cleaned up the GUI in this new version, but for example the volume knob or mute/solo buttons look like they're from another era...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Why you left REAPER?

kae wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm
Is that by using the 3rd party script I read about in here or something? I remember doing a search for it once, since Reaper is so flexible, but couldn't find a solution for it then.
No. You just click view and remove or add whatever you want on the screen.

I like that I can still use 32 bit. Lots of other reasons that matter far less.

Faiky wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm I think it isn't possible to show all plugins in the TCP at the moment. But you can choose wich. But I like the workflow with the docked left mixer
Try this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210987

Damn, I just went through that 15-piece video tutorial, d/l the demo and I gotta say it's amazing! :o

Sure it's weird at places but that coat of new paint in v6 really makes it very appealing... And I thought I'm through with buying DAWs... :D
Music tech enthusiast

Awesome features. Incredibly stable. But give it a thorough courtship before you take it down the aisle.

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:35 pm Awesome features. Incredibly stable. But give it a thorough courtship before you take it down the aisle.
Indeed. Some simple stuff had me stumped, for example:
- automating any parameter of VST requires either to find it on a - often huge - list or at least going to the menu and adding a envelope for last touched parameter from there,
- adding an empty MIDI clip is weird, probably because a track can take any type of item - in most daws one just double-clicks and gets a clip
- adding dots to automation is cumbersome, requiring modifier; I've not figured out how to add curves to automation yet
- the MIDI editor - if I have 4 clips one after another - will only show me the contents of the 1st clip, but with playback it will move to "empty" space where the other clips are, but I can't see their content,

And so on & so on. I'm sure majority (or all) of the above is my own fault for not knowing the right shortcuts or settings :)

I gave it up for now, but I'm happy to know I can get it and use it quite without much fuss which wasn't that obvious to me just this morning ;)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:23 pm Indeed. Some simple stuff had me stumped, for example:
- automating any parameter of VST requires either to find it on a - often huge - list or at least going to the menu and adding a envelope for last touched parameter from there,
I made a shortcut (ALT+A) for "Show/Hide track envelope for last touched FX parameter"
so I just touch a knob in a VST... ALT+A and ready to go...
- adding an empty MIDI clip is weird, probably because a track can take any type of item - in most daws one just double-clicks and gets a clip
Again a shortcut works fine here: "Insert new midi item" which creates a new midi item on the selected track ... you define the length with the time selection... just an example though as there are many ways... i.e. in the mouse modifiers for "Track" you can put this "Insert new midi item" to the doubleclick ... even better with making a macro to select the track first you are doubleclicking on...
- adding dots to automation is cumbersome, requiring modifier; I've not figured out how to add curves to automation yet
for me it´s the ALT key ... if you hoover the mouse over the envelope line (not on a node) and hold ALT the cursor should turn from an up/down arrow to a left/right arrow...
Btw: It´s set in the mouse modifiers for "Envelope segment" and there for "left drag" and it´s called "Edit envelope segment curvature"
- the MIDI editor - if I have 4 clips one after another - will only show me the contents of the 1st clip, but with playback it will move to "empty" space where the other clips are, but I can't see their content,
No idea... I am not the PR expert 8)
And so on & so on. I'm sure majority (or all) of the above is my own fault for not knowing the right shortcuts or settings :)

I gave it up for now, but I'm happy to know I can get it and use it quite without much fuss which wasn't that obvious to me just this morning ;)
Reaper is for sure no DAW to learn in a few days... tbh the learning about Reaper never stops...
The best tutorial resource I know is the channel of Kenny Gioa: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq297H ... Q/featured

Trancit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:25 pm The best tutorial resource I know is the channel of Kenny Gioa: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq297H ... Q/featured
Yeah, his are the ones I've watched today and he completely changed my perception of Reaper. Despite his weird habit of pausing mid-phrase and propensity to modulate his voice artificially ;)

And thanks for the tips :tu: :clap:
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:23 pm I gave it up for now, but I'm happy to know I can get it and use it quite without much fuss which wasn't that obvious to me just this morning ;)
If you take your time to set it up you can streamline the workflow quite a bit, but it will take a lot of time to learn it. Good for multitrack recording, audio editing, mixing, mastering and orchestral stuff but if you try to do the stuff you make in Bitwig (sound design, racks, modulation) forget it.

I use a DAW like an Instrument. Bitwig and Waveform 10 are what I use. I feel like old audio systems are not what I need, but a DAW that I can treat like an Instrument.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

mtelesha wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 am I use a DAW like an Instrument. Bitwig and Waveform 10 are what I use. I feel like old audio systems are not what I need, but a DAW that I can treat like an Instrument.
Is that why you left Reaper?

stamp wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:58 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:23 pm I gave it up for now, but I'm happy to know I can get it and use it quite without much fuss which wasn't that obvious to me just this morning ;)
...but if you try to do the stuff you make in Bitwig (sound design, racks, modulation) forget it.
My thoughts exactly! I mean it can do anything, but the time I'd need to set up complex FX chains that I typically do in Bitwig would be 5x more and i don't even want to think what I'd have go through if I wanted to change the order, split types, etc. In this case it's pretty similar to Reason in that it's super flexible, but headache to edit when you change your mind.

The old saying of my grand, grand father rings true - "stick to the DAW that does best the things you do the most of, and pisses you the least for everything else" ;)
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”