Hybrid Synth Sampler "Workstations" - Details, Experiences, Discussion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Faiky wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:01 am I don't have much time and no DAW right now, sorry :? , but I recommend the tutorials:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/tutorials
For more detailed questions I would recommend to use the Melda forum here on KVR (really to your advantage :hug: ), where experienced users can see the topic and can help too, and the developer himself to figure out if something isn't working.

I really didn't mean to blow you off, but I can't help you right now, sorry :hug:!

But a little info: Morphing via A-B-C-D is possible, not automatable. But there are MP Bank parameters where you can select what you want to morph.
Same here, from the Office: I´ll check it out later. I prefer checking it out and learning a lot on the Fly, most Questions solve quickly.

The one with the Modulators unfortunately 1-8 / MB Mod unfortunately not. Thanks again, see you!

While we are here defining some ground rules about what is and isnt a sampler - and generally I agree - it needs to let you use your own samples etc. - we should also set some rules about what is and isnt a synth - it needs to be able to "do" one of the basic synthesis models - subtractive, or Fm or PM etc. etc. and needs to do it by NOT using samples...if you agree with this constraint then Kontakt is definitely not a synth.
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Lind0n wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:33 pm While we are here defining some ground rules about what is and isnt a sampler - and generally I agree - it needs to let you use your own samples etc. - we should also set some rules about what is and isnt a synth - it needs to be able to "do" one of the basic synthesis models - subtractive, or Fm or PM etc. etc. and needs to do it by NOT using samples...if you agree with this constraint then Kontakt is definitely not a synth.
Do it's wavetable oscillators not make it a synth?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm Do it's wavetable oscillators not make it a synth?
And granular engine... even if that's very dependent on scripts to fully unveil its potential.

And let's not forget that it can use single cycle looped waves, which is what many soft synths use, anyway. :shrug:

As a matter of fact, although Kontakt is not as powerful, in terms of synthesis, as its rivals Falcon and HALion, it has enough to still be considered a synth, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm
Do it's wavetable oscillators not make it a synth?
Technically thats a sampler...as theres no maths involved...

I might have got it wrong.
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRUMP wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:47 am
- I know.
- Crossover has only two Bands. I suggest the LimiterMB.
- Want to modulate the Band Levels and Frequencys

It´s in the "Levels + Meters" (?) Section - ok - all those Buttons everywehre.... I´ll check it out later. And the "Banks", too. I hope they can morph?

But maybe - have you checked out an OSC Waveform Selector for own Instruements already? Does it only work via Banks? And how to define which OSC Presets get integrated? via Keywords? The Management and Integration of Sub-Presets (OSC, WT, FX, ...) is the next big Topic on my List. Until now: everything fine - straight forwards and "open" (except maybe WT-export, but that is a technical Issue I suppose).

Thank you!
How to modulate a MP:

How to set up 3 bands and modulate the bands:
First a setup for individual FX. Then only the MBLimiter.

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 pm
I have a couple of questions about it if you don't mind. I could work this out for myself but I'm not firing on all cylinders at the moment. Any input is appreciated.

First of all, is there a demo? What are the restrictions? Time? iLok BS? That kind of thing.

Secondly, what is it actually like to use an iLok with that software? I am fiercely against it from what I have heard - all the things that can go wrong, and have gone wrong, the pros and cons between soft and hard implementations of it. It's riskier using the soft version from what I can tell. But the thing is, if I did it I would go hard version, as I don't envision buying ANY other software that uses this crap. *

Fourthly, how is the sampling in Falcon? For bringing in raw wave files and manipulating them and mapping them?

Ok well thats a long pst but let me take a run at some of it..

I'm an audio developer for a living, and I've been building Kontakt based products for myself and for others more famous names than me for over 10 years.. I've owned Falcon from V1.0 and Kontakt from v2.0 onwards

First the Falcon questions:

- yes there's "iLok BS" - I use a hardware iLok and frankly Ive never had a problem with it. True I only really have Falcon and the Steven Slate stuff on it tho...

- As a sampler - its not as sophisticated as Kontakt (I have literally about 15 mins with Halion so cant comment) -I've released one set of samples for Falcon - they sell, not well, but a bit. If I was looking for a platform to release product on it would be low on my list. If I were looking for a tool to make cool interesting stuff on (including using its internal sampler) then it'd be pretty high (probably top) of my list.

So my experience in a nutshell: Falcon as a tool for audio design work is pretty unsurpassable for its power and flexibility

The platform I now use for product development and delivery: HISE - theres a slew of reasons for this...

Kontakt? : yeah architecturally broken in the 21st century(for me) - silly UI - development at glacial speeds (historically - tho they've sped up a bit now there is competition). Im really glad as a developer not to have to use it unless some one pays me to these days...

Lind0n wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:33 pm While we are here defining some ground rules about what is and isnt a sampler - and generally I agree - it needs to let you use your own samples etc. - we should also set some rules about what is and isnt a synth - it needs to be able to "do" one of the basic synthesis models - subtractive, or Fm or PM etc. etc. and needs to do it by NOT using samples...if you agree with this constraint then Kontakt is definitely not a synth.
This Definition has one severe Weakness: the missing Definition of "Sample" and the Demarcation of "Synthesis" from Sample-"Derivates" like SC-Waveforms and Granular. But anyway - is this Question really important? I guess not really - and I´ve already grumped my ASR10 through SC-Synthesis until it sounded like no Sampler ... The Materials you work with and the Methods you use for Sound Design are lastly probably decisive. Do you know this famous Choir Sound for U-he Zebra(SimChoir). This Guy Ed Harvey has really abused Zeb as a kind of Sampler :? Life is weird and we´re all alittle bit weird :D

As I see it, there isn't much about. It really does come down to Kontakt, Falcon, Icarus, Omnisphere. And if you want to work samples and synthesis at the same time it really funnels down to Falcon vs. Halion, with Falcon being slightly stronger on the synthesis side and Halion stronger on the sampling.
Melda Sound Factory. I was convinced to check it above [...] and I´m really glad that Faiky triggered this Learning Process. MSF is much more than Melda promises. I´d recommend to check some Youtube Vids about the Synthesis Engine and Sampling. No Limits Syntheis plus ALL Melda FX (a growing Number until now). HQ Sound Generators + HQ FX Unit + Modularity = Preset Quality. The Presets delivered i.m.O. don´t even scratch the Surface of the Possibilities. My first Attempts sound better for me and I was immediately blown away how quickly it delivered really convincing Results (VOX Sounds, Digital Pads). And: it is an "open" System. You can quickly! create Products, lock them and generate Serial Keys. But: no Sampling yet, just Sample Playback. I have Halion+MPC = no Headache here.
In fact, I tried to buy Halion the other day but Steinberg seem to be up to shenanigans with this last sale, so it may be that I do end up buying it if they honour our agreement, but if they don't, it will be a very serious incentive for me to finally get Falcon. I'll post more about that soon in the recent Halion thread.
Halion is great for Sampling, cutting, automatic Mapping+Naming, Layering, Modulation. Just for that Purpose and the Time you´ll save worth its Price. Worth mentioning: Superiour Granular Engine. But Synth-Zones, Filters, FX and so on never convinced me. Instrument Design? Better take two Wood Blocks [...]. The System is not really "open".
codec_spurt wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 pm Blah blah blah. I would have bought this software at full price if I had known about it. Nobody talks about it. Nobody seems to use it. Lots of people using Falcon and lots of people talking about it. Much more than Halion. Why is that?
We´ll never know. But for Sampling in the narrow Sense of the Term it is the best Mate you can imagine i. m. O.
I suppose I'm looking more for a sample based solution, because I have a lot of work by vocalists I have recorded (some for actual sample libraries I was building) and I want to make them available in a modern accessible format. Pretty much free for the most part with possibly a Gentleman's Edition on top if if it garners that much interest.
Kontakt has the biggest User Group. But we´ll never know so you´d maybe better Team up with some others and Deliver several Sampler Formats.
codec_spurt wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 pm What would be the better instrument to do that in?
And Halion does seem to have a pretty decent model with regard to sharing your work with others no strings attached.
It is a "decent Model" - on the first Look. The Problem is the Generation of own GUIs / Instruments. Taht Part is only easy on the first Look and in simplified Tutorials. If you want to publish for Halion Full Version Owner = no Problem at all.
I'm sitting on a Gold Mine of vocal samples that are only in my stewardship. This has been a long term project and a labour of love for me and I want to see it come to fruition.
And where are you sitting? I´m sitting on an overequipped VST Studio focussing on Airy VOX Choir Sounds hungry to mangle real Voice to Synth Patches from parallel Dimensions.!°

By the Way the MSF seems not to be the right Tool for you. Its a Syntheis Workstation. For your Vocal Project I have Halion or Falcon in Mind, too. Which one you chose should depend on the Targets. Lots of Mangeling and FX? > rather Falcon. If it is about Sclicing, Mapping, Pristine Sound, Realism Halion seems out of Touch for me. It is really solid and the Elicenser is rather advantageous if you want to move one Day. The Steinbegrs want to live, too ;-)

Faiky wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:56 pm
GRUMP wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:47 am
TUTORIAL IMAGES
Thanks for that, so kind of you - and works fine. Next Topic [...]! <3 MSF!

I might have got it wrong.

Sorry missed this question:

codec_spurt wrote: ↑Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:31 am
What would be the better instrument to do that in?

Best product to do a sample-content based release in terms of audience is HISE - you deliver in native VST/VST3/AU/AAX and stand alone formats and iOS apps too, so your potential audience is bigger than Halion, Kontakt, Falcon. All from a single code base. But as others have mentioned (and I alluded to) - HISE *isnt* an end-user solution really - its a developer solution, so your best bet would be to partner up with/hire a HISE developer - but I would say that; as Im a HISE developer.

Return to “Instruments”