How much does the color/ finish of a guitar matter to you?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's ironic how both guitars I got for their looks, didn't have that look upon delivery (my Epiphone LP has another finish, my Gibson Firebird Tribute doesn't have the diagonal wood grain lines I liked so much in the shop's picture).

Thomann seem to make their own gear pics, I suspect they put effort into it, picking above-average products.
Take this Ibanez, with a 2 tone fretboard.
Compare it to the (stock?) pic at Bax.

They should show pics of the actual instrument. Like e.g. Sweetwater does (and Andertons sometimes).

Until they do, people who are fond of wood grain and such are better off in a brick & mortar shop.

(pics: Thomann, Bax, Gear4Music)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cptgone wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:49 pm Thomann seem to make their own gear pics, I suspect they put effort into it, picking above-average products.

They should show pics of the actual instrument. Like e.g. Sweetwater does (and Andertons sometimes).

Until they do, people who are fond of wood grain and such are better off in a brick & mortar shop.

Whichever way you photograph it, that's still a horrible looking guitar. :hihi:

i definitely prefer how sweetwater and zzounds do it, where you can look at each guitar and choose by serial #.
still, sometimes, the photos just don't do 'em justice.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:22 pm
cptgone wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:49 pm Thomann seem to make their own gear pics, I suspect they put effort into it, picking above-average products.

Are they using the nozzle from a bottle of Fairy Liquid for a strap button?

If anything the sweetwater ones always look better IRL. I think it's because they aren't trying to make the guitar look prettier by fancy lighting and angles and time in Photoshop editing. The lighting at home will always be different then those at the shop.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:22 pm

I think it's gorgeous from some vantage points (never seen one IRL, I suspect I'd like her even more if she was thinner).

HB has another baritone planned for 2020. Prolly a 6 string (they already have a 7 string).
I'm trying to hold off buying Gear4Music's offering (nice looks, looong fretboard, pickups that aren't limited to hi-gain) until I find out what the HB will be like. Or perhaps I'll just go crazy and order the customized Kiesel of my dreams...

Speaking of Gear4Music, saw this pretty bass. This is a finish I wouldn't mind.
Through neck.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Online stock image vs real-world guitar is always a worry with transparent ash bodies on fender guitars (I only own ash guitars because I'm one of those weirdos), when you can't see what you're ordering beforehand you occasionally end up with a pretty janky looking 3 piece body with incongruous grain. Just bugs me to look at. Or, you get a nice 2 piece but the grain is very "streaky" looking vs the classic "swamp". It's always taking a shot in the dark! I'd pay a bit more to get a piece of ash I want to look at all day, haha.

Customers usually insist that guitars be sealed. Maybe Sweetwater and Thomann can get away with it because they’re so big? Anyway, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the future of guitar selling, many brick and mortar guitar shops won’t be reopening after the shelter in place is over.

Sweetwater always unpacks, sets up, shoots and repacks I'd rather have them inspect my guitar before shipping then just move it along the line.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I'm not too fussy about the color & finish, something simple like this suits me fine.
https://www.espguitars.com/videos/2034262

But seriously, I prefer a single color, my strat is Ocean Turquoise, I'm looking for a Jazz bass in similar finish.

You've got to love that the steering wheel works! I've been to the ESP Custom Shop in Shibuya, it was open to the public and a very popular attraction, almost like a museum.

Uncle E wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:45 pm You've got to love that the steering wheel works! I've been to the ESP Custom Shop in Shibuya, it was open to the public and a very popular attraction, almost like a museum.
I was hoping to visit Japan this winter, not sure when that's going to happen now. Certainly need to visit the ESP shop when I do.

Return to “Guitars”