How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:11 am

EPISODE 4

Hi folks! In the 4th episode of my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, I'm laying down some virtual piano and organ.

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/n_rpQ2zAJ1s

ALSO... don't forget that tomorrow is the first live show in the series, where you can ask me about the episodes so far :)

User avatar
The Noodlist
KVRAF
2097 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:41 am

How about a studio tour and a look at your acoustic treatment?
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 pm

The Noodlist wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:41 am
How about a studio tour and a look at your acoustic treatment?
Yeah, its something on the agenda. To be honest, since I moved I only have some very basic treatment, and its not something I'd recommend. But I'm in the process of planning a major upgrade there.

This is something that we home recording enthusiasts have to deal with. Less than ideal rooms, less than ideal budgets! Its all very interesting looking at gear and situations from Pros who have much bigger budgets than most can dream of. But its all too often an attitude which excludes those starting out from joining 'the club' - and I want people to experience the joy of recording their music right now!

That's why I like videos like the ones you recommended a couple of times in this post, from The Loft Tapes - that guy doesn't even use any acoustic treatment at all! I'm not sure I'd go that far (even shelves of books provide a bit of diffusion), but its great that he isn't scaring people away from actually taking part! And it also great that YOU recommend people with less than perfect spaces! When my channel was much smaller like his, it was support from people like yourself which helped me to grow :)

So, I do have plan to document a studio upgrade which deals with broadband absorbers, diffusers, and bass traps. Actually, I hesitate to use the term 'bass traps' - but thats another story! But the plan is to walk people through a DIY process where they can get much better results, with a budget they could find affordable.

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:14 am

EPISODE 5

Hi folks! In the 5th episode in my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, I'm recording the acoustic guitar parts!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/anbdhokFWn8

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
61788 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 am

creativesauce wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 pm
The Noodlist wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:41 am
How about a studio tour and a look at your acoustic treatment?
Yeah, its something on the agenda. To be honest, since I moved I only have some very basic treatment, and its not something I'd recommend. But I'm in the process of planning a major upgrade there.

This is something that we home recording enthusiasts have to deal with. Less than ideal rooms, less than ideal budgets! Its all very interesting looking at gear and situations from Pros who have much bigger budgets than most can dream of. But its all too often an attitude which excludes those starting out from joining 'the club' - and I want people to experience the joy of recording their music right now!

That's why I like videos like the ones you recommended a couple of times in this post, from The Loft Tapes - that guy doesn't even use any acoustic treatment at all! I'm not sure I'd go that far (even shelves of books provide a bit of diffusion), but its great that he isn't scaring people away from actually taking part! And it also great that YOU recommend people with less than perfect spaces! When my channel was much smaller like his, it was support from people like yourself which helped me to grow :)

So, I do have plan to document a studio upgrade which deals with broadband absorbers, diffusers, and bass traps. Actually, I hesitate to use the term 'bass traps' - but thats another story! But the plan is to walk people through a DIY process where they can get much better results, with a budget they could find affordable.
yeah i think perhaps room treatment is for more advanced viewers than this series, which is more an introduction to whats possible.

although, seeing you upgrade would be good, especially if youre not just "i spent 10k on this treatment..." which is going to make many people think "whats the point?".

home studios are rarely ideal spaces, a spare room if youre lucky, the end of your bedroom if not.
would be nice if it werent so, but we make do 8)

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 am

EPISODE 6

Hi folks! In the 6th episode in my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, I'm recording a Cajon!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/8eoYkpiWoq4

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:04 am

EPISODE 7

Hi folks! Its time to lay down some group vocals, and female vocal part in the 7th episode of my series about recordinga song from scratch. I had lots of fun with this one, I hope you can join me :)

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/iMUI-uBfRlU

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 am

I’m very happy to announce that I have now made available the multitracks for my series RECORD, MIX, RELEASE, so that you can practice your mixing skills with this song .

DOWNLOAD HERE: https://www.creativesauce.net/record-mi ... ltitracks/

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:10 am

EPISODE 8

Hi folks! Its time to record lead vocals in episode 8 of my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch. As well as recording I'm loooking comping, pitch correction, and a few harmonies :)

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/_SPRiIMD39Q

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:12 am

EPISODE 9

Hi folks! We are at episode 9 in my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, and the tracking is finally done. So in this episode we start the mixing process with some important preparation. Don't miss out!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/6RqurUur3K0

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 pm

EPISODE 10

Hi folks! We are now on episode 10 of my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, and I believe that one is about something that can make a big difference to the result - gain staging.

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/HxNTCpCQclw

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 am

EPISODE 11

Hi folks! We are now on episode 11 of my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, and this is a stage we have been working towards for a while - the static mix!

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/nnTm2ntdDSY

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:12 am

EPISODE 12

Hi folks! We are up to episode 12 of my 15 part series about recording and releasing a song from scratch. Now we finally dig into some of the details of processing core components.

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/JXdZZkN71Tw

User avatar
The Noodlist
KVRAF
2097 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm

I was surprised, you went over gain staging, then did a static mix. After the static mix, some of the faders were very low.
Do lower faders affect the audio resolution and the travel/volume amount? Might a gain plug-in used to bring the fader to unity be a valid option?
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

User avatar
creativesauce
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Feb, 2019

Re: How to Record a Song From Beginning to End! (Series preview)

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:21 am

The Noodlist wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm
I was surprised, you went over gain staging, then did a static mix. After the static mix, some of the faders were very low.
Do lower faders affect the audio resolution and the travel/volume amount? Might a gain plug-in used to bring the fader to unity be a valid option?
Good point! Yes, the reason is to get a 'base' gain, especially ready for going into plugins. Lets say for example I want to sent a healthy signal to a saturation plugin. I may not want to over or under do it, but get a sweet spot. Having done that, I may ultimately want have the part at a low volume in the mix.

You are correct however, that we lose resolution in the lower part of the fader, making it more difficult to do fine controls. I dont find this often comes up - but if it did then for sure you could use a gain plugin so that its not too fiddly. But you would want to have it at the end of the FX chain as the last plugin.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”