UAD apollo and plugins owners......is it worth it ? HOnestly

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bill45 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:33 am And try this. [youtube]
I wish the gain had been leveled (the UAD is louder), I wish he wasn't using UAD in stereo and Waves in mono, and I wish he had done something to adjust the difference in brightness (the UAD plugin is inordinately bright). I'd say all-around a disappointing shoot out.

Still, both plugins sounded good, even with the Waves being handicapped here. If I had to pick one of these I'd go with the Waves for 2 key reasons: #1 the amenities (mid/side, etc), and #2 Scheps participation in this - he tested against 10 units and tweaked this thing to match none of them individually but all of them in spirit. The 1073 is his favorite piece of gear and he put a lot of love into this plugin. I enjoy that developer + mix engineer collaboration, I think it makes for better sounding and working plugins.

Plus, the better Scheps version can be had on sale for like $13 when you buy 2 plugins.

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 am Which makes the Waves SoundGrid system perfect for future-proofing your system. It opens a lot of doors to the way music will be made and shared in the future.
Shill much ? :lol:

Anyway, Soundgrid is nothing but a hdx imitation. Made only to keep ppl using mediocre Waves plug-ins and sell them overpriced hardware. Plus tie customers to their ridiculous annual fees.
More BPM please

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:02 pm
musicdoc wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 am 7. LUNA? If you like to experiment it’s interesting. As for me, I’ll wait and see where it’s at in a few years. Why do free beta testing when there are platforms with multiple decades of experience.

And why do you think UAD has now diversified into the DAW making business?

Do you think it has anything to do with their predictions of future (needs) of external DSP?
It seems like a far stretch for a DSP card manufacturer to go all the way to the other end of the spectrum as a DAW maker. Times have changed and so has technologies and dated analog emulations, large mixing consoles, multiple in/out devices and the need for external DSP.

The future of audio will be LAN based systems which makes a lot of the current gear outdated.
An i7/9 CPU desktop, 16/32 megs of RAM and an SSD and you're good to go. But if you need even more DSP power, Soundgrid servers along with their networking capabilities makes latency a nonissue.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm
It seems like a far stretch for a DSP card manufacturer to go all the way to the other end of the spectrum as a DAW maker. Times have changed and so has technologies and dated analog emulations, large mixing consoles, multiple in/out devices and the need for external DSP.

The future of audio will be LAN based systems which makes a lot of the current gear outdated.
An i7/9 CPU desktop, 16/32 megs of RAM and an SSD and you're good to go. But if you need even more DSP power, Soundgrid servers along with their networking capabilities makes latency a nonissue.
It‘s not such a far stretch. UAD’s strength is low latency monitoring through good plugins for tracking. Having an all in one integrated system only for tracking can be a plus.

And future will not be LAN based solutions for processing, most likely, what makes you assume that? There’s no indication of industry going there.

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm

It‘s not such a far stretch. UAD’s strength is low latency monitoring through good plugins for tracking. Having an all in one integrated system only for tracking can be a plus.

And future will not be LAN based solutions for processing, most likely, what makes you assume that? There’s no indication of industry going there.
Waves Soundgrid system also has nearly 0 latency recording including networked DSP for a faction of the cost. The future is local area networks, such as Soundgrid. It just makes sense, perfect for collaborations, backups, live applications, sharing and a host of other things.

Some people still think investing in a large analog console is a smart idea...

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm An i7/9 CPU desktop, 16/32 megs of RAM and an SSD and you're good to go. But if you need even more DSP power, Soundgrid servers along with their networking capabilities makes latency a nonissue.
An i7/9 desktop is already good enough. You definately don't need an overpriced buggy Soundgrid system with that.
More BPM please

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 am
Waves Soundgrid system also has nearly 0 latency recording including networked DSP for a faction of the cost. The future is local area networks, such as Soundgrid. It just makes sense, perfect for collaborations, backups, live applications, sharing and a host of other things.

Unless Pro-Q3 can be used on sound grid, don't see anyone migrating. :D
I don't have a large analog console in my studio, we made sure to lay high performance CAT7 cables, but i still don't see how soundgrid would fit into that story...

dionenoid wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:38 am
burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 pm An i7/9 CPU desktop, 16/32 megs of RAM and an SSD and you're good to go. But if you need even more DSP power, Soundgrid servers along with their networking capabilities makes latency a nonissue.
An i7/9 desktop is already good enough. You definately don't need an overpriced buggy Soundgrid system with that.
Now rumors of overpriced and buggy systems, first you couldn't even figure out how to install the plugins with Waves Central, now this... :lol:

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:24 am
burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 am

Unless Pro-Q3 can be used on sound grid, don't see anyone migrating. :D
I don't have a large analog console in my studio, we made sure to lay high performance CAT7 cables, but i still don't see how soundgrid would fit into that story...
Pro Q3, you mean the over-hyped tool for people with bad ear training and the need to rely on visual feedback to EQ audio? :lol:

If you can't mix a professional quality song with Waves plugins, Psst... it's not the plugins.

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 pm Pro Q3, you mean the over-hyped tool for people with bad ear training and the need to rely on visual feedback to EQ audio? :lol:

If you can't mix a professional quality song with Waves plugins, Psst... it's not the plugins.
are waves paying you? :wink:

Your 2nd argument is moot anyway, you can mix a professional quality song with stock DAW plugins if you know what you're doing.

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:17 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 pm Pro Q3, you mean the over-hyped tool for people with bad ear training and the need to rely on visual feedback to EQ audio? :lol:

are waves paying you? :wink:

Your 2nd argument is moot anyway, you can mix a professional quality song with stock DAW plugins if you know what you're doing.
Seems you are just following me around in threads, I think some people would call this cyber-stalking.

Anyways...

Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that UAD decided to name their product Apollo after a mythic god?

Think about it...

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Seems you are just following me around in threads, I think some people would call this cyber-stalking.

Anyways...

Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that UAD decided to name their product Apollo after a mythic god?

Think about it...
i'm really not :) i had two quotes from you in notifications.

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:01 pm Now rumors of overpriced and buggy systems, first you couldn't even figure out how to install the plugins with Waves Central, now this... :lol:
You're mistaken me with someone else. Just like you're mistaken Soundgrid for a useful system :lol:

But anyway, it has nothing to do with UAD Apollo. Apples and oranges. But seems you have no experience with either of them so i really wonder why you keep bringing it up. Reading your comments here and in other Waves topics i suspect you're just a shill. :wink:
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:33 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:01 pm Now rumors of overpriced and buggy systems, first you couldn't even figure out how to install the plugins with Waves Central, now this... :lol:
You're mistaken me with someone else. Just like you're mistaken Soundgrid for a useful system :lol:

But anyway, it has nothing to do with UAD Apollo. Apples and oranges. But seems you have no experience with either of them so i really wonder why you keep bringing it up. Reading your comments here and in other Waves topics i suspect you're just a shill. :wink:
Someone made a statement earlier, something like... you can't make a Casio sound like a Moog.

Simple, you load up one of a thousand Moog emulation plugins and use the Casio as a midi controller, like everyone else would do.

Some people have a lot to learn about the real world of audio... good luck with that, I'm wasting my time here. Time to move onto something productive... :lol:

Zing!!!

Return to “Effects”