What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Woaw, messy thread. Ive been reaching for phaseplant and MSF lately. I feel like modular synths are the future of vst instruments. Because of the nature of phaseplant and MSF many of my older synths have become obsolete.

For me it's Sugar Bytes Factory! Love that little grey monster. I also like Air Loom II but I suck at it. I just bought DS Thorn and it's pretty fun too.

SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 amI feel like modular synths are the future of vst instruments. Because of the nature of phaseplant and MSF many of my older synths have become obsolete.
Really? I find PhasePlant's filter holds it back. It is nowhere near as versatile as other synths in it's price range because of the limited range of filter options available. I find Pigments far more versatile and, therefore, more useful. That said, I love the sound of PhasePlant so I do use it quite a bit, I just can't see how it would make any of my older synths obsolete.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:50 pm
SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 amI feel like modular synths are the future of vst instruments. Because of the nature of phaseplant and MSF many of my older synths have become obsolete.
Really? I find PhasePlant's filter holds it back. It is nowhere near as versatile as other synths in it's price range because of the limited range of filter options available. I find Pigments far more versatile and, therefore, more useful. That said, I love the sound of PhasePlant so I do use it quite a bit, I just can't see how it would make any of my older synths obsolete.
The filters in phaseplant do indeed sound boring in comparison to other analog modeled filters. But I really like phaseplant because of it's workflow and how flexible it is, I can usually synthesize whatever that's in my head pretty quickly. The filter doesn't bother me that much. If I want a specific analog sound, I still have some u-he stuff.

It's not about how the filter sounds, it's about how limiting having to use the same filter all the time is. They recently added more slopes/poles but it still sounds basically the same. It's not a problem exclusive to PP, plenty of other synths suffer similarly, but it certainly holds it back compared to synths like Pigments and DUNE, which offer good variety in their filter algorithms.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

PP works perfectly for me. Do I wish it had as many filter types as serum? Sure. I can get around it, get the sounds I want, and in the end, that's all that matters to me. Especially In my circumstance where I'm writing with other people, I don't have time to fiddle around with a plethora of tools. The less tools I have, the better. YMMV

The original Massive seems to come up a lot, but mostly it has loads of presets and my searches in Kontrol will inevitably dig up something from there.

Outside that, I try to switch things up. Obviously if I have something new it gets use a bit, but then I like to drag up old stuff to use along side it, get my money’s worth. Depending what type of sound I’m needing that will dictate what I pull out. Layering the different types can help create some more unique sounds, especially if you tweak them a little.

I really try to avoid “favourites” though. Keep switching things up, keep it fresh, keep learning, keep evolving. That’s how you stay relevant. Well, it’s a big part of it anyway.

OnePingOnly :hihi:

For the last few months I've been using my Medusa & SUB37 more than anything else. Software-wise Phosphor 3 and Axon2 get some use too. I go through phases with my software gear. I get right into one synth or another for a while then get distracted by the new shiny one that just came along (or the synth I bought years ago and forgot about). It's not so easy to forget about your hardware synths when they're in the room with you ;)

IrionDaRonin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm OnePingOnly :hihi:
You resurrected this thread after 4 months just in order to say that? 8)

Yes "One Ping Only" stopped being funny over a decade ago. :roll:

Oh and Hi "Fluffy Little Something"...... :party:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

1. Dune3
2. Sylenth
3. Omnisphere

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:31 pm Yes "One Ping Only" stopped being funny over a decade ago. :roll:
its a revival. they happen sooner these days as time is shortening. as we near the end...

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:31 pm Yes "One Ping Only" stopped being funny over a decade ago. :roll:

Oh and Hi "Fluffy Little Something"...... :party:
Hi-Tek :clown:

Lately it's Lion. Last month was Factory. Both are really nice. Codex has a good sound too when I don't want to deal with complexity.

Return to “Instruments”