What was the moment when you decided to switch from hobbyst producer/musician to hobbyst DAW & Plugin hoarder??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't switched yet, so was wondering if those with expierience could share their stories, so i would know when its comming :)

The moment I subscribed to KVR...? But I am not a Hobbit...!

Hoarding plugins keeps me motivated to find creative uses for them and produce more. I browse KVR in search of inspiration: "What else could I try? What are the new sounds to create"?
Because I won't buy a plugin unless I see a practical use for it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I already had my revelation and I'm on my way back. I have deleted most of my "collected" plugins and now use mainly stock plugins from my DAW combined with a handpicked selection (~10) of freeware plugins, mostly dynamics and some EQ for special use cases. That's it. I realized that (besides having an impressive dropdown list in my DAW) I have never used 90% of these plugins.

When my prescribed dose of SSNRI reached about 450mg x 3 times per day, and I was being harassed at work by my sociopathic immediate supervisor...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I've always been the latter. :P

That was the first day of my eternal brokeness
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am certainly capable of multitasking.

Isnt a hobbyst one of them short guys from Lord of the Rings?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

debra1rlo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm Don't know about the rest of you, but I am certainly capable of multitasking.
LOL! As a member of Team XY, I find your insinuation offensive! :hihi:

As soon as I decided native DAW plugins aren't enough (they are, really) and discovered VST marketplaces like the one in here or on Facebook :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It was a moment as I have lost a reason to make music.
There was no way to go any more. Nothing to achieve with it.
I am still making music, but the drive and the power and the love behind it
is somehow darkend or cloudet with something that I can´t put my finger on
to name it.
I had the purpose to give people back theire life and dreams with my music.
There may have been more purposes involved, and all together they made me go
and create and feel greate.
Today it is like sitting and wating and watching a desert that did replace
my world full of life.

Its like having lost a dear friend and waiting that he comes back.
Thinking this over every day, but can´t find a way out.
So I hope in assembling good sounds or software, there will be a kick
somehow, that brings back this part of my life I seem to have lost.

Sorry for the sad story, but you asked for it.

@ classic: Sad tale indeed. One that probably many of us (who have been doing this for quite some time) can relate to some degree. As I progress further down the road of music creation, I oft feel that the magic of 'discovery' gets replaced with the boredom of 'mundane.'

The one thought I hold, that gets me through those times is this: No matter what I create (substantial or insignificant) yesterday it didn't exist, and today it does.

It's hardly revolutionary, but in the end, it gives me a bit of perspective regarding why I bother doing the whole 'creativity thing' in the first place.

I am sure there are lots of musicians ore artists of all kind with a story or a situation like this.

But that other DAW that I don't own looks so shiny!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”