Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

Wha-a-waste-o-money. There's sounds are totally dated!

Kinh wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:02 am Wha-a-waste-o-money. There's sounds are totally dated!
Says the guy with classical music on his soundcloud page

:hihi:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

lancaster6 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:46 am as a loooong time triton user, i have not seen a way to limit rey range within a program. it is just as easy to use a combi and set your key ranges there. GL
That's too bad, but thanks for letting me know.

Still, there are some presets that use the baritone sax sample in one of the oscillators (the "lower" one), but you can't hear it, even if you lower the volume of the other sample in the oscillator. I've seen that on a "voice" Program and on another one that obviously didn't have a baritone sax playing with each keypress. That could be done with amp keyranges or something else I haven't discovered yet. It's just..."interesting" how they've done this.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Setting up key ranges is really done in Combi mode, not in Program mode. However you can use keytracking of VDA to do sorta splits between osc 1 and 2 even within a single program. I say "sorta splits" because with minimum keytrack ramp value you don't get straight silence on the very next key from the specified keytrack point, it takes a few keys to taper out. So for example this is how you set the fastest crossfade from osc 1 into osc 2 around middle C:

Osc 1 Amp
Key Low: C4
Key High: C4
Ramp Low: 0
Ramp High: -99

Osc 2 Amp
Key Low: C5
Key High: C5
Ramp Low: -99
Ramp High: 0

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 pm Setting up key ranges is really done in Combi mode, not in Program mode. However you can use keytracking of VDA to do sorta splits between osc 1 and 2 even within a single program. I say "sorta splits" because with minimum keytrack ramp value you don't get straight silence on the very next key from the specified keytrack point, it takes a few keys to taper out. So for example this is how you set the fastest crossfade from osc 1 into osc 2 around middle C:

Osc 1 Amp
Key Low: C4
Key High: C4
Ramp Low: 0
Ramp High: -99

Osc 2 Amp
Key Low: C5
Key High: C5
Ramp Low: -99
Ramp High: 0
Thanks for the explanation. I'll see if that's what they did on some of the more..."interesting" presets.

But is it just me, or are the saxes in "Sax Ensemble" (INIT-A 013) simply playing well beyond their normal ranges? (And why have two alto saxes and no baritone sax?) Granted, this probably should have been made as a Combi instead of a Program, but Korg made it a Program. And unfortunately, since I needed saxes for a project I'm working on, I decided to dissect this preset to try to learn more about the TRITON's HISS and to see how (in theory) you're supposed to make Programs in the TRITON.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

When doing sound design of nontraditional hybrids, having "traditional" instruments playing out of range can be quite useful.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:04 pm When doing sound design of nontraditional hybrids, having "traditional" instruments playing out of range can be quite useful.
True. But this is a standard sax patch, and I doubt Korg intended it as "sound design". :wink: I often try sounds outside their "traditional" ranges. But this just seems like a mistake on Korg's part.

Steve

Only to those that use it only for its samples.
It seems to me Korg got it right, since as others have pointed out, you can easily set up a combo. (The same way I would create a hybrid layer.)
In program mode, simply play the range of notes you feel suit you.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:09 am Only to those that use it only for its samples.
It seems to me Korg got it right, since as others have pointed out, you can easily set up a combo. (The same way I would create a hybrid layer.)
In program mode, simply play the range of notes you feel suit you.
That's just it--you can't just "play the range of notes you feel suit you". All of the saxes play when you hit any key. And when you get to the lower octaves where there should be a baritone sax, you still have two altos, a tenor and a soprano playing--and no baritone sax. I don't see how Korg "got it right" on this preset. Many of the others range from pretty good to very good. But this one is just odd, and I'm simply trying to find out (preferably from those who know the Triton Program architecture) whether it's intended or simply a mistake that Korg let slip. (And of course, even if that's the case, it's no big deal. I'm just a bit surprised.)

Steve

I didn't realize you were complaining about one single preset. So nevermind.

:lol:

BBFG# wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:23 am I didn't realize you were complaining about one single preset. So nevermind.

:lol:
I'm not "complaining", and there's no need to be argumentative. I was simply asking about programming the Triton. If you have nothing to add--and you clearly don't--then you're free to skip the questions or comments that don't pertain to you or interest you.

Steve

I said I'm done.
You're the one continuing on...

BBFG# wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:17 am I said I'm done.
You're the one continuing on...
You didn't say you were "done". Actually, you kept commenting when you had nothing to add.

Steve

On romplers all soundsources always stretch out the full keyboard. So yeah if you want to have a sax ensemble sort of thing, you'd use individual sax patches in combo mode and set the key ranges as you see fit.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 am On romplers all soundsources always stretch out the full keyboard. So yeah if you want to have a sax ensemble sort of thing, you'd use individual sax patches in combo mode and set the key ranges as you see fit.
Thanks, @EvilDragon. And while I know ROMplers can stretch samples across the entire keyboard, my decades-old D-10, U-220 and K2000 (among others that cost a fraction of what the TRITON cost) all offer key ranges. As we know, Roland, Kurzweil, Yamaha (and others, but apparently not Korg :wink: ) did this so that you don't play an alto sax (or anything else) well outside of its normal range--unless you actually want to, of course.

I was really only asking 1) if there was a way to set key ranges in the Program (which there isn't); and 2) if anyone knew why Korg would have done this with that preset, since it doesn't sound good. As I mentioned, I was just trying to delve into Triton programming, and that was the first preset I pulled up, because I needed saxes for a project.

I know this can be done in a Combi. Korg didn't do that, and I was just trying to find out why. I was just curious as to why Korg would let this go out like this. That's all. I appreciate your input, EvilDragon, but it's just not worth anyone's time any more.

Steve

Return to “Instruments”