2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh, yeah... finished building this over the weekend.

Arp 1601 sequencer clone. Once I've currated all the images and notes, I'll post about the build in the DIY section.

Beautiful...

sweet!

Can't say enough about XLN's XO drum thing. Best and most fun purchase in years. Like a toy I just can't put down, every time I think I have it figured out, it shows me some new possibilities. Highly recommended.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Thanks guys, I'm really happy it came out so nicely. It also worked right off the bat, with only a few small issues.
Now, I need to calibrate it. I'll have fun sequencing euro stuff in the meantime but I really can't wait until the 2600 arrives! :hyper:

justin3am wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:51 pm Thanks guys, I'm really happy it came out so nicely. It also worked right off the bat, with only a few small issues.
Now, I need to calibrate it. I'll have fun sequencing euro stuff in the meantime but I really can't wait until the 2600 arrives! :hyper:
when are they due?

I was told early March but that date isn't firm. So hopefully by April, at the latest.

nice one! not a massive long wait then :)
looking forward to you getting that, im assuming it will inspire more videos and sounds :wheee:

You and me both! I'm planning to do a bunch of stuff with just the 2600 and guitar. I'm already putting together some notes based on patches I made with Arturia's 2600V. That's kinda what lead to building the 1601 clone... all of my 2600V patches rely heavily on the Arp sequencer and I wasn't about to get a vintage one. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:54 pm
I'm interested to hear about your approach with envelopes. I tend to use simple envelopes (I have 3 Functions, 2 Maths, a Dual 281 clone, Tides and a Pip Slope) combined to make more complex envelope shapes, unless I'm playing a patch from keys. In that case I'm more likely to generate the envelope from Bitwig. I like to combine (mix, OR, compare, multiply) two or three envelopes in different amounts route them to several destinations. Maybe I'll use the same attack decay stages for the whole patch but I might OR that with a second envelope for sustain and release stages for the amp, where I'll mix the first envelope with a looping third envelope, to control the pitch or filter cutoff on another module.

Do you tend to use a master 'Amp' envelope/VCA at the end of the chain? I know you tend to be pretty adventurous with your audio signal routing, so I'd be interested to hear more about how you handle dynamics and modulation. Maybe a better topic for your thread on MW...
Hi Justin...

After I got the Neutron and then the o-coast my first eurorack modules were Maleko 3_inverter (also summed and inverted sum), Pico LogicA (Sum, Diff, Max and Min), Pico EG ,2hp attenuaters, Disting4 and a cv mixer,,, just so I could get all that variety of combining etc.. after all that manipulation, not sure if they could be called "envelopes" any more .. the other modules I find so useful are the A185-2 P_adders and mult_switches. another lovely module is Joranalog's add2.. a P_adder but also has an average mode. That was last March... now 53 modules. :oops:
The endorphines BLCK_NOIR arrived last Friday... fits in so well with what I do now.

That arpseq looks cool.. looking forward to your build pics.

justin3am wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:20 pm Oh, yeah... finished building this over the weekend.

Arp 1601 sequencer clone. Once I've currated all the images and notes, I'll post about the build in the DIY section.
Beautiful! :tu: Justin do you have any recommendations for a soldering station? I'm seriously
considering building a Black Corp Deckard's Dream from a kit. I have a couple cheap weller's,
but want to find a nice solution. They're ok, but not very precise in the way of temp control.
Also what do you like for solder and flux? I can't even buy flux here or overly thin gauge
solder even. Got to ship it all in, so I am curious as to your preference.

BTW" I really like my cosmotronic delta-v, an envelope with integrated VCA seems to
sound better to me than level control of another for some reason. A lot of times it seems
difficult to get good volume control over another module. Often I have to attenuate again
(a lot) via a 3rd module prior to the mixing stage.

I like Kester 0.031" for thru-hole parts and 0.025" for SMD. Sn63/Pb37 (37% lead).
If I can't get Kester, MG Chemical is fine too (what I can get at my local shop).
I use a Weller WESD51 soldering station, which I like. I get the finest/smallest tips I can find. I've heard Metcal recommended by a lot of reputable engineers and builders.
I have a Lukey hot air rework station I got from Fry's. It's a peice of crap but does the job for the most part.
Flux... I just get chipquik from the local shop. I don't know enough to make an informed recommendation.

justin3am wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:53 pm I like Kester 0.031" for thru-hole parts and 0.025" for SMD. Sn63/Pb37 (37% lead).
If I can't get Kester, MG Chemical is fine too (what I can get at my local shop).
I use a Weller WESD51 soldering station, which I like. I get the finest/smallest tips I can find. I've heard Metcal recommended by a lot of reputable engineers and builders.
I have a Lukey hot air rework station I got from Fry's. It's a peice of crap but does the job for the most part.
Flux... I just get chipquik from the local shop. I don't know enough to make an informed recommendation.
Thanks, anyway it all seems to be working for you pretty well :tu:

Ordered a 2nd tier keyboard stand to gain back some desk space. Should be able to arrange things much better if I can move a keyboard off the desk.

Oops! Bought some more of all the stuff, this time an ACL Sinfonion:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”