Flow (ElectroProg - Seismic Zoning)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good stuff. Stands the test of time (like any good music/sounds.)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

htcnext2 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 am Had another listen to your track. I really like that one. You used ersdrums vst for drums..I recognised the sound of this plugin, not bad for free stuff.. and cubix - an evergreen also. Nice work!
Thanks for the repeated listening, htcnext. Glad you're still enjoying it :)

I only discovered Cubix 10 years ago, and I'm reasonably confident that I'll be using it again in the next 10. I've just moved my entire setup over to a Windows 10 machine, and it all seems to work.

Great to hear this track again Tim. Sounds very clear and is definitely loud in a modern context. Lovely structures and flow. Nice and perky! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm Really good listen Tim - enjoyed it the whole way through a couple of times.

Slow build / ebb and flow is very well judged.

Texture / combination of sounds in there is absolutely superb.

Love the soundstage as well - so many people (including me sometimes) forget about 'front to back' but that aspect works very well here.

I always tend to listen to KVR in my studio (breaks whilst I'm working) so I have a terrible habit of playing along with all the tracks I hear! The one thing that didn't gel 100% with my ear was the melodic content at times. It's good / very good, but I felt that little tiny tweaks here and there could have improved some motifs even further...

Melodies - very individual taste of course and I often listen to JMJ and attempt to change some of his tunes and he's done alright! :)
Thanks very much for listening, Mark, and for the thoughtful comments :)

I wrote this one back in 2010, when I was a young whippersnapper. Now My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled, and I have to rely on memory for some of the details.

All of the synths on here were Freeware/Magware apart from Kicklab XXL.

Regarding the soundstage, I'm not sure which version you listened to, but the original, unmixed version (not featured here) had little of that, only using reverb/delay built into the synths.

The first track featured here was mixed by me in 2012 using some IK/EnergyXT reverbs and EnergyXT delays too, iirc. I tend to mix things up a little in the reverb department, (especially with my more ambient stuff), so I'm not attempting to create a real space here, just an imagined approximation of one.

All other versions featured in this thread were based on the 2013 mix made by Crimson Sun Audio.
I know that the reverbs were changed out during this mix, and the soundstage was almost certainly improved.

As far as the melodic content goes, I had been putting tracks together for about 18 months when I made this one (about 40 tracks up to this time), and had got to the point where I could complete a track like this in a day (this one took 10 hours), so I probably spent less time on the melody than I do these days (although I'm not sure that this aspect of my writing has improved subsequently). I think if I were to rewrite this today, I would make some changes to the timing of the notes in those melodies (although I shall probably deny making this statement later). :)

JMJ. The boy's got potential.

fastlanephil wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:14 am Enjoyed listening to this exceptional effort. It builds nicely and has a hypnotic balance of energy and spaciness.
Thanks very much for the great comments, and for taking the time to listen, phil. Glad it was worthwhile :)
fastlanephil wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:14 am
I’ve never heard this before, but of course I wasn’t born yet when you posted it. :hihi:

I might be dead before the last post about it. :o
I'm taking both of these statements with a pinch of salt :hihi:

CrystalWizard wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:34 pm Good stuff. Stands the test of time (like any good music/sounds.)
Thanks very much for the kind words, and for taking the time to listen, CW. Glad you liked it :)

My next track will feature very few of the redeeming qualities present here :wink:

Wow, I think I kicked off something here again :-)

(( D ))

Allomerus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:26 pm Great to hear this track again Tim. Sounds very clear and is definitely loud in a modern context. Lovely structures and flow. Nice and perky! :)
Glad you're still enjoying this one, John :)

It's hard to believe that this will be 10 years old in May, although it didn't make it to SoundCloud until a couple of years later. After a long hiatus, I'll probably post something new in the next week or so.

seismic1, (writing while listening)...great arpegiator... oh nice lead, both soundwise and melody.... drums..... nice....strings+lead...good....jepp great track. me like it.

~id Sub

drumity wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 pm Wow, I think I kicked off something here again :-)

(( D ))
:)

Kicked my backside, I think. I actually managed to complete a new track last week, after a 21-month hiatus :tu:

seismic1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 am Kicked my backside, I think.
NO. That's not my style :-)
seismic1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 amactually managed to complete a new track last week, after a 21-month hiatus :tu:
STTTRIIIIKE !

(( D ))

idSubmerged wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:11 pm seismic1, (writing while listening)...great arpegiator... oh nice lead, both soundwise and melody.... drums..... nice....strings+lead...good....jepp great track. me like it.

~id Sub
Thanks very much for the listen and comments, idS, Glad you liked it :)

I should have a new track up tomorrow. It will not be as "upbeat" as this one :wink:

drumity wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 pm
seismic1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 am Kicked my backside, I think.
NO. That's not my style :-)
seismic1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 amactually managed to complete a new track last week, after a 21-month hiatus :tu:
STTTRIIIIKE !

(( D ))
:D :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”