f. 'em - a new FM synth from Tracktion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7 F.'em FM8

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 am Good news. I've just abonded FM8 because of the tiny gui and the Sytrus workflow never fits my needs. And because of the lack of proper FM-Synths I'm really excited about this one. At least this could be a synth I will buy. My last synth purchase was Aalto what is quite a while back.
So, you don't like FM8 but you want something that looks just like it - or at least just like it if FM8 had a dark mode? Sounds legit.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Resistent is futile, we'll be assimilated :borg:

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am Read my post and you will find out that I love FM7/8 but on my screen and for my weak eyes its too tiny and not usable for me anymore. I would prefer not to buy a new synth and to keep on tweaking FM8 but yeah tell Native Instruments
Then buy a BIG 1920 x 1080 display. Ity will show everything bigger. Anyway, with 11 operators, I suspect you will not have bigger GUI elements in f. 'em

But we'll see. What I'd like them to do is REALLY improve MIDI editing in Tracktion 11. Despite all the talk in the videos, the piano roll remains basically untouched (it doesn't even scroll), and there is no event list. For someone who claims is paying "a lot of attention" to MIDI, this seems like a poor job.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

f. 'all about f. 'em in this thread

With 8 OPs, 2 sample OSCs and a noise, this could be a monster for sure!
If it does what FM8 and Blue II but more...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

^I don't need any more "monster" features, just a clear GUI and fast workflow. Blue II on paper looks amazing, but in reality it turned out too complicated to use...
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am
Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:39 am
resistent wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 am Good news. I've just abonded FM8 because of the tiny gui and the Sytrus workflow never fits my needs. And because of the lack of proper FM-Synths I'm really excited about this one. At least this could be a synth I will buy. My last synth purchase was Aalto what is quite a while back.
So, you don't like FM8 but you want something that looks just like it - or at least just like it if FM8 had a dark mode? Sounds legit.
Read my post and you will find out that I love FM7/8 but on my screen and for my weak eyes its too tiny and not usable for me anymore. I would prefer not to buy a new synth and to keep on tweaking FM8 but yeah tell Native Instruments
Oh FM8... I really hope NI don’t abandon it officially (I’m glad they keep all their current products at least run-able on current OS versions), but it looks like the writing is on the wall with Native Instruments now being slave to “investors”, making bad decisions based on short lived fads, being a store front for sample packs, and the “services” model...

I don’t understand why this happens to so many companies. Willingly let products rot, while trying to cash in on easy-to-implement ephemeral fads / trends... It took hard work to get where they are, but now hard work is somehow frowned upon. Did the actually capable employees leave, or are they just few and stuck on menial tasks for the fad projects?

Rebuilding the GUI of FM8, Absynth, etc., is the clearest way to get current owners to buy again.

As for this thread’s subject: hilarious synth product name. :lol:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:11 pm
Read my post and you will find out that I love FM7/8 but on my screen and for my weak eyes its too tiny and not usable for me anymore. I would prefer not to buy a new synth and to keep on tweaking FM8 but yeah tell Native Instruments
Oh FM8... I really hope NI don’t abandon it officially (I’m glad they keep all their current products at least run-able on current OS versions), but it looks like the writing is on the wall with Native Instruments now being slave to “investors”, making bad decisions based on short lived fads, being a store front for sample packs, and the “services” model...

I don’t understand why this happens to so many companies. Willingly let products rot, while trying to cash in on easy-to-implement ephemeral fads / trends... It took hard work to get where they are, but now hard work is somehow frowned upon. Did the actually capable employees leave, or are they just few and stuck on menial tasks for the fad projects?

Rebuilding the GUI of FM8, Absynth, etc., is the clearest way to get current owners to buy again.

Sadly true, N.I. make still good FX. That‘s it for me.
The best innovative tools coming from single (or very small team) developers. Bean counters never help with innovation :)
f‘em all.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm in hope of a FM-X coming at some point with a modular approach to FM.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 amI'm in hope of a FM-X coming at some point with a modular approach to FM.
How would that look like, compared to - say - FM8 or Sytrus?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:45 am
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 amI'm in hope of a FM-X coming at some point with a modular approach to FM.
How would that look like, compared to - say - FM8 or Sytrus?
I'm guessing that if NI do plan to update it, they will want to be consistent with the design approach used in Massive-X

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:11 pm Rebuilding the GUI of FM8, Absynth, etc., is the clearest way to get current owners to buy again.
Which means that they will have to rewrite it from scratch, because the UI is embedded in the rest of the code and it's impossible to change one without changing the other. And the code is late '90s - early '00ies, which means it's obsolete by now, let's not talk about in 5 or 10 years time. - Talking about FM8.

And Absynth is a one man affair and he moved on long ago, which means this will never happen.

perfumer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:11 pm Rebuilding the GUI of FM8, Absynth, etc., is the clearest way to get current owners to buy again.
Which means that they will have to rewrite it from scratch, because the UI is embedded in the rest of the code and it's impossible to change one without changing the other.
I don't think they needed to do that from FM-8 despite the gui being radically different from FM-7, neither did Arturia when they overhauled gui's. That being said I would prefer see a radically changed modular FM along the lines of Massive-X than just a few gui tweaks for modern screens.

Return to “Instruments”