Why you switched to Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Doc Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 pm I've been trying the latest SO the last couple of days and so far I like it a lot except for the midi editor. How in the heck can I click on the editor where I want and zoom in to the midi notes? Zoom seems to be random and not the behavior I expected?
What you mean by "random"?

Just click on the clip you want to edit, then use trackpad or mouse wheel with modifier keys & their combinations to scroll around, zoom in horizontally and vertically. The first two you can also achieve dragging the ruler left/right and up/down respectively. There's also W/E keys alone or with Shift.

EDIT: 1st 5 minutes of this video show what's what :)

https://youtu.be/kf5MxgoZ99s
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I switched from Cubase to S1, because Cubase did not allow me to drag n drop files from the media bay on to the vst Mpc software which is my main tool for production, which dragging files from studio ones browser did let me. BUT!! This was on a mac.

Little did I know once I switched to windows 10, Presonus studio one, has the same issue as Cubase on pc. I've tried all admin permissions, on n off, n still won't accept the drag n drop from the S1 browser.
Now I'm forced to wait on Presonus to fix this problem, it's been several years now. I refuse to go back to the Mac, as it would solve my problem, but I prefer to work on windows.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 pm I switched from Cubase to S1, because Cubase did not allow me to drag n drop files from the media bay on to the vst Mpc software which is my main tool for production, which dragging files from studio ones browser did let me. BUT!! This was on a mac.

Little did I know once I switched to windows 10, Presonus studio one, has the same issue as Cubase on pc. I've tried all admin permissions, on n off, n still won't accept the drag n drop from the S1 browser.
Now I'm forced to wait on Presonus to fix this problem, it's been several years now. I refuse to go back to the Mac, as it would solve my problem, but I prefer to work on windows.
Why wait that long. Go back to what is working.

beatmangler443 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:15 pm Why wait that long. Go back to what is working.
Read again - Cubase wasn't working at all, S1 worked on Mac but not on PC.
Music tech enthusiast

Seems like a odd issue though. What exactly happens when you drag & drop? Does it let you drag the files, and then simply refuses to paste them in? Or... doesn't it even let you drag? If its the latter, I'd check my mouse, because, I had a similar issue with a mouse once, where it simply "lost" the files during the dragging, because the switch of the mouse was defective.

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:17 pm
beatmangler443 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:15 pm Why wait that long. Go back to what is working.
Does it work with any other of the available DAWs? Might be a Windows limitation...
You can usually get demo versions of the major DAWs to try.

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm
Doc Brown wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 pm I've been trying the latest SO the last couple of days and so far I like it a lot except for the midi editor. How in the heck can I click on the editor where I want and zoom in to the midi notes? Zoom seems to be random and not the behavior I expected?
What you mean by "random"?

Just click on the clip you want to edit, then use trackpad or mouse wheel with modifier keys & their combinations to scroll around, zoom in horizontally and vertically. The first two you can also achieve dragging the ruler left/right and up/down respectively. There's also W/E keys alone or with Shift.

EDIT: 1st 5 minutes of this video show what's what :)

https://youtu.be/kf5MxgoZ99s

Fantastic!

Thanks antic. Just what I needed. :dog: :tu:

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 pm Seems like a odd issue though. What exactly happens when you drag & drop? Does it let you drag the files, and then simply refuses to paste them in? Or... doesn't it even let you drag? If its the latter, I'd check my mouse, because, I had a similar issue with a mouse once, where it simply "lost" the files during the dragging, because the switch of the mouse was defective.
It won't allow the drop to take place, both Presonus and Akai are aware of this issue. Thanks, but the mouse isn't the issue, I wish it was. I've tested on numerous pc's. One of the lead developers from Akai, suggested it's a Presonus issue, as they claim that their software works fine, and it does inside daws such as Ableton and Bitwig. On both windows and Mac. So it indeed does sound like a Presonus problem.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:41 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:17 pm
Does it work with any other of the available DAWs? Might be a Windows limitation...
You can usually get demo versions of the major DAWs to try.

Ableton and Bitwig browsers, work great with the drag n drop. I just wish Presonus would look into this, as I love this daw and prefer windows.
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:21 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 pm Seems like a odd issue though. What exactly happens when you drag & drop? Does it let you drag the files, and then simply refuses to paste them in? Or... doesn't it even let you drag? If its the latter, I'd check my mouse, because, I had a similar issue with a mouse once, where it simply "lost" the files during the dragging, because the switch of the mouse was defective.
It won't allow the drop to take place, both Presonus and Akai are aware of this issue. Thanks, but the mouse isn't the issue, I wish it was. I've tested on numerous pc's. One of the lead developers from Akai, suggested it's a Presonus issue, as they claim that their software works fine, and it does inside daws such as Ableton and Bitwig. On both windows and Mac. So it indeed does sound like a Presonus problem.
Ah... then I got you wrong. I thought it was a general drag & drop issue, while, as you described it, it seems to be a problem with drag & drop between DAW and the MPC software.

Yes indeed unfortunately. Thanks for the reply.
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I was a long time Logic user (still use it actually but it's not my main). After Lion was released Logic 9 has major performance issues that were so frustrating I had to figure something out since Apple was not fixing the issue. S1 looked like the most Logic like DAW at the time. Tried the demo and loved it. Bought it after the 30 day trial expired.

That was version 2.x of Studio One. I moved fully to Studio One when LPX game out and that was a freaking mess when it came out. It was buggy and slow at the time.

Have been using S1 as my main ever since. I was initially dissapointed when I first started using it because it lacked what I thought were major features at the time. Over time they either added the features or I learned to workaround some of those features.

It's a great DAW, the workflow really feels modern and straightforward. I just wish Presonus would take a version to polish what they have. It's been getting buggier with every release. Some features feel half-implemented (like multi-instruments and multi-effects, macro knobs etc) and they really need to revisit midi.

Automation is imo one it's strong suits. Automating things in S1 is super easy and straightforward and I've never had issues with the automation not being bang on like in Logic where the automation would be completely out of sync sometimes.

I actually like S1's piano roll more than Logic's. Especially after 4.0 came out. Macros really help here.

Audio editing is great. Better in certain regards compared to Logic imo. Especially when I first got S1. Logic was still doing fade files and all that at the time and it would take forever to process the waveform when adding a file to the arrange view.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Automation is imo one it's strong suits. Automating things in S1 is super easy and straightforward and I've never had issues with the automation not being bang on like in Logic where the automation would be completely out of sync sometimes.
To me, automation is one of the weakest points in Studio One. You can't encapsulate automation into clips (unless you use MIDI automation only, and some clunky workarounds), so it's harder to re-arrange and re-use automations without a lot of copying/pasting and dragging individual automation points around. Also, one automation lane can only be linked to one parameter in one plugin. unlike FL for example, which can control multiple things from one automation clip.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pmTo me, automation is one of the weakest points in Studio One. You can't encapsulate automation into clips (unless you use MIDI automation only, and some clunky workarounds), so it's harder to re-arrange and re-use automations without a lot of copying/pasting and dragging individual automation points around.
Why won't you just enable the option for automation to follow MIDI events? :?
AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pmAlso, one automation lane can only be linked to one parameter in one plugin. unlike FL for example, which can control multiple things from one automation clip.
Why won't you use Macro Controls for that? :?
Music tech enthusiast

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm ...You can't encapsulate automation into clips (unless you use MIDI automation only, and some clunky workarounds), so it's harder to re-arrange and re-use automations without a lot of copying/pasting and dragging individual automation points around. Also, one automation lane can only be linked to one parameter in one plugin. unlike FL for example, which can control multiple things from one automation clip.
Perhaps you should stay fair here...

To my knowledge there are only 2 (perhaps 3) DAWs which are able to save and reload automation clips ... Reaper and FLS...
S1 gives you at least the possibility to put your automation directly into a clip (even on a different track) which you could i.e. save as a musicloop
Second the multi use of one automation clip for multiple targets is a unique feature of FLS...

According to your logic nearly every available DAW on this planet (Cubase, Logic, Ableton, Bitwig, Cakewalk, etc... etc... etc..) would have a weak automation because they don´t offer these 2 points...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”