What was the moment when you decided to switch from hobbyst producer/musician to hobbyst DAW & Plugin hoarder??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haha... I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. I've gone, well... still going, from hobbyist musician, to DAW hoarder... to reading about plugin hoarders, and hobbyist musicians, on forums like this... now I'm constantly in the buy/sell forum... I've got a lot of 16 bar loops I"m going to finish... soon, sigh. :roll:

Cartwheel wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:29 am Haha... I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. I've gone, well... still going, from hobbyist musician, to DAW hoarder... to reading about plugin hoarders, and hobbyist musicians, on forums like this... now I'm constantly in the buy/sell forum... I've got a lot of 16 bar loops I"m going to finish... soon, sigh. :roll:
Oh my God this is my life. Do we need to start a support group?

I used to hoard plugins like there's no tomorrow. But I'm ok now.
Now I only buy plugins if they are a no brainer deal or a game changer.

Does hoarding include, saving the installers locally for convenience? Like Steinberg, Toontrack, IK, Acustica, and Native Instruments, etc.
Maybe it's time to delete them and download when them needed, internet connections speeds have greatly improved.

Let the purge begin.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Uuhhhh, thank you for opening my abyss :cry: ... Which reminds me, I also have some cleaning up to do on my pc like a good-looking cleaning lady.
Yeah Noodlist, that changes things today. But thanks to that. What's online keeps my PC clean. And it probably doesn't weigh that much anymore either :P.

I have accumulated a huuuuge pile of shi.. free plugins since I started FL-Studio. But luckily, less installers were needed in the past. Copy DLL, done. No registry rodents.

I've sorted out severel times, but it's always the same problem: I open an old project and few plugins and sounds just don't work anymore.
I also renamed all the plugins to FX_, Reverb_, Instrument_, Synth_... so I can find them in FL-Studio at all (There was no search and filter function or similar in the past).
I really wanted to replace everything! This is a waste of time. No, I prefer to start something new, the past sinks and disappears truly in chaos.

I'm a friend of "one for all". A large workstation with a repetitive and meaningful structure. But that also made me crazy: There is always something that another plugin / daw can do and somthing not. The worst for study is when plugin developer suddenly start using other labels for typical parameters.
Each new plugin takes time to study.
That's why I always recommend to focus on a current project, to consider what you need at least for it. But I wish I myself were as wise as I can speak XD...

But that's all well and good, since I found pluginboutique, I buy myself crazy D:. Although I know the marketing strategies exactly. Maybe I have to compensate for something or I'm frustrated that I've already accumulated so much unused stuff :evil: . Also, I have an unrealistic view of the future, namely that I will never learn and use all this. I don't have enough time.

I'm glad I found Melda and Reaper, that solved a lot of things. For others it's may be omnisphere, or falcon and whatever DAW.

But what I can take away from buddhism, that you should take away the middle one. Don't overdo it. Don't hoard too much, but get something when it's realy useful.

Good luck :hug: !

wow some interesting stories to read! i had no idea some of you guys having so much trouble and i guess its much deeper then it looks.

I still hoard more books, DVD´s and blue rays than plug-ins. So all is fine yet. :)

i can prove im not a hobbit!
am i married to kanye? no! therefore, not a hobbit!

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 pmwow some interesting stories to read! i had no idea some of you guys having so much trouble and i guess its much deeper then it looks.
You make it sound like it's a bad thing :roll:

If it's a hobby, i.e. one's livelihood doesn't depend on making or engineering music, then why should anyone care if they're finishing any tunes or how they're spending money on their hobby? Are you going around asking people collecting stamps when are they finally going to send those letters?

My hobby is getting to know, learn and compare different DAWs and/or plugins and discuss that on-line. This gives me a lot of pleasure and is fun. If I finish some music in the process, then fine. If not, it's not a problem. And I can easily afford it, without stretching my household budget. Why is it then deemed as an inherently "inferior" hobby compared to actually just writing music with 1 DAW and 3 plugins?

One could argue people like me contribute more to the music industry - by buying stuff, sending tickets & feature requests to developers, sharing knowledge, etc. - than a frustrated bedroom producer that "releases" new track every week (or makes 15 beats a day...) but no one listens to that, because the market is so saturated...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:55 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 pmwow some interesting stories to read! i had no idea some of you guys having so much trouble and i guess its much deeper then it looks.
yup; implying that is obviously the entire point of creating the thread.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 pm wow some interesting stories to read! i had no idea some of you guys having so much trouble and i guess its much deeper then it looks.
What's your role in this support group? Edward Norton or Helen Bonham Carter?

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:34 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 pm wow some interesting stories to read! i had no idea some of you guys having so much trouble and i guess its much deeper then it looks.
What's your role in this support group? Edward Norton or Helen Bonham Carter?
Meat Loaf's lactating left one, I suspect.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:55 pm

If it's a hobby, i.e. one's livelihood doesn't depend on making or engineering music, then why should anyone care if they're finishing any tunes or how they're spending money on their hobby? Are you going around asking people collecting stamps when are they finally going to send those letters?

My hobby is getting to know, learn and compare different DAWs and/or plugins and discuss that on-line. This gives me a lot of pleasure and is fun. If I finish some music in the process, then fine. If not, it's not a problem. And I can easily afford it, without stretching my household budget. Why is it then deemed as an inherently "inferior" hobby compared to actually just writing music with 1 DAW and 3 plugins?

One could argue people like me contribute more to the music industry - by buying stuff, sending tickets & feature requests to developers, sharing knowledge, etc. - than a frustrated bedroom producer that "releases" new track every week (or makes 15 beats a day...) but no one listens to that, because the market is so saturated...
Dont you think you apply this too much to yourself? because i cant find why you even apply your case here because it is very different from these ex
When my prescribed dose of SSNRI reached about 450mg x 3 times per day, and I was being harassed at work by my sociopathic immediate supervisor...
and this
It was a moment as I have lost a reason to make music.
There was no way to go any more. Nothing to achieve with it.
I am still making music, but the drive and the power and the love behind it
is somehow darkend or cloudet with something that I can´t put my finger on
to name it.
I had the purpose to give people back theire life and dreams with my music.
There may have been more purposes involved, and all together they made me go
and create and feel greate.
Today it is like sitting and wating and watching a desert that did replace
my world full of life.

Its like having lost a dear friend and waiting that he comes back.
Thinking this over every day, but can´t find a way out.
So I hope in assembling good sounds or software, there will be a kick
somehow, that brings back this part of my life I seem to have lost.

Sorry for the sad story, but you asked for it.
So yes it is a bad thing in those cases because it reveals some actual problems in life.

Elektronisch wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 amDont you think you apply this too much to yourself? because i cant find why you even apply your case here because it is very different from these ex...
Well, you never specified that you're only interested in an answer when it has some dramatic, psychological background :P
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

...when I sold my last portastudio and went pc....it kept me occupied for years with all these abilities.
- should I use this plugin
- nah, I must get something new...
- and on it went...in that loop...

All you could do with portastudio was to record - so that was what you did.

I was lost on pc for a good while....but I'm better now....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”