Do I need studio monitors? (Presonus Eris E3.5, E4.5, and/or E5 any good?)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
tony10000
KVRian
759 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:02 am

A pair of small monitors and pro grade headphones are fine. You can then reference your mixes on earbuds, other headphones, car speakers, portable speakers, club systems, etc. Using monitors in a room that is not acoustically treated is tricky as the room acoustics and speaker placement will color the sound. If the mix is critical, you can have it mastered at a studio with an acoustically treated room, great monitors, and outboard gear. In the end, it only matters that your mix translates well to the devices and systems where people will listen to them.

recursive one
KVRAF
4598 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Do I need studio monitors? (Presonus Eris E3.5, E4.5, and/or E5 any good?)

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 am

I'd say room treatment is far more important than the speakers. I always had the same pair of 5 inch KRK speakers but when I did some basic treatment in my room (rockwool corner bass traps and side panels, acoustic foam covering on the ceiling), I sorted a lot of problems which my older mixes used to have (lack of clarity, wrong balance, lack of punch in the basslines)

On the downside, this made me much more hard on myself in terms of mixing quality, now I can hardly finish tracks because I'm never happy with the mixing :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Passing Bye
KVRian
1175 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:21 am

The Noodlist
KVRAF
2066 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 pm

pekbro wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 pm
I have a $10K Eurorack system outputting to a $300 pair of Eris 5's. They sound fine for the most part,
save that their low end isn't super low.
I've been looking at monitors and found Tannoy Reveal 502 have good reviews and frequency range: 49 Hz - 45 kHz
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

toonertik
KVRAF
2246 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:35 pm

The Noodlist wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 pm
pekbro wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 pm
I have a $10K Eurorack system outputting to a $300 pair of Eris 5's. They sound fine for the most part,
save that their low end isn't super low.
I've been looking at monitors and found Tannoy Reveal 502 have good reviews and frequency range: 49 Hz - 45 kHz
I have a pair...
Very happy with them...

BUT...

They have just released these, Tannoy gold series in 5, 7 and 8" dual concentric speakers, as made famous by Tannoy, way way back.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tannoy-gold ... gJhTfD_BwE

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... ors-4.html

PS.. I'm still thinking about your ADAT problem... If I get some time later I'll post some thoughts.

clipnotic
KVRist
118 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 pm

I would say nobody needs studio monitors because every studio speaker, especially low and middle class, have their weak points like hi-fi stuff, too. And so you have to train your ears with every speaker again and again. I started with cheap monitors and step by step I bought more expensive monitors. My last "studio system" was a Focal System and it was good. But then I found a 25 years old Hi-Fi plastic compact system with much bass in a cellar from a friend. And we tested if it's stll working. And now I'm using that system since years for making music and sold my Focal stuff and don't miss it. My mixes are not worse than before!

And I don't need a studio soundcard, too because I can simply connect my laptop on my hi-fi system and then using ASIO4all in my DAW. With my Focal system I used a RME soundcard and monitor controller ... just much money for the industriy nobobdy really needs! :D
My english is not the best, feel free to correct me! :D
Actual working with: Omnisphere, Trilian, Rapid, Phoscyon, Avenger, Dune 1-3, Zenith, Serum, Nexus, Surge, Sylenth, Tal, Subdivine, Melodyne, Nora, FL Studio 20.6, Valhalla, Granite ...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”