Olympus LS-P4 anyone using one of these?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using the earlier LS-10 model for 6+ years now. Very solid and reliable.

Richard deHove wrote:I've been using the earlier LS-10 model for 6+ years now. Very solid and reliable.
Thanks for the input I think I'll be ordering tomorrow :tu:

lfm wrote:I think manual mode is having less handling noise, since automatic might increase sensitivity when levels go down to always have certain recording level.
If you get the chance to confirm that theory, let us know :tu:
lfm wrote:Mine came with an adapter to fit a mic stand, and guess if you attach LP-Px unit with something for portable use that does not make unit touch surroundings - handling noise will be less too. Like a GoPro camera holder on head/shoulder and similar.
I think the P4 is also able to fit to tripod, and I imagine using a mini tripod in most cases where I am setting up a recording session to provide better isolation, eliminating handling noise etc. However, part of the attraction of getting such a tiny light unit, fro me, was to be able to just whip it out of a pocket and capture unplanned or random stuff. Having to drag along a mini-tripod, which I guess is double the weight of the recorder itself, negates those dimension advantages :shrug:

rob_lee wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:I've been using the earlier LS-10 model for 6+ years now. Very solid and reliable.
Thanks for the input I think I'll be ordering tomorrow :tu:
Let us know how you get on with it. And if you ever get the inclination to test out the field recording aspects using internal mic's, it would be great to get an extra opinion on the handling noise, and general sound quality.

Have fun :tu:

I bought it.

This (Olympus LS-P4) is the best portable recorder I have had until now. Clear and intuitive UI unlike many competitors and extremely portable. And support for FLAC which the only issue free lossless file format. Price is very competitive as well.

Sound quality feels good enough for me, even for line level signals if you have good quality attenuator bringing the signal level down. I made A/B comparison with Zoom H1 and Tascam DR-05X and in my ears this has best sound quality of those.

There is couple of things though that would make it even better.

- transferring files from recorder to PC via USB connection is very slow (around 3-5MB/s). For most use cases it is not a big problem but we are sometimes recording all performances of a long event which would mean a 8 hour recording in 24bit lossless quality. File size is about 4-6GB (even longer for those that want to record a festival) which will be very slow to transfer. So I need to remove microSD card and read with PC reader (as modern microSD cards support read speeds of like 100-150MB/s or even more). In next edition there should be support for USB3 5Gbps or even 10Gbps transfer speeds. I suspect that even other recorder might have this same issue.

- is does not support exFAT file format and over 32GB microSD cards. This could be an issue if you have one 64 or 128GB microSD card which you would want to use with multiple devices. I suspect that even other recorder might have this same issue.

- max file size seems to be 2GB which will once again create unneccessary copy-paste work in post processing. I suspect that even other recorder might have this same issue.

- there is no native ASIO driver for Windows when using it as audio interface. ASIO4ALL works but it has its limitations.

- I would rather have a female USB type-C connector than male USB-A connector. Male USB-A makes it a bit more inconvenient when you need to use it from AC adapter power.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”