Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheMaestro wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:06 am That there, is your ignorance.
You can make Reaper look like what ever you want. Skin it, color it, make the layout the way you want.
The white instruments browser and effects panel in Reaper still looks and functions like it's still living in the days of Windows 98...what am I ignoring ?

Here's just one example screenshot and layout of browser settings in Studio One 4.6... Download the demo..if you haven't already, and explore what it can do if you don't know.

Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I initially used REAPER because I was broke and it was affordable. I learned it inside and out and realized it was a huge waste of time.

Stock, it’s a kinda weirdly laid out basic DAW. With scripting and actions you can make it do almost anything, except you’ll be doing more scripting than making music.

So I happily paid the money for a DAW that already had a set of intuitive behavior that you could get to work with. I could also rely on it to not be broken in future versions like all my custom scripts would be. I demoed a bunch of them and all were better than REAPER in that respect. In the end I went with Studio One because it reminded me of Logic, worked on Mac and PC, and it was on sale.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:47 am Image
Gotta love those blue colors on blue, the cluttered word bubbles and the mini pictures :lol: I'm glad the Reaper dev doesn't spend time on doing something like this but actually improves the features and options inside the DAW.

Used Reaper for editing work but switched to ProTools because I enjoy mixing in there much more. Also some of my plugins just didn't behave as they should inside Reaper (non updating editors, non working edit fields, resizing issues, ...). The support of those told me Reaper does something unusual. Don't know how it is now.

Soundplex wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 am Gotta love those blue colors on blue, the cluttered word bubbles and the mini pictures :lol: I'm glad the Reaper dev doesn't spend time on doing something like this but actually improves the features and options inside the DAW.

Used Reaper for editing work but switched to ProTools because I enjoy mixing in there much more. Also some of my plugins just didn't behave as they should inside Reaper (non updating editors, non working edit fields, resizing issues, ...). The support of those told me Reaper does something unusual. Don't know how it is now.
(See previous my edited post you quoted)
If you love white backgrounds (or any particular shade of the spectrum) you can have that as a background to match, blue on blue is optional, and you're not just limited to gallery mode either, you can have vertical stacked images and text as before and entirely text stack based as well, all at a click of a button.

The advantages of images are that you don't need to be precise in your selection with the mouse, images are faster to recognise from colour and form and it's super fast to select and drag them out.
Studio One goes deeper with filtering plugins from view in the browser, not just in searching but also in removing them from view and besides setting up favourites, and setting up custom folder search paths for your content as well in the browser. Currently it's not possible to detach the browser in Studio One, but I've never found that to be a problem as other areas provide access to the plugins from dropdowns. Other than that, it's a faster, clearer and visually more attractive browser that's easy to use. Stineberg even went to the effort to try and copy it...

Oh, and I should add that, the larger you scale your plugins that you capture, the larger they are in the browser, there are practical limits to that however.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Grouped images that are similar, such as many of those, are not faster to recognize than words. In fact, recognition is considerably slower. Studio One in general has problems with delineation of elements. Almost as if the designers weren’t aware of the concept.

deleted for personal reasons, :)

The first thing I do in Studio One´s browser is turning these thumbnail thing of...

The really only DAW which did it right (and was the first I think) is FL Studio... not in the browser as it takes to many space and makes it too scroll intense but with their plugin picker which pops up on the complete screen letting you search and drag a plugin very easy in a visually manner...

Every other DAW trying to mimic this behaviour has badly failed... in a normal browser nothing has a better general overview than a user defineable list with a decent search function...
Winner in regards of the browser for me is Bitwig ...nothing is faster to use

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:47 am
TheMaestro wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:06 am That there, is your ignorance.
You can make Reaper look like what ever you want. Skin it, color it, make the layout the way you want.
The white instruments browser and effects panel in Reaper still looks and functions like it's still living in the days of Windows 98...what am I ignoring ?

Here's just one example screenshot and layout of browser settings in Studio One 4.6... Download the demo..if you haven't already, and explore what it can do if you don't know.

The instrument browser? Is that your gripe? :lol:
I have all my favorite and go-to VSTs as buttons in a dedicated toolbar, and a shortcut to just start typing the name of all other VSTs when I need them.
I don’t want or need large squares with thumbnails.

And “ignorance” doesn’t mean I think you’ve ignored anything. Other than an education.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

TheMaestro wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:18 pm :lol:
I have all my favorite and go-to VSTs as buttons in a dedicated toolbar, and a shortcut to just start typing the name of all other VSTs when I need them.
And this is precisely why I left REAPER. Every time I brought up refining a feature (like the instrument browser) on the feature request forum the answer was, “You can script this yourself and make a custom skin for the right look,” to which my response was, “Why would I make my own DAW when I bought a license for yours?”

Trancit wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:04 amThe really only DAW which did it right (and was the first I think) is FL Studio... not in the browser as it takes to many space and makes it too scroll intense but with their plugin picker which pops up on the complete screen letting you search and drag a plugin very easy in a visually manner...
Every other DAW trying to mimic this behaviour has badly failed... in a normal browser nothing has a better general overview than a user defineable list with a decent search function...
Winner in regards of the browser for me is Bitwig ...nothing is faster to use
I hate browsers, all of them. Orion is the only host that ever got it right - right-click menus. They take up no space at all in your project and are available exactly where you need them, obviating the need to drag and drop anything from one place to another.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have other options, but for doing just some quick stuff, I still like Reaper.
For some things, it is just quick and to the point.

From https://betanews.com/2005/01/03/justin- ... er-winamp/:
"BN: Why the name 'Jesusonic?'

JF: Naming projects is often the hardest part. When I first started, it just came out. A moment of either stupidity (likely) or brilliance (not likely), we'll see.

The name does have some interesting consequences. At the suggestions of friends, I made the hardware case into a cross shaped box, and named it the CrusFX 1000. We will also offer a non-cross shaped version, which will be more compact. Carrying the cross however makes for very interesting looks."
Thus the "JS" effects in Reaper are mocking someone being crucified. Christian or not, this is unacceptable.

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:04 amI hate browsers, all of them. Orion is the only host that ever got it right - right-click menus. They take up no space at all in your project and are available exactly where you need them, obviating the need to drag and drop anything from one place to another.
Does KvR pay you to stir shit up and make controversial, stupid claims sounding as if they're the objective truth so that the discussion keeps going?

Because obviously it works :D :clap:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

No, I just happen to think about what I do. You should try it some time. I spend so much time opening and dismissing browsers it's just not funny - Cubase, Reaktor, Kontakt - none of them can function without hanging a browser off one side or another. It's a PITA when Windows provides a much better and more consistent browser experience.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I agree with BONES here. Browsers (no matter what colour scheme, or how pretty the thumbnails are) can become very cumbersome after a while... (open-browse-select-close, open-browse-select-close) ... I would take a right-click cascade menu system over a browser window any day.

Cubase does allow right-clicking in the track control panel, and selecting 'Instrument Track' -- rather than having to open the browser, I can then simply navigate through my personalized menu of plugins. Have you tried that BONES? I only open the browser when I need to add a midi/audio clip to a track (the auditioning function of the browser is still great for that).

EDIT: To keep this post relevant to the thread topic, I should add that Reaper does pretty much the same thing. So yeah... I haven't really left Reaper, as it is still gets a lot of use from me (even with some legacy Win98 looking menus :hihi:).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”