No votes
4 12-16
No votes
5 No difference
100%

Total votes: 1

RELATED
PRODUCTS

jonljacobi wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:21 pm What you observe is largely correct. Some processing will be more accurate at higher sample rates if the plugin is not already oversampling (using a higher sample rate) internally. This is because of reduced latency in the stream.

You won’t notice the difference in bit depth upon recording or maybe at all, but the larger numbers and therefore greater accuracy reduce quantization errors which can add up to digital noise.
Why would reduced latency mean better accuracy? Processing that adds harmonic content (saturators, distortions) sound "better" (different) because of the leaner anti-aliasing filter necessary at higher sampling rates.

Greater accuracy is misleading term. larger numbers don't reduce quantisation errors, they push the quantisation error below thermal limits of any analog gear. Everything you hear is produced with exact same accuracy.

So you're right for the wrong reasons here.

So basically, plugins that don't have support/control for oversampling can produce a better sound quality only if they're running in a higher project sample rate? I have a lot of Waves stuff, I think most of them don't support oversampling. I checked their older plugins, and there is a huge difference between 44.1Khz and 96Khz. Also, not all Ableton's built-in plugins have control over oversampling. This means I have to work at higher sample rate to get the best quality from these.

Can't take the test.
404.jpg
Upload to soundcloud and enable downloads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:borg:

roman.i wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:46 pm So basically, plugins that don't have support/control for oversampling can produce a better sound quality only if they're running in a higher project sample rate? I have a lot of Waves stuff, I think most of them don't support oversampling. I checked their older plugins, and there is a huge difference between 44.1Khz and 96Khz. Also, not all Ableton's built-in plugins have control over oversampling. This means I have to work at higher sample rate to get the best quality from these.
Technically yes, especially distortions and stuff like that, that produces audible and annoying aliasing when pushed hard.
Some oversample automatically, but i prefer those that allow you to switch it

V0RT3X wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pm Can't take the test.
Try the second link, it works.

That was what i got for the second link. If i were you, I would just use soundcloud like everyone else.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:54 am That was what i got for the second link. If i were you, I would just use soundcloud like everyone else.
soundcloud has a pretty aggressive compression algorithm - comparing sample rate nuances on it is a bit of a moot point :)

Yeah, but V0RT3X also said 'and enable downloads'. :wink: Those are unaffected.

Ploki wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:12 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:21 pm What you observe is largely correct. Some processing will be more accurate at higher sample rates if the plugin is not already oversampling (using a higher sample rate) internally. This is because of reduced latency in the stream.

You won’t notice the difference in bit depth upon recording or maybe at all, but the larger numbers and therefore greater accuracy reduce quantization errors which can add up to digital noise.
Why would reduced latency mean better accuracy? Processing that adds harmonic content (saturators, distortions) sound "better" (different) because of the leaner anti-aliasing filter necessary at higher sampling rates.

Greater accuracy is misleading term. larger numbers don't reduce quantisation errors, they push the quantisation error below thermal limits of any analog gear. Everything you hear is produced with exact same accuracy.

So you're right for the wrong reasons here.

Not my finest work...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”