Reason 11.2 Out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does this update make it possible to control each instrument in the rack separably via MIDI channels?
I've only recently started using Reason Intro in Cubase, I haven't a clue how to get it set up. :party:

Cool. I’m hoping multiple midi inputs for the rack vst get implemented soon, so you can send midi to individual instruments like you could with rewire. At the moment midi will trigger everything in the rack, which prevents a lot of creative cv routing.

EDIT Yeah what was said above as I was writing this :)

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm Does this update make it possible to control each instrument in the rack separably via MIDI channels?
I've only recently started using Reason Intro in Cubase, I haven't a clue how to get it set up. :party:
Why? Reason's instruments aren't multi-timbral anyway, so I can't see how would that matter? And usually you keep only one instrument (or their combination for multi-layering) in Reason Rack VST anyway. It's not ReWire anymore.

Just load separate instances of Reason Rack VST plugins on separate tracks.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm
lotus2035 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm Does this update make it possible to control each instrument in the rack separably via MIDI channels?
Why? Reason's instruments aren't multi-timbral anyway, so I can't see how would that matter? And usually you keep only one instrument (or their combination for multi-layering) in Reason Rack VST anyway. It's not ReWire anymore.

I like Reason because i can wire things up in generative ways, like triggering instruments with other instruments. This isn’t really possible with he current rack because midi will trigger everything.

Also it’s nice to be able to control things like pitch shifters with a separate midi track.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:00 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:20 pm Not only that. If I'm not mistaken, with the MIDI Out you can now take Synchronous, Pulsar or any LFO and route it out from Reason Rack VST as a CC and use to modulate parameters in VSTs or native devices in host DAW that doesn't have that, e.g. Studio One or Cubase! :o
I'm assuming yes if you're mentioning it, but didn't find an answer briefly searching this AM (had to move on)... do both S1 and Cubase support one VSTi sending midi CC info to another? In the Reason video example the guy said Live didn't, so he used Logic instead. I was curious about S1 and Cubase myself. I haven't used that capability yet myself, but it opens up a lot of potential to try.
Good point. I just checked it with Studio One 4 and couldn't make it work. I'll try again later when I have more time :(
Music tech enthusiast

Super easy to route Midi in Cubase, just create a midi track and route it to a rack instrument. Same in reverse.

I have nothing but good things to say, Reason Rack + Cubase with this new update is all I needed.
Have you tried Vital?

Multi-timbral had nothing to do with my post.
I want the rack to function as a rack not as a container for single instruments, if single instruments were the focus why not just release all the contained plugins (including the combinator) as single VSTis, No need for rack at all.
But seeing as there is a Rack I would like it to function like the rack in Cubase.

Psuper wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 pm
Super easy to route Midi in Cubase, just create a midi track and route it to a rack instrument. Same in reverse.

I have nothing but good things to say, Reason Rack + Cubase with this new update is all I needed.
It is? Cool. Can you point me to some kind of tutorial? Right now I can only get one Cubase midi track to control all the instruments in a rack.

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 pm

I want the rack to function as a rack not as a container for single instruments, if single instruments were the focus why not just release all the contained plugins (including the combinator) as single VSTis, No need for rack at all.
But seeing as there is a Rack I would like it to function like the rack in Cubase.
I'm affraid you don't understand the difference. Cubase's rack holds instruments that are multi-timbral, i.e. they can at once play sounds with different patches, using midi from different midi channels. There are no such instruments in Reason's ecosystem, therefore it doesn't make sense to have input for multiple midi channels.
Music tech enthusiast

For those being interested in this:

In Reaper it works both... a VSTi after Reason receives midi notes as well as Midi CC!! :tu:

Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 pm For those being interested in this:

In Reaper it works both... a VSTi after Reason receives midi notes as well as Midi CC!! :tu:
Ah, really? I haven't been able to get MIDI CC out to work in Reaper so far, only Note/Gate data.

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
I'm affraid you don't understand the difference. Cubase's rack holds instruments that are multi-timbral, i.e. they can at once play sounds with different patches, using midi from different midi channels. There are no such instruments in Reason's ecosystem, therefore it doesn't make sense to have input for multiple midi channels.
Sorry, but the request is valid: using Reason as a single rack (in the same way as standalone) would save resources. You add one instance of Reason as VST3 to your song, add RE‘s and devices as needed and play everything isolated by different source tracks from your host with different MIDI channels.

Now it is a bullshit solution to use Reason Rack as a Container for each track. If you use 12 Reason devices on 12 tracks on your host, then it means 12 independent instances of Reason in your RAM. :nutter:

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm

It absolutely makes sense, a key feature that has set Reason apart since the beginning is CV modulation between devices. You can’t do that between VST instances.

Crumbfort wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:20 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 pm For those being interested in this:

Ah, really? I haven't been able to get MIDI CC out to work in Reaper so far, only Note/Gate data.
Perhaps you have to change the midi cc number...
By default it is set to CC 0 ... with this setting it didn´t worked for me neither

I set it like in the image made a midi learn in Serum and it worked immediately:
Midi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crossinger wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 pm

Now it is a bullshit solution to use Reason Rack as a Container for each track. If you use 12 Reason devices on 12 tracks on your host, then it means 12 independent instances of Reason in your RAM. :nutter:
So, you´re writing tracks with only 1 Vst instrument? :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”