Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:27 am Fathom 3.0 will include Fifth Order Lagrange Polynomial buffer interpolation,

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla

I have no idea what all that means but Congratilations!!!

and thank you (from all us dummies)

The Fifth Order Lagrange Interpolation will be available in Fathom 3.0
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Available 3.0-3.0-2020?

Fathom Vector or Fathom 3.0 is coming out in about a month.

It includes Intel AVX Parallel Processing for existing users.
Also includes the new fifth order Lagrange polynomial audio buffer interpolation.
And the new Metamorphic Oscillator for the new Fathom Vector product.

^^^
Everett,

I read some of the posts but still confused.
"Fathom Vector or Fathom 3.0"
Does Fathom Vector = Fathom 3.0 = Fathom Pro with AVX?
Is Fathom Pro sometime referred to as Fathom?
I now have Fathom Pro 2.30 so will the update to Fathom 3.0 be free?

When the Fathom Advanced/Extreme/Elite/Leviathan is released will it incorporate the Fathom 3.0 features and capabilities?

What is "License only"? What is it that is missing?

I have Fathom Pro 2.3 so perhaps the easiest way to look at this will be to see what will be my options and the cost of each.
FathomSynth wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm :arrow: Mac OSX CPU

Fathom is fully dynamic for number of units, so there is no way to avoid hitting the CPU limit. Other synths can avoid this internally by limiting the number of oscillators, filters and effects. In Fathom you have to turn down the number of detune voices and reduce ADSR release times if there are a lot of oscillators in the preset. I would strongly recommend reading the CPU portion of the manual since it says how to avoid this problem completely. Never the less, I'll take a very close look at Mac OSX for the next release since it sounds like there is a problem. I have a feeling the problem will be less when I move to internal sample block sizes in the next release. Variable block size in some hosts kills the CPU.

:arrow: VECTOR PRICING

After a couple weeks of discussion, the private forum has reached a unanimous consensus on details regarding the Fathom Vector release, so we can announce this now. A brief recap is included at the end.

Fathom Mono will stay as is except I will be adding back in the Wave Draw oscillator.

Fathom Vector will be the new advanced flagship product at $125.

Fathom Vector (Fathom Extreme) will include the new Intel AVX Parallel Processing and all the new features, including the new Metamorphic Oscillator (already complete) which is the most advanced oscillator ever created in a software synthesizer.

It will also include the 16 Channel Free Routing Digital Delay (also complete), and later in 2020 the Open GUI with User Skins, the Advanced Sampler and the independent Fathom FX VST.

Fathom Vector will only be available under the new license system, not under the unzip code.

Existing users who purchased Fathom before the AVX release will have the option to upgrade to the Fathom Vector License and apply all their purchases without any loss including their original purchase and all upgrades toward Vector.

Existing users will also have the option of staying at Fathom Pro + AVX with a special build which includes only Pro plus the AVX Parallel Processing minus the advanced 2020 features. It will, however, require a real license.

This will not be available to new users buying Fathom after the AVX release date, who will have to buy Vector to get it. The Pro + AVX offer exists only to respect existing users who have supported us for so long under the expectation that they might be getting AVX at some point.

There was a strong reaction here on KVR before when I included any details regarding business matters, so anyone who wants to know the full reason behind the $125 price point will have to email me directly.

Fathom Pro without AVX will become the new impulse buy entry product and the price will be lowered to somewhere around $35 on the web site. It will be $35 here on KVR up until the AVX release to give people a chance to jump in.

I’ll keep my original promise for now not to place the existing Fathom Pro under license, so it will continue under the unzip code. However, this could change in the future if there is an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the one button press license installer.

The new license system will be thoroughly tested in our beta group before release to absolutely ensure that it is easy, painless, and a one button press install.

Vector still requires a lot of testing so the release will probably be March 1.

Recap:

Fathom Mono: Same + Wave Draw.
Fathom Pro: No AVX, Lower Price.
Fathom Pro + AVX: Existing users only, License only.
Fathom Vector: $125 All features, License only.

Kalamate,

Sorry I mentioned 3.0. The next release will bump the version number from 2.34 to 3.0 for everything so 3.0 applies to the complete Fathom product line. Please disregard that if it is confusing, I probably should not have mentioned the version number.

“Fathom” applies to the whole product line. Currently there are two products “Fathom Mono” and “Fathom Pro”. But to answer your question, yes, generally when people refer to “Fathom” they are referring to “Fathom Pro”.

If you currently have Fathom Pro you will get Fathom Pro + AVX for free. AVX means that you will get Intel AVX Prallel Processing for free. However, Fathom Pro + AVX is an internal release for existing customers only. New users will have to buy the advanced product to get AVX.

Also, to get Fathom Pro + AVX you will have to move to the new license system. Because of piracy problems it is necessary to make sure AVX is license protected and unfortunately there is simply no way around that. The license system will be tested by our beta test team to make sure it is an easy one button press for everyone. It is only necessary to run it to generate the local license, never at runtime.

Fathom Pro without AVX will continue to just use the unzip code if that is what people want.

Sorry for the confusion about the name of the advanced product. The fact is I have not yet decided on a name for it. “Leviathan” would be an absolutely awesome name, especially since Computer Music Magazine gave Fathom the nickname “Leviathan”, but unfortunately there is already a synth by that name. So far I have been referring to it as “Fathom Vector” since it will include vector processing.

If anyone wants to post in suggestions for a name for Fathom Vector please post them here, just make sure they have never been used before.

Also, you are on 2.30, there are very important changes between 2.30 and the current 2.34, so I would recommend getting the latest update.

Also, I will be adding wave draw back into Fathom Mono.

Fathom Vector will include all features from Fathom Pro, plus Intel AVX, the new Metamorphic Oscillator and the new 16 Channel Free Routing Digital Delay, eventually the Sampler, GPU Video Card Spectral Processing and Fathom FX.

Also, just to be clear, any existing user who wants to migrate from Fathom Pro to Fathom Vector, all money they have ever spent on Fathom including the original purchase and all upgrades will count toward the price of Fathom Vector. For some of you who always buy the upgrades it would turn out being free or close to it. The Fathom Vector free pre-installer will tell you how much this amount is.

The post you re-posted above explains everything and everything looks correct.

So again, here is the official recap:

Fathom Mono: Free, Same + Wave Draw.
Fathom Pro: $35, Lower Price No AVX.
Fathom Pro AVX: Free, Existing users only, License only.
Fathom Vector: $125 All features, License only.

^^^
Thanks for the detailed reply.
It was very helpful.
Looking forward to anything new that you release!

Folks, just a quick question.

A number of people have requested an easy way to add and delete segments in any of the graphs.
Hitting the delete key would be an obvious choice for deleting the current segment.

But I need to come up with a simple keystroke or mouse action to insert a segment.

My own opinion is that keys are not really that quick since you actually have to reach for the keyboard.
Something involving the mouse and the points already in the segment is idea since you are already there.

For instance I already have it so double clicking the first point in the segment deletes the segment,
which is very easy and fast.

Any ideas?

One option would be to have little plus and minus icons fad in directly at the top or bottom of the segment
if you mouse over them which could quickly be hit to either insert or delete a segment at that point.
Either the top or the bottom of the segment would be chosen so as not to interfere with the current
line path of the segment's own function.

It would also be quickly discovered by users which is a bonus, rather than something obscure which they
would never know without reading the manual.

Your input welcome, any of you who do a lot of modulation with Fathom and use the envelopes a lot.

I like the double click option but direct quick help would be nice. F1 over a button or a question mark button in each chapter. The + and - can be added to I think?

FathomSynth wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:38 pm ...
Sorry for the confusion about the name of the advanced product. The fact is I have not yet decided on a name for it. “Leviathan” would be an absolutely awesome name, especially since Computer Music Magazine gave Fathom the nickname “Leviathan”, but unfortunately there is already a synth by that name. So far I have been referring to it as “Fathom Vector” since it will include vector processing.

If anyone wants to post in suggestions for a name for Fathom Vector please post them here, just make sure they have never been used before.
Must say I like the name Fathom Vector, it's very cool. However, if you want to keep to the nautical naming theme, I'm thinking of the equivalent to a very deep synth. And what can be deeper than the Mariana Trench? And while I'm at it, maybe it could challenge you to make new never-heard-of sounds?

So: Fathom Mariana or Fathom Challenger

From Wikipedia: "The Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench is the deepest known point in Earth's oceans."

...but again, I must say Fathom Vector has a nice ring to it. :wink:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Personally I think Fathom Vector works really well as a name for the new product - it's easily remembered (and spelt !) and fits

Wow things have changed since I last read this thread where the developer threw in the towel due to once instance of piracy.
It is good a developer managed to overcome their fear of piracy :D

Kian Russell wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:17 pm Wow things have changed since I last read this thread where the developer threw in the towel due to onE instance of piracy.
It is good a developer managed to overcome their fear of piracy :D

Unfortunately the "+" button is a shift key, not good.
Insert and Delete would be single key presses.
However, I really want something easy right in the graph itself.
I use a game pad for my host workstation so even the keyboard for me is not really a short cut at all.

I sort of like the idea of insert delete segments right on the button bar because it would be right below the graph and I don't see that you could get any easier than that.

Computer Music refers to Fathom as "Leviathan" which is sort of a cool name.

I thought it was taken but it really is not, it was just a small project on github, not a real VST.

I was wondering why this thread has been so quiet this year, goodness I hope most KVR members don't think that. That piracy fiasco is ancient history, we are very far from ever giving up. As a matter of fact the next release will be the biggest ever with Intel AVX, a rewrite of the entire oscillator processor code for speed, not to mention an entirely new product line with the Metamorphic oscillator.

Hmmm, maybe it's time for a real KVR banner add.

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:38 pm Unfortunately the "+" button is a shift key, not good.
Insert and Delete would be single key presses.
However, I really want something easy right in the graph itself.
I use a game pad for my host workstation so even the keyboard for me is not really a short cut at all.

I sort of like the idea of insert delete segments right on the button bar because it would be right below the graph and I don't see that you could get any easier than that.
Buzz does it quite nicely - between each module is a node (like the pink triangle below showing the signal direction) and if you right click on it it gives you options for gain and pan into the next module (top two circles), and underneath a '+' to insert a machine between the modules, and the scissors to delete the connection:

Will Fanthom 3 be MPE compatible? (The high res events introduced with MIDI 2.0 will also be interesting at some point. No hurry there though, most DAWs don't support this yet. But MPE would be great, indeed! A viable cornerstone on the way to Midi 2 that we could use here and now!)

Return to “Instruments”