Is Studio One the best alternative to Protools?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm after a new mixing DAW. I've been reading studio one has good workflow. Also is it stable? as this is the reason I'm leaving PTs.

“Best” is a very subjective term

I would suggest Logic.

It's a good DAW overall but there were fundamental issues with every version that went unaddressed.. Presonus just ups the version number and expects an upgrade fee.

There's no shortage of them going cheap over in the sales thread for that very reason.

ehdyn wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:25 am It's a good DAW overall but there were fundamental issues with every version that went unaddressed.. Presonus just ups the version number and expects an upgrade fee.

There's no shortage of them going cheap over in the sales thread for that very reason.
^ Pretty much hyperbole and nonsense...

First off, pretty much every DAW has a scattering of minor issues from point 0, many of which go unnoticed by the vast majority of users. Full point 5 updates of Studio One (which as big as any other DAW's full point updates) are free as are every .1 one release before and after as one would expect. Full point updates are feature packed...

Studio One can be bought for half price during Black Friday, upgrades are half price or less as well at this time of year. This means sellers can either profit or make very little loss in selling Studio One should they wish to. How cheap it's sold, doesn't always reflect the quality of the software itself..

If you wait to upgrade, you don't get penalised for waiting as you would with Cubase for example... and these's no subscription. You can also set it up for offline use after an initial online activation.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

As someone who was using the program from the very beginning I disagree. There were serious issues in version 2 and 3 that were ignored and the fixes were not backported leaving users with the option of either paying again and hoping things improve or abandoning ship. The buy/sell forum is flooded with StudioOne licenses on deep discount for a reason.

The other DAWs are extremely mature and refined at this point and no one expected Presonus to be able to match them immediately but glaring issues from users shouldn't have been ignored in favor of headline grabbing features at every turn.

I enjoy the program, by and large it has a lot going for it.. just being honest here that it's not a big league player yet.

Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 am I'm after a new mixing DAW. I've been reading studio one has good workflow. Also is it stable? as this is the reason I'm leaving PTs.
The simple answer is to demo it for yourself.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

I started on Studio One 2 and didn't encounter any issues other than buggy plugins, worked my way through 3.01, 3.5, 4.02 now at 4.5.6 and really... there's nothing I can say that stopped me from producing music or to feel the software was holding me back, other than a single 4.2 release which had loopback issue with the play line. I could have gone back to a previous update where that issue didn't exist but it wasn't a big issue with being too busy doing a CGI film at the time... On a Windows based PC, Studio One is great.. but those on Mac's may have more issue's and that's generally reflected in the release notes.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:14 am
Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 am I'm after a new mixing DAW. I've been reading studio one has good workflow. Also is it stable? as this is the reason I'm leaving PTs.
That's the ticket right there, the one and only way to know for yourself

As with the dude above, I can't say I have had any issue(s) that have impacted me on my journey with Studio One, which started at the release of v3, been smooth sailing for me.
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:28 am
burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:14 am
That's the ticket right there, the one and only way to know for yourself

As with the dude above, I can't say I have had any issue(s) that have impacted me on my journey with Studio One, which started at the release of v3, been smooth sailing for me.
Good point but the reason people ask the question first is because they dont have the time to demo, learning several daws at once from scratch + they have limited C drive space (in my case). It's just quicker to get a consensus so people can, in this case explain how it's similar to protools or whatever the question is

What makes for a good mixing DAW? Being able to handle audio well, and having good built in fx?

Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:55 am

Good point but the reason people ask the question first is because they dont have the time to demo, learning several daws at once from scratch + they have limited C drive space (in my case). It's just quicker to get a consensus so people can, in this case explain how it's similar to protools or whatever the question is
No DAW is perfect... and stability may depend on your OS and hardware.
Forget about "best DAWs".
If you are looking for a good mixing DAW on Windows - S1, Reaper, Mixbus, Cubase, Cakewalk should do the work. All of these should have online pdf manuals, so check their features on your own.
Expecting a well written comparison between all these DAWs and PT is naive idea - all these programs are deep and I doubt many people know them well enough to make objective report of all features.

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Influencer powah!

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:21 am Influencer powah!
Well, check the 3rd video - it's not all smooth sailing for him and he's open about it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:09 am What makes for a good mixing DAW? Being able to handle audio well, and having good built in fx?
Any DAW sold in 2020 does that. The main point is the workflow, which is different for every DAW...
And there is the problem with demoing. I am still looking for an ProTools replacement as intuitive as the original. Usually I get stuck for the most simple things simply because the workflow is different and I know the original so well.
For me a DAW which does not cut it is for example Logic, I have it and worked long enough to be able to judge. Alone the waveform display is an unprofessional joke and renders it as a tool for amateurs. But that only because I need to be able to edit classical music, for mainstream producers it is a professional tool.
Without knowing the music styles its used for, all these recommendations are pretty useless, and only answers from people knowing ProTools by heart as well are useful...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”