Reason 11 announced!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

EnochLight wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:16 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:05 pm they rather try to implement or extend features existing elsewhere in a unique, workflow friendly manner, i.e. 80/20 rule - 80% of the full feature set, but MUCH easier and fun to use, like the modulation system, building of complex parallel instrument & FX chains, The Grid (vs. Max, VCV or Softube Modular), controlling modular hardware systems, etc. That's where their focus and (most of) innovation is.
I hear you. Sounds similar to how Propellerhead/Reason Studios operates, not so ironically - though Reason is just "different". And clearly developmentally glacial! :lol:
Reason had over a decade to get it right. (Still working on it)

Live is slow at updating and embracing modern technologies. (Always last to the party)

Bitwig is pure innovation with rapid updates and modern features. (Light years ahead)
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

I agree with the original point. I first bought a Reason license at version 7, and passed on the version 8 and version 9 upgrades (Sound on Sound, I think, captured the feeling of most in calling these upgrades "underwhelming" and "not much value for the money" - see here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pr ... d-reason-9). It seems like it was only after the company received new investors and replaced the old guard's stubborn resistance to VST, the innovations and improvements have arrived at a much greater pace - first with the hosting of VSTs in version 10 and now the Reason Rack VST in version 11. Seems undeniable to me that they were at risk of being left very far behind before the embrace of VST, and now they are back in the game. With the Reason Rack VST, they can co-exist with many other DAWs quite nicely now.

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:21 pmBitwig is pure innovation with rapid updates and modern features. (Light years ahead)
Please stop with the hyperbole. Bitwig's great, but it's not a gift from God(s). No DAW is.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

As someone who used Reason 1.0 -2.5 and left until 11 was announced, I'm quite happy. Reason as a rack of tools for your DAW is an amazing value. MIDI out and the drum designer are pretty cool.
I get the GUI issue and I don't get it. Coming from other DAWs every one of them has an issue or two that seems solvable from the outside perspective, but IMO must not be quite as easy as the rest of the world thinks.
Ableton doesn't do poly aftertouch or MPE, it was probably an oversight at the time they originally coded Live 1.0 based on poly AT going out of fashion, but years later MPE needs better MIDI In general and Live still doesn't do MPE. I have no doubt that Ableton are not happy about this, and hopefully at some point Live users get MPE.
All of that applies to Reason, NI, most AAS, PSP etc. etc. with GUI's that are too small for 4k monitors. Hell, Arturia were one of the first plug in developers I use that did resizable GUI's and all people did was complain about the method they used taking too much drive space... :roll:

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:57 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:21 pmBitwig is pure innovation with rapid updates and modern features. (Light years ahead)
Please stop with the hyperbole. Bitwig's great, but it's not a gift from God(s). No DAW is.
Have you tried Reaper? :hihi:

EnochLight wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:40 pm Counterpoint: the things that you are provided with Reason 11 stock out of the box, instruments, effects, utilities, and even its arguably rudimentary sequencer, are far, far more of a complete package compared to Bitwig's "stock" items.
The props have been rocking many of these same Reason devices and FX since the mid 2000s.
I remember working on one of my earliest projects in Reason the day before the tsunami hit in December 2004.
I recently bought Reason Intro just for kicks and there were some of those exact same instruments and FX staring back at me like no time had passed at all, and those instruments still have that special "CPU efficient sound" which was revolutionary back when PC users were using Pentium 4s and Steinberg were on Cubase SX3 but not now.
Innovative is not a word I associate with "Reason Studios", They have done very little compared to the competition in the past 15 years.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:15 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:57 pm
Have you tried Reaper? :hihi:
Yes. V6 finally made it acceptable in terms of GUI, but MIDI editing is atrocious, so I'll be back when it's reworked.
Music tech enthusiast

Nobody else experiencing Ableton 10 hanging when trying to run the Reason Rack VST 11.2?

machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:15 pm Have you tried Reaper? :hihi:
Yes. That's more of a "Hades scorched-earth policy" DAW than a gift from the gods. :D :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Logic users!
Some great tips on stuff you can do with the Reason Rack inside Logic:
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 1cc258b4d0

lotus2035 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:19 pm The props have been rocking many of these same Reason devices and FX since the mid 2000s.
Huh? There has been a veritable plethora of new devices since the mid-2000's, in almost each and every major release in fact (and in some point releases).
lotus2035 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:19 pm I recently bought Reason Intro just for kicks and there were some of those exact same instruments and FX staring back at me like no time had passed at all, and those instruments still have that special "CPU efficient sound"..
Well sure - it's Intro after all, and aside from the Europa synth (which most certainly does NOT sound "CPU efficient"), Audiomatic Retro Transformer, some Players and a few newer effects, most of the devices are classic devices.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 pmYes. V6 finally made it acceptable in terms of GUI, but MIDI editing is atrocious, so I'll be back when it's reworked.
MIDI editing is pretty great, have a tweak of mouse modifiers (default setup for MIDI editing is not smooth at all) and it becomes a ton better. Can even get very close to FL Studio style (single click note entry, right click note removes it, same for CCs, etc.)

And using juliansader's MIDI editing scripts things are way better and more flexible editing-wise than in any other DAW, actually.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:44 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 pmYes. V6 finally made it acceptable in terms of GUI, but MIDI editing is atrocious, so I'll be back when it's reworked.
MIDI editing is pretty great, have a tweak of mouse modifiers (default setup for MIDI editing is not smooth at all) and it becomes a ton better. Can even get very close to FL Studio style (single click note entry, right click note removes it, same for CCs, etc.)

And using juliansader's MIDI editing scripts things are way better and more flexible editing-wise than in any other DAW, actually.
Thanks. I'll give those a go. :tu:
Music tech enthusiast

Oh and yeah, you can finally edit CCs with nodes and curves, like regular automation envelopes. Big improvement!

EnochLight wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:59 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:15 pm Have you tried Reaper? :hihi:
Yes. That's more of a "Hades scorched-earth policy" DAW than a gift from the gods. :D :lol:
I like Reaper OK, own a license even, but it's funny how people who love it or hate it can't shut up about it. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Reason Rack is fantastic, in any DAW now. Great stuff, and good to hear they plan on updating the GUI sizes etc. I run vanilla 1080p monitors so it's not that bad to me, and it's not bad on a retina display laptop IMO.

I would love updates for touch screens, but I get how much work that would be.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”