Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Soundplex wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 am Gotta love those blue colors on blue, the cluttered word bubbles and the mini pictures :lol: I'm glad the Reaper dev doesn't spend time on doing something like this but actually improves the features and options inside the DAW.
You'd be surprised how much it benefits the overview... my default: Have the Studio One browser show the vendors, and have plugin preview pics. It doesn't get any better.

Cubase introduced this shortly after Studio One did, BTW. Their solution in the plugin browser is equally nice now.

The blue colours are THE INTRANCER's creation, BTW. That's not the default colour scheme.

lessera wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pmCubase does allow right-clicking in the track control panel, and selecting 'Instrument Track' -- rather than having to open the browser, I can then simply navigate through my personalized menu of plugins. Have you tried that BONES? I only open the browser when I need to add a midi/audio clip to a track (the auditioning function of the browser is still great for that).
No but I've pissed off all the thumbnails and changed the sort order, which makes the browser more usable. What Orion did was instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, Rich just added audio preview to the Windows browser. If the track was playing, you could even audition things in context, which was very handy.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The reason I left REAPER (and SONAR Platinum/Cakewalk) was simply because I tried out Studio One 3 when it was released 4 or so years ago, and never looked back. Said goodbye to the f*ugly, the inconsistent, the bad UX, the buggy, the flakey, the clunky, the crashy, the need for the gazillion workarounds . . . etc etc and hello to rock solid reliability, total intuitiveness, fast workflow, and an environment that was just a pleasure to be in.
Say NO to CLAP!

It's not so much that I "left" Reaper, as I still use it all the time. But I've given up using it for most things that I found it frustrating for, and instead of banging my head against the wall use other tools that work no muss or fuss. Otherwise, it gets loads of use here for what it excels at.

Midi work where the project isn't an EDM or otherwise looped and quantized project, as in non-quantized (and even not played to a click) tracks I just do elsewhere. IOW 95% of my time if in midi. The simplest midi editing is arduous in Reaper, and the fact that there are 4,000 user scripts to do normal and wild things that aren't otherwise natively available doesn't help that there are so many gaps when needing meat-and-potatoes and not esoteric functions. That Reaper is item based/reliant and not track based means that you...oh never mind :) Also, projects with many tracks that need easily create-able, editable and accessible groupings and takes. Yes, Reaper can do those but my life went back to normal when I stopped being frustrated with how, yes, it's a wonderful audio program for $60 and I remain a fan, but it really is NOT so configurable that it does everything any other DAW does and better. Sorry, no. And if you look up "Putting lipstick on a pig" in the dictionary of slang there's a picture of Reaper with 50 themes.

If you have a reasonably challenging project it really is the Linux of DAWs, which is great for some and a dealkiller for others.

Reaper Evangelist

DAW: Reaper

Ask almost any question related to music production online and you can be sure that, before too long, a helpful Reaper zealot will pop up and strongly suggest trying out their favourite DAW.

So why not give it a go? It’s free, after all, except not really, though in the inevitable event you don’t make any money from your musical endeavours, you can get a cheaper license.

What’s more it has a low resource footprint, can be run from a USB drive, it’s cross-platform with an (of course) experimental build available for Linux, it’s super-customisable, and developer Cockos is always putting out updates and listening to community feedback, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, it’s all very enticing, but the thing the Reaper Evangelist doesn’t realise is that not everyone wants or needs that much DAW power, especially not our final type of producer...

Source: Music Radar

"nobody leaves Reaper, some people just aren't good enough"

well I am sure I must have seen that expressed many a time anyway.

I have been using Reaper since around 0.45 and what keeps me using it is the audio editing. I have tried out quite a few other DAWs but none have been as good, which has been a shame. I dont look around for something else that much anymore.

So it seems that most people left reaper for the same reasons. Basically reaper sucks the big one, and sucks it hard and on many levels, suckage. I can't argue with that, in my own experience that is exactly what I found.

I guess reaper might appeal to those 1.71% of people that also think linux is worth their time :lol: , God bless their delude little hearts :dog: .
REAPER SUX . . . and don't you forget it!!!

I left Reaper for 1 Reason , Reason 10 . :clown:

I left FL Studio because Reaper handled Time signature changes and audio better. I'm considering leaving Reaper because Input Quantize is broken and the bug has existed for years. I'll probably stay since i can easily quantize after recording... It really irks me though.

Luckily I have four daws.. When I lose my nerve with one, I jump to another :hyper:

I should learn studio one, but every time I install it, I try to work with it couple of evenings, turn crazy and uninstall it while making growling noises.

The biggest problem of Reaper (and Cakewalk) in my opinion is , media browser . For this reason I use now most of the time Studio One and Ableton ...

johnwoo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:58 am The biggest problem of Reaper (and Cakewalk) in my opinion is , media browser . For this reason I use now most of the time Studio One and Ableton ...
What´s the problem with it??
I find it outstanding good...

Stormin Norman wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:46 amBasically reaper sucks the big one, and sucks it hard and on many levels, suckage.
Lol... With such a persuasive argument as that, how could anyone possibly remain unconvinced?

jzero wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:42 am I'm considering leaving Reaper because Input Quantize is broken and the bug has existed for years.
Care to elaborate? Just curious

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”