Which DAW(s) you own, don't use but refuse to sell?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Studio One and Live...I know that when this computer dies I will be dumping Mac forever and so I will no longer have Logic at my disposal, therefore I keep these two for that day.

Reason 9.5:

I had Reason + Record which then became Reason 6. I then upgraded to Reason 9.5 just make sure I can still access older projects. I don't really use Reason at all but I have a lot of older projects that I refer back to every now and then. Also the sounds of some of the instruments is hard to reproduce another plugins/DAWs. I've been thinking of getting Reason 11 just to get the racks. I would probably start using that.

The main reason why I don't use the DAW is the sequencer and the interface. The sequencer hasn't evolved much since Record and is a pain to navigate imo. I'm also not young anymore, tiny knobs and tiny text on a tiny interface is a no go for me.

Maschine:

I've moved away from Maschine. I'm a vote with my wallet type of guy. I felt like NI weren't listening to long time customers. I've been a Maschine user since the very first version (I'm talking Maschine 1.0, since I had gotten my unit a few weeks before it was "officially" released). I really liked Maschine, but NI likes to play games. I'm not down for that. I keep Maschine around because I have a lot of projects I've done in Maschine over the years that I still go back to every now and then. I've moved on the MPC Live and Force. My Maschine Studio is gathering dust in a corner somewhere.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I'm gonna keep Harrison Mixbus forever. Advise one's self.

e@rs wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:03 pm Cubase Pro 10.0 (bloated; I don't 'feel' the workflow); Live 9 Suite + Push 2 (not enough USB ports on my laptop; I'll probably reconnect when the upgrade price to 10 will be more reasonable); Maschine 2 (again, lack of USB ports for the Mk1 controller), Renoise 3 (makes me think too much, lol).
Is it not possible to use a good quality USB hub on a laptop ?

Powered if necessary.

I have a USB hub for my dongles on my desktop. It's still annoying... if you have the hub on your desk, you want to comfortably plug in your external harddrives to it, or your MIDI keyboard, and then 2 dongles block some USB ports. Not cool.

Thankfully, it looks like Steinberg want to get rid of eLicenser, sooner or later.

I could stick one of the dongles on the spare USB port on the back of my desktop PC, but... 1. i'm not convinced that, when I have it plugged in the whole time, it will last as long as when I only plug it in when I need it, and, 2. what if I want to use one of the dongle protected software on my laptop from time to time?

Really, dongles suck. In 2020, companies should have found other ways to protect their software. I have no problem with online activation, for instance (e.g., Studio One's protection). There's gotta be a way which doesn't block your computer's USB ports.

biometrics 8)

apoclypse wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 pm Reason 9.5:

I had Reason + Record which then became Reason 6. I then upgraded to Reason 9.5 just make sure I can still access older projects. I don't really use Reason at all but I have a lot of older projects that I refer back to every now and then. Also the sounds of some of the instruments is hard to reproduce another plugins/DAWs. I've been thinking of getting Reason 11 just to get the racks. I would probably start using that.

The main reason why I don't use the DAW is the sequencer and the interface. The sequencer hasn't evolved much since Record and is a pain to navigate imo. I'm also not young anymore, tiny knobs and tiny text on a tiny interface is a no go for me.
Ditto. I always thought I would keep it just for the sounds and refills I had accumulated. When I rebuilt my computer, I never even bothered to install it. The racks looks interesting but for my DAW I prefer to stick with Cubase 9.5.

Pro-12 & Pro-24 for Atari ... just in case I want to revisit any tunes I wrote in the 1990's. I have an Atari STe in storage.

chk071 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:42 pmThankfully, it looks like Steinberg want to get rid of eLicenser, sooner or later.
Where did you read it?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I always forget the name, but, there's a Steinberg forum mod who is registered here, who said that they plan to scratch eLicenser. Even though that was quite a while ago, so, I don't really know when they will do so, if even.

dellboy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm Is it not possible to use a good quality USB hub on a laptop ?

Powered if necessary.
I have a spare USB-C port, and would be great to get a hub with at least 4 normal USBs on the other end, but I have no idea what a good quality hub might be. People recommended brands like Anker or Belkin, but I couldn't find a model to suit me and also be available locally.

So the DAWs I've used for years, Live and DP10 currently have decent, but annoying workarounds for MPE.

I bought a bundle of Logic and Final Cut Pro when I was taking a couple college music courses, and I just can't get into Logic. I used it for years, but the workflow just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I'm moving towards Bitwig instead of Live, but it's hard to get rid of a DAW with as many tracks written in it as I have in Live.

Reaper I tried for a year, it's pretty cool, but again, the workflow no matter how much I tailer it to my tastes just doesn't do it for me either. I hardly see the point of selling it though.

So yeah, Live, Logic and Reaper, all sit on my system pretty much unused right now, but I'm not ready to sell Live yet, Logic is impossible to sell really, and Reaper is too cheap to make sense to sell.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”