What was the moment when you decided to switch from hobbyst producer/musician to hobbyst DAW & Plugin hoarder??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm Isnt a hobbyst one of them short guys from Lord of the Rings?
Peter Jackson?

^ No,Peter is human. In real life he’s taller than he looks on camera.

Acid Mitch wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:33 pm ^ No,Peter is human. In real life he’s taller than he looks on camera.
thats what they all say!

Usually in a squeaky voice emanating from somewhere near the ground...

It just happened.. I honestly believed that if I buy (and use) all the best plugins in the market, my music would mysteriously be better than with freeware/native synths.

It wasn't..

Now I don't buy any new vstis anymore. I still have too many, but the ones I have are difficult to get rid of. Couple more hardware synths and I have everything I'll ever need to make some noise. Actually I have everything I need right now, but at least this time I really know what I'm after.

After hearing other's recordings and thinking wow, I need those plug-ins to improve my mixes.
I was wrong, so wrong. There's no magic plug-in, I often hear people's mixes that use stock and freeware that are miles ahead of mine.

In most cases, my lack of knowledge is main Achilles heel. Better monitoring, more practice, reference tracks and knowledge is what I require. I often make things sound worse by adding plug-ins.

This year, I decided to cut down after hoarding freeware plug-ins, samples, soundfonts and impulses, I was shocked that these amount to nearly to 60 50GB, including the Waves IR library, V9 and V10 legacy installers. First port of call is to drop all 32bit, except Antress Modern and VOS.
I need to learn to limit my choices and learn to use these.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

Maybe it's time to learn how to play an instrument...
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm Maybe it's time to learn how to play an instrument...
you mad bro? :o

Acid Mitch wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:33 pm ^ No,Peter is human. In real life he’s taller than he looks on camera.
He lives in a Hobbit hole. Lucky, rich, swine.

I think the OP is trolling.

But I'll answer anyway. It was when I went from a portastudio 4 track cassette to digital recording, with all of the possibilities that entails. Too many, actually. Yet, I keep adding more, although I don't think I need anymore VIs now.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10 pm
He lives in a Hobbit hole. Lucky, rich, swine.

I think the OP is trolling.
As long as vurt Gandalf can keep him talking until the sun rises, he will turn to stone.

What was the moment when you decided to switch from hobbyst producer/musician to hobbyst DAW & Plugin hoarder??
vurt wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 pm Maybe it's time to learn how to play an instrument...
you mad bro? :o

I'm guessing you only play yourself bro... :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WznLv41fOL0
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

we are not hobbitses
no!
are we? precious.
filthy recorder playung hobbitses

Mushy probably is. He loves mushrooms.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

classic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 pm It was a moment as I have lost a reason to make music.
There was no way to go any more. Nothing to achieve with it.
I am still making music, but the drive and the power and the love behind it
is somehow darkend or cloudet with something that I can´t put my finger on
to name it.
I had the purpose to give people back theire life and dreams with my music.
There may have been more purposes involved, and all together they made me go
and create and feel greate.
Today it is like sitting and wating and watching a desert that did replace
my world full of life.

Its like having lost a dear friend and waiting that he comes back.
Thinking this over every day, but can´t find a way out.
So I hope in assembling good sounds or software, there will be a kick
somehow, that brings back this part of my life I seem to have lost.

Sorry for the sad story, but you asked for it.
I hope you get your desire back. I remember one of your piano pieces (A Warm Wind) from 2012. One of the best tracks I heard here at KVR. You have a special talent :tu:

It happened when I bought my first synth.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”