Neutron 3 just dropped

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neutron 3 Advanced Neutron 3 Standard Neutron Elements

for one, Neutron has zero latency mode, while Ozone doesn't. more importantly, they are geared towards different uses. Ozone is more of a (master) bus processor and has a lot of tools like stereo imaging, tonal balancing, matching EQ, maximizer, spectral shaper, etc., while Neutron is more of a channel utilities thing, and has your bread and butter FX - compressor, EQ, gate, saturation, transient shaper. Ozone probably can do everything Neutron can (bar transient shaper perhaps), but Neutron can do it with no latency and with relatively less CPU usage.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

bill45 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:27 pm How different are the Neutron 3 advanced modules from the Ozone 9 advanced modules?
Sculptor is similar to spectral Shaper in ozone 9.Do I really need Neutron 3 advanced
if I have ozone 9 advanced? I think today is the last day for the $199 tonal balance bundle.
Really don't need Nectar
Pretty different.
Sculptor is not really similar to spectral shaper in the matter of what they do, only in how they do it.
But they sound and behave completely different.
DynamicEQ in Neutron3 has sidechaining and you can sidechain different bands into each other, ozone EQ doesn't.
There's no transient shaper in Ozone9.
There's no gate in Ozone9.
Also Neutron's Exciter behaves a little different and sounds a bit different.

They really tried to make them different enough to each be worth its own.

And frankly, Nectar has some great modules, and a tracking EQ. :)

Edit:
also while exploring Ozone when writing a reply, i discovered it has a "prevent anti-phase" button. :party:

Thanks guys.

Felt like burning some money this month.

Today tried Sculptor and (multiband) Transient Shaper - both did their job. Sculptor is quite an unique tool, which allowed to fix some weird synth issues I couldn't quite tackle otherwise.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

For those using Nectar 3 (not Neutron), am I right in understanding that it doesn't break out the modules as separate plugins the same way that Ozone and Neutron does??

simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:59 pm For those using Nectar 3 (not Neutron), am I right in understanding that it doesn't break out the modules as separate plugins the same way that Ozone and Neutron does??
no, and its a damn shame.
also RIP on your suspension

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:03 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:59 pm For those using Nectar 3 (not Neutron), am I right in understanding that it doesn't break out the modules as separate plugins the same way that Ozone and Neutron does??
In Ozone 8 the modules became usable as individual plugins.
The Nectar ones aren't available that way, and its a shame that Follow-EQ, for example, isn't. There is no Follow-EQ in Ozone or Neutron.
Possibly in Nectar 4 they might make the plugins available individually.... for a small upgrade price... ;)

n Ozone 8 the modules became usable as individual plugins.
The Nectar ones aren't available that way, and its a shame that Follow-EQ, for example, isn't. There is no Follow-EQ in Ozone or Neutron.
This is exactly what I figured out... too late. Got Nectar in Tonal Balance Bundle, but didn't use it yet.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

i'm a bit disappointed with nectar3 honestly...
For micropitch shift in harmony module: +/- 15 cents already produces artefacts. Microshift and Schwa CMX don't.
- Formant shifting that's only available if you enable pitch correction (and you need to turn slider down), and the quality of formant shifting is worse than Logic's own Vocal Transformer.
- Lack of pitch shifting outside harmony module.

Considering how GOOD all these are in iZotope RX, i'd expect a higher latency radius stretcher/pitcher at least optional.
i find myself using it less and less, and i used to like it a lot.

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:10 pm i'm a bit disappointed with nectar3 honestly...
For micropitch shift in harmony module: +/- 15 cents already produces artefacts. Microshift and Schwa CMX don't.
- Formant shifting that's only available if you enable pitch correction (and you need to turn slider down), and the quality of formant shifting is worse than Logic's own Vocal Transformer.
- Lack of pitch shifting outside harmony module.

Considering how GOOD all these are in iZotope RX, i'd expect a higher latency radius stretcher/pitcher at least optional.
i find myself using it less and less, and i used to like it a lot.
While I believe you, I used to get fairly decent results from the harmoniser in version 2. I wouldn’t expect them to make v3 worse.

That said they do include a basic Melodyne with their plugin, that kind of says something. Still I find it unusual they haven’t developed go pitch altering technology. First, they had Radius in the early days, then look a tiny all they’ve accomplished with Ozone, RX and Neutron.

I certainly think they’d be capable. Perhaps they just ran out of time. Threw in Melodyne to buy themselves some time so they can focus on it for next version, now that the inter-app communication and and Mix Assistant tech is out of the way. Perhaps VocalSynth was a milestone of of creating something like that.

Still, I imagine they’d be doing something new with reverb over the next coming year or two,

simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:33 am While I believe you, I used to get fairly decent results from the harmoniser in version 2. I wouldn’t expect them to make v3 worse.

That said they do include a basic Melodyne with their plugin, that kind of says something. Still I find it unusual they haven’t developed go pitch altering technology. First, they had Radius in the early days, then look a tiny all they’ve accomplished with Ozone, RX and Neutron.

I certainly think they’d be capable. Perhaps they just ran out of time. Threw in Melodyne to buy themselves some time so they can focus on it for next version, now that the inter-app communication and and Mix Assistant tech is out of the way. Perhaps VocalSynth was a milestone of of creating something like that.

Still, I imagine they’d be doing something new with reverb over the next coming year or two,
harmoniser is decent - just don't solo it if you need it for less "harmonising" and more subtle things.
RX still has Radius - i doubt its the same, but its still by far one of the best stretching/pitching algos i've tried. If Nectar had radius, i'd be super happy.
Melodyne was supposed to replace the off-line correction of Nectar2, not all other pitch modules :/

I’m not sure what happened there. I was on a thread where the dev was getting slammed, so I said something in their defence. I think maybe somebody just hit the nuke button and suspended all involved, thinking I was one of the offenders. I emailed them for clarification, but no reply.

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:37 am
simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:33 am While I believe you, I used to get fairly decent results from the harmoniser in version 2. I wouldn’t expect them to make v3 worse.

harmoniser is decent - just don't solo it if you need it for less "harmonising" and more subtle things.
RX still has Radius - i doubt its the same, but its still by far one of the best stretching/pitching algos i've tried. If Nectar had radius, i'd be super happy.
Melodyne was supposed to replace the off-line correction of Nectar2, not all other pitch modules :/
Yeah, but still, given that I still think iZotope would certainly be capable. Take Radius and turbo charge it. That might be a good start,

Bansaw wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:34 pm
In Ozone 8 the modules became usable as individual plugins.
Possibly in Nectar 4 they might make the plugins available individually.... for a small upgrade price... ;)

Yeah the eq is one thing I’d like to break out, the Harmonizer is possibly another.

Still, I have it now and Neutron. I upgraded to Tonal Balance about week or two back when the upgrade was on special. I’ve yet to use them though. Haven’t had time recently. Possibly next week I might get a chance, though.

simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am Yeah, but still, given that I still think iZotope would certainly be capable. Take Radius and turbo charge it. That might be a good start,
for starters, just take radius :D (its much better than what's in neutron)
turbo charging would be a plus

Return to “Effects”