EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

auron wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 am
entity330 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 am
auron wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 am

Was your Asio-Driver recognized correctly in your DAW? I still having trouble with my 1820m that there are no asio-driver available in Cubase (Patchmix and WDM Driver seems to be working btw.) or trying it with Cakewalk Bandlab is the same problem. Seems like after the Windows 10 update 1903 there is no chance to get those asio-driver back in Cubase (10.5) which is a real nightmare. I also checked that ctasio64 entry in regedit but without luck. One last thing could be, that the 1820m is still different to 1212m so it wont work. If you consider updating Window 10 in the future i think there can be updates that will destroy your drivers setup again , so in my case i may downgrade to Windows 7 ?!
Sorry I didn't check for responses. Yes, ASIO *was* working.

To anyone who might care, I'm pretty sure KB4532693 just borked the driver. I tried rolling back the update, but no luck yet. If you have automatic updates enabled, I suggest you shut them off. I'm really debating just buying a babyface and throwing this thing out again.
Yes that KB4532693 made a real mess in my system. Somehow the driver fix seems to work but i still have that 44.1 /48 khz switch problem, i think it never was a problem in windows 7. I worry about the future updates of windows 10, so Babyface is a real nice idea as well and it is a nice mobile soundcard !
Ok so I things working again.

Install the Windows update
Uninstalled Patchmix
Restart
Uninstall the driver
Restart
Install the EMU driver
Restart
Copy the XFi Titanium Driver files
Restart
Install Patchmix
Restart

Regarding 44.1/48 khz, I opened an old Sonar project using 44.1kz and set the Patchmix to use 44.1 and the internal clock, plays back with no issues.

At this point, I'm keeping an eye out on RME deals. If they release a UCX FS, I might just pull the trigger. Is it worth an extra $1500 bucks for drivers? I'm not sure, but this card has been a nightmare since I switched to Windows 7 from Windows XP. Creative, if you are watching this thread, you are going to have to really impress me to ever purchase one of your products in the future.

entity330 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:26 am
auron wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:50 am
entity330 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 am
auron wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 am

Was your Asio-Driver recognized correctly in your DAW? I still having trouble with my 1820m that there are no asio-driver available in Cubase (Patchmix and WDM Driver seems to be working btw.) or trying it with Cakewalk Bandlab is the same problem. Seems like after the Windows 10 update 1903 there is no chance to get those asio-driver back in Cubase (10.5) which is a real nightmare. I also checked that ctasio64 entry in regedit but without luck. One last thing could be, that the 1820m is still different to 1212m so it wont work. If you consider updating Window 10 in the future i think there can be updates that will destroy your drivers setup again , so in my case i may downgrade to Windows 7 ?!
Sorry I didn't check for responses. Yes, ASIO *was* working.

To anyone who might care, I'm pretty sure KB4532693 just borked the driver. I tried rolling back the update, but no luck yet. If you have automatic updates enabled, I suggest you shut them off. I'm really debating just buying a babyface and throwing this thing out again.
Yes that KB4532693 made a real mess in my system. Somehow the driver fix seems to work but i still have that 44.1 /48 khz switch problem, i think it never was a problem in windows 7. I worry about the future updates of windows 10, so Babyface is a real nice idea as well and it is a nice mobile soundcard !

Regarding 44.1/48 khz, I opened an old Sonar project using 44.1kz and set the Patchmix to use 44.1 and the internal clock, plays back with no issues.

Yikes! As long i use the asio drivers in 44.1 khz everything is ok (f.e. Bandlab) . But i can't switch in windows desktop to 44.1 khz using wdm drivers, then i get a "patchmix error". The wdm drivers are running at 48 khz all the time, doesn't bother me . I can even go up to 96 khz or 192 khz, no problem with asio so it seems and i dont need anything at 44.1 or 96 khz on windows , wavelab is using the asio driver as well. Hopefully that "beeep and freezing-thing" with patchmix wont happen too often. My yamaha ag soundcard has sometimes also a weird behavior, so i think everything is fine considering the EMU1820m is now 15 years working, hmm another 10 years and it is a silver wedding :lol: :party:

Unread post Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 pm

Pacmaxer wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:51 pm
Hello there!!!:)
How's it going?

- Well on my side not so good.

I have still problems to get through the "no hardware/driver popup" from the patchmix.
Everything went great. Powershell worked, but i think there is a problem with the drivers.
I'm using win10 1909, with the E-MU 1616m and the combined soundcard (PCI).

There was a solution on page 13? I think from someone called "Body***". Doesn't work eather. :(

I really hope someone of you guys could help me, i bought this thing on Ebay (heard and read it is/was a really good Audio Interface) with the hope to get it run with the help of this thread, but till now it doesn't work.

I really think it's an driver issue but i don't know what to do.
Like I said Patchmix doesn't start properlie...

Please Help..

(Maybe it's cause the PCI and i need the PCIe version) - That's what I think...

It *was* a great interface until Creative dumped all of the E-mu staff (who supposedly went to UAD and developed the Apollo). It hasn't been maintained since Windows Vista and the support has been nonexistent for 15 years now. I suggest you return it and buy something new of it isn't too late.
Paxmaxer,

Did you try using the "XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019" driver files in place of the "XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018" driver files and editing the "FilesToReplace.csv" to replace the path references from the "XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018" folder to the "XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019" folder?

That is what got my Win 10 system 64 bit Emu ASIO drivers working again after the 1909 update.

The 32 bit ASIO drivers still don't show up in my 32 bit synths or Cubase but I can live with just the 64 bit drivers if I must.

Rawl

Rawl

Many thanks to ClubHouseKey and all other posters for the instructions! After upgrading to Win10Pro release1903, EM-U 1212 wouldn't function. I used XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019 drivers and modified the .csv file, changed the friendly name of the sound card on the .ps1 file, changing the SetExecution policy to Bypass, and ran the script. Worked flawlessly! Audio back in service... 8)
ART MILLER

While I am not the original author of this fix (thanks to ClubHouseKey), I have accumulated all the files needed plus have edited copies of the .csv and power shell files with the necessary edits.

If there is enough interest I can upload a single RAR file which would include both the _18 and the _19 versions of the X-Fi drivers, two .csv files, one for the _18 and one for the newer _19, the E-mu 2.30 beta driver file & the 2.20 APP file plus two versions of the power shell script - one with the shorter device name and the original.

Chime in if this is worth me uploading and posting a link and I will.

rawl747 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:48 pm Chime in if this is worth me uploading and posting a link and I will.
Definitely. Thank you.

I have installed windows 10 version 1909 and the blessed update KB4532693 too and luckily it works all the best. However, it is important to know that there are solutions to these problems.

rawl747 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:26 pm
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. Anyone know if I can take advantage of 2 EMU on the same pc? I have a 1616 running and these days I get an 1820. I wanted to know if you can take advantage of the preamp entries of both boards. I don't think I can use both 1212m at the same time, but maybe via ADAT can I take more advantage of the pre no?
Sorry but this is not possible. These interfaces use system interrupts and with 2 cards, they would be competing for the same set of interrupts.

As to using ADAT to take advantage of a second interface without it being installed in a PC, again, this will not work.

I suggest you consider obtaining a used PC with at least several PCI slots for the 1820 interface. Then you could use both of them and even connect them to each other with the ADAT cable you mentioned.

Rawl
I mean that with the 1820 installed on another PC and connecting it via ADAT, could I just use the 4 preamps there? I think I should sell the 1820 and buy a preamp that has adat and ready

rawl747 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:48 pm While I am not the original author of this fix (thanks to ClubHouseKey), I have accumulated all the files needed plus have edited copies of the .csv and power shell files with the necessary edits.

If there is enough interest I can upload a single RAR file which would include both the _18 and the _19 versions of the X-Fi drivers, two .csv files, one for the _18 and one for the newer _19, the E-mu 2.30 beta driver file & the 2.20 APP file plus two versions of the power shell script - one with the shorter device name and the original.

Chime in if this is worth me uploading and posting a link and I will.
I think that would be very helpful to many people

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:51 am

rawl747 wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. Anyone know if I can take advantage of 2 EMU on the same pc? I have a 1616 running and these days I get an 1820. I wanted to know if you can take advantage of the preamp entries of both boards. I don't think I can use both 1212m at the same time, but maybe via ADAT can I take more advantage of the pre no?

Sorry but this is not possible. These interfaces use system interrupts and with 2 cards, they would be competing for the same set of interrupts.

As to using ADAT to take advantage of a second interface without it being installed in a PC, again, this will not work.

I suggest you consider obtaining a used PC with at least several PCI slots for the 1820 interface. Then you could use both of them and even connect them to each other with the ADAT cable you mentioned.
Rawl

I mean that with the 1820 installed on another PC and connecting it via ADAT, could I just use the 4 preamps there? I think I should sell the 1820 and buy a preamp that has adat and ready
Yes, if you have two complete interfaces each installed in its own PC, you should be able to use the pre-amps in the second one and route them using the PatchMixDSP app to send out via ADAT to the other PC interface's ADAT input.

I bought some time ago a Behringer Model ADA8000 that would do something similar but without the second PC required. It has 8 inputs that route to its ADAT output and an ADAT input that routes to 8 audio outputs. There is a newer version of this unit available - Behringer ADA8200 Microphone Preamp - 8-channel Microphone Preamplifier and 24-bit 44.1/48kHz AD/DA Converter with ADAT Optical Out - $300 US at Sweetwater for example.

So, you might consider selling the 1820 and getting something like this.

As promised, updated driver files, powershell scripts and .csv files as promised have been uploaded to:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gxbi032 ... b/temp.rar

This RAR file which should include everything that you need to get your Emu interface running again post the Windows 10 1909 update.

Please read the README.txt file for complete instructions.

Both the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019 drivers are included. There are 2 .csv files - one each for each of the X-Fi driver versions.

Also there are the EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe and the EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe installation files.

And, I have updated the original powershell script file to include versions that will work with either the Device long name ("E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)") or short name ("E-MU E-DSP") and with either X-Fi driver version mentioned above. There are four scripts total.

A more detailed explanation is included in the README.txt file.

Finally, the files were all RAR'ed from the C:\temp folder so extraction should be to that folder by default already.

If you have any issues with any of these files please post here.

Thanks and KUDOS to ClubHouseKey which provided the original script file. I hope you all find my contributions worthy of his initial effort.

Cheers,
Rawl

Here to report another success story and give my heartfelt thanks for a real solution! Thought making this post might help more lost souls who are on the fence about their E-MU or trying the procedures suggested in this thread. I'm yet another person who registered to KVR specifically to make a post in this thread. That's how good it is.

System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1909 (as of this post)
E-MU 1820m
10 input / 8 output at 48k
Reaper DAW

Installed the latest big Windows update (1909), and lo and behold the dreaded "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware..." message. Googled it and found this thread.

Firstly, HUGE thank you to ClubHouseKey for presenting the original solution that has saved us all (or at least most). Thank you for your work and knowledge and sharing it freely with us. This stuff is mostly over my head, and without the selfless geeks of the internet like you, I wouldn't be able to produce music. Period.

Secondly, thank you to sherwoodsound for sharing a streamlined process. These are the instructions I ended up following with success. Made everything manageable for me, and for that I'm grateful.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=529349

Finally, thanks to rootsandculture and tobra for the idea to edit the script with the correct device name. (Script file is “EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1” included in sherwoodsound's download.) First time I ran the Powershell commands, it gave me an error that the name “E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)” wasn't recognized.

The name had to be changed in two places, at the top and bottom of the script. The default name in the script is “E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)”. My system had the device listed as “E-MU E-DSP” under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager. Changing the device name in the script to my system's name for it and going through the process from the beginning again yielded an error free result.

And much to my surprise, shock even, and delight, I am running my beloved E-MU on Windows 10 v1909, error free once again! :hyper: :phones: :clap:

Now I'm even wondering if that “ha10kx2k.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” blue screen I experience occasionally will go away too...? Hey, a guy can dream. Either way, I know the value of these incredible little units. I will echo the many that say it's such a shame the company dropped them. I'm so grateful to you all for helping us less knowledgeable folks keep these beauties running as long as possible. Here's to another 15 years!

Crosses fingers and holds breath every time there's a new update
Last edited by Easy_Does_It on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It brings me no joy to report that I may have spoken too soon.
- Within one day, several computer freezes.
- Then the return of "You don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware..." message.
- Then another freeze mid-installation when attempting the fix again.
- Now I'm getting "You have previously installed drivers without rebooting" message when attempting to install. Many reboots later, it seems that Windows is still hanging onto a portion of the drivers, without actually showing any device there in device manager.

So... I'll research fully uninstalling these things, and IF I can do that, I'll try once more to implement the fix. But at this point, I feel like I have little to no choice but to finally upgrade my beloved audio interface. Ugh! I was really hoping I could hang on longer, but I've come to realize my time is worth more, and I'm doing this to make music, not troubleshoot 10-15 year old unsupported technology. This is after years of cutting my teeth learning audio recording with this unit. It is with great reluctance that I coming to accept this inevitable change. I am going to sincerely miss this little powerful piece of gear for sure.

I felt obligated to share the ugly truth after my previous gushing post, to keep the knowledge flowing. But I will say that my gratitude to all the people working to help us out still stands strong! Thanks so much friends for your generous help anyway.

Edit: I was able to implement the fix again. The trick was to run the first driver install as administrator. I am now back up and running at the moment, but I am wary of the next freeze. I will come back to report my results after some time of running again. We'll see if this lasts!

After getting my E-MU/Windows system back after that update, I turned off automatic system updates (i.e. OS updates). I'm not recalling exactly how I did it, but if you Google around, you'll find instructions. I *think* it was a Group Policy change and perhaps one other.

Thank you mate, that's just made my day. EMU 0404 PCI Working using this fix using the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019 FilesToReplace edited to match the driver version.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”