Reaper and Bitwig.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not suggesting that you listen to the whole 12 minutes ;)

You can try to post your work in the music cafe sub forum. You will get more feedback hopefully :)

EnGee wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:36 pm You can try to post your work in the music cafe sub forum. You will get more feedback hopefully :)
Yeah I put some the other day. I was recommended to only put not more than 4 songs at a time, and not too often.

Thanks.

Really? Is there such restrictions? Well, I haven't used it yet! But I did participated two times in OSC, which was good experience and great feedback there. Also there are great talents there. But I don't like to be restricted a lot especially when it comes to drums.
BTW, you can buy Bitwig in the sell & buy forum for about $200. I actually bought version 1 at much less then upgraded later :)

I also have Reaper (5.99) but I use it as a test DAW because I don't like midi editing in it.

You can also buy Cubase Elements. It's really great if you don't mind tracks number restriction and missing side chains and some midi tools.

No it isn't a restriction, but I asked about this playlist (33 songs) and a person who replied suggested that if I want feedback that I only do it 3 or 4 songs per time.

Thanks for the tip about sell & buy forum, though I don't think i'll be buying it for next 6 months.

I'll check out Cubase Elements.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:26 pm To antic604:

I wondered if you'd enjoy this song. It isn't psy-trance but it is quite trippy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/kindred

I put it 5 month ago, but nobody listened to it. I'm quite prolific BTW.
It's a bit too happy to be psychedelic / trippy, for my taste at least. Also it's basically a single 2 bar loop with elements going in & out over 12 minutes and some minimal modulation or automation. I'll listen to the others, too.

EDIT: Some of them are really good! Well done :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:16 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:26 pm To antic604:

I wondered if you'd enjoy this song. It isn't psy-trance but it is quite trippy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/kindred

I put it 5 month ago, but nobody listened to it. I'm quite prolific BTW.
It's a bit too happy to be psychedelic / trippy, for my taste at least. Also it's basically a single 2 bar loop with elements going in & out over 12 minutes and some minimal modulation or automation.
Yes!
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:16 pm
I'll listen to the others, too.

EDIT: Some of them are really good! Well done :)
Glad you like it. :D

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 am
I am always interested...

Thanks for clarifying.
No problem.
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 am Your questions all had been in the ballpark of a newbee - my bad, I apologize...
I accept.
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 am If you want to learn sound design I think Bitwig would be a perfect tool just for that. The Grid is the most intuitive modular synth I know of. You can make all kinds of experiments, look at resulting waveforms to really get a deeper understanding of any kind of synthesis.
The other playground to learn that is the free VCV rack. But Bitwig is the more clear way to get into that... You will find a lot of community patches which show how things could be done...
Thanks.

LMAO! I seriously think Spring Goose just wanted to chat...I would have guessed he wanted an arpeggiator at one point.

CRAFTMATIX wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:08 am LMAO! I seriously think Spring Goose just wanted to chat...I would have guessed he wanted an arpeggiator at one point.
Hello.

I treated myself to Obscorium.

"Obscurium animates you to explore new paths to creation of music & sound design. Like a modular system, it allows for most complex circuits, yet remains easily accessible.
It will change your process of making music, to a fun and playful state of flow and you’ll come up with patch after patch of cool melodic and chordal passages that intiate new tracks."

So far I've noticed its like (Reason) Matrix Pattern Sequencer, on steroids!

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:33 pm So far I've noticed its like (Reason) Matrix Pattern Sequencer, on steroids!
This isn't correct. I was wrong about this. It's ok for making an interesting loop but then you can't automate the loop - bah!

teilo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm Sorry, but I'm having the same problem as others. You may think you are explaining yourself adequately, but I assure you that you are not.
Spring Goose wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:32 pm I just want to hit the notes of the coarse "tune", using automation. Is that so unreasonable?
Yes, that is very unreasonable. Notes, that is, the thing that forms your "tune", are neither coarse nor fine. They are simply notes, and have nothing to do with automation.

Now if you are expecting to compose your tune by automating the pitch and gate controls of a modular synthesizer, then you should say so. That would be an unusual way to compose music since you are working against your toolset rather than with it, but it's possible, and almost any DAW can do it.

If you are talking about generative music, then, again, you are not going to primarily use automation for your "tune."
I just realised Josh Wink did it with his very famous song Higher State Of Consciousness. That was about 25 YEARS ago. He automated filter and also he automated the pitch of the oscillator. I realise because i just did something similar in my experiments.

I don’t know about Reason, but any DAW I tried so far does allow you to automate the coarse tuning parameter of a plugin if the plugin exposes the parameter to the host in the first place.
How comfortable it is also depends on the plugin. Some are even too lazy to inform the host about the clear name of its parameters. Others do, but don’t inform about the unit and range, so that the DAW can only default back to 0.00 to 1.00 floating point values, instead of for example dB or in your case semitones.
If the plugin is friendly, you can - in most DAWs - absolutely automate stuff like OSC coarse tuning in semitones and see the exact same readouts on your automation lane as on the plugin itself.

This works in both, Bitwig and Reaper (again, if the plugin supports it) and you don’t need to be a programmer/coder to use it.

Bitwig has lots of creative ways to play with pitch... automated and realtime

Editing MPE note data, one can automate the per note pitch tuning in the piano roll in semitone increments.
The Arpeggiator now responds to MPE so one can slide note pitches (on an MPE controller) while the arp is playing
There is the micro-pitch device which can create micro-tuning scales and also be automated
There is the Pitch-12 modulator where one can set up different modulations per note pitch
There is the Grid where one can modulate/automate Osc pitch however one wants.
Etc
Etc

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”