Disappointment in hardware synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe but neither would have had a fraction of the flexibility of the CS1x. It was the firs synth I'd ever seen with that matrix-style editing and I took to it like a duck to water after more than a decade of deep menu diving in things like the M1, O1/W, Trinity and ASR-10.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

CS2x - I love that sound (maybe I'm too old for the new stuff - I just happen to love 1980s and 1990s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvUuSxUjkg

I also love stuff from the 80s and 90s but that doesn't make me want to live in the past.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:48 am I don't see how you can know how something you don't own will fit in with your set-up until you get it home and plug it in with everything else. The Minilogue was a bit like that - it sounded great in the shop but when I got it home and played it alongside my Ultranova, it didn't really cut the mustard.
Can't say I've ever encountered that problem. I find the 'sound' in store is no different than the sound @ home.

The thing is, in store you can only compare it to other synths in store. Minilogue sounded great on it's own and in comparison to a couple of other synths in the store. I thought it might be a good, tinier replacement for the Ultranova but, in the end, it just wasn't. But that realisation didn't come the day I bought it home, it took me a lot of time and effort to get to a point where I felt I was making a fair comparison. That's because how it sounds on its own isn't really what's important, it's how it fits into our songs and you can't get a good idea of that until you spend some serious time with it.

When it's software, I don't worry much about it because it's a lot less expensive and doesn't take up any space but with hardware I have to be a lot more ruthless so each instrument has to justify it's place in my set up. Ultimately, the Monologue was a better fit so I kept that longer but I was more than happy to have spent the time and money I did on Minilogue.

Anyone who thinks they can make the perfect decision about a synth just by trying it out in a shop is kidding themselves or, more likely, just deluding themselves about the shit they buy. Even something like the Waldorf Pulse 2 I had, which was/is a really good synth. In the end it came down to the fact that I just didn't like using it as much as I do some of my other hardware. A lot of that was down to it being a module, which meant hooking it up to a sequencer or controller just to get a sound out of it, where even the Rocket had a button I could press to preview a sound. MicroMonsta suffers from that, too, but it was cheap and I like having it around so I've kept it. But it probably gets around 10% as much use as Uno or Skulpt.

I bought a Mininova, some volcas, and a Minilogue XD
-_- Well...
Mininova just feels like a VST with offboard processing though the voicing is strange in how it works at times.
Volcas I thought would be soooo neat, they kind of are but the FM is a real big headache.
MinilogueXD I just fight with my PC to use the darn thing right but the drivers are kinda borked on windows. Kinda a let down though as I now mainly use it as a midi keyboard.
in fact I actually came on here looking for a thread like this. Thinking about selling my mininova and minilogueXD to a better home.
More or less just finding out my comfort zone in programming is in the box, not outside it.

now is Novation would have created a keyless ultranova desktop module I would probably have loved that.

Now if anyone is wondering why I was looking into hardware would be JayB's trance videos and Giuseppe Otaviani with all their hardware making some amazing tracks.

I had no problem determining i would find plenty of use for my Korg Kronos just by reading the user manual and then trying it out for a few hours at the house where i bought it.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I have to try to fit a synth into a mix to know whether or not it's going to work for me. Maybe it depends on how busy your music is. If it's generally just one synth line at a time maybe it's easier to tell before buying that it's definitely what you want.

I have owned a cz101, esq1 and microbrute. I wasn't impressed with any of them. I probably would love a korg triton but I'm not going to spend that kind of money. I'm happy with u-he etc.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”