Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
bharris22
KVRAF
1702 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:41 pm

getdunne wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:18 pm
We're in the midst of releasing an update, so I'm not sure which version you have. We are moving to a newer setup procedure where the two older .guru files are now "unified" into a single one called Unify Factory Content.

PLEASE read the README.rtf file that came with your installer. It explains that Unify will ask you to locate .guru files one at a time (only one in the latest version, two in earlier versions). DO NOT put them in the Libraries folder. They are basically renamed ZIP files, and Unify will unzip their contents into the correct folders automatically when you select them during the setup procedure.
OK - I did read the README.rtf file, and while its (still) says "You’ll also need the smaller file Unify Basics.guru, which you’ll find in the same zip archive as this READ ME file," the installer never asked me to locate that file. Based on your response then, given that the installer only asked me to locate the one .guru file (Unify Standard Library.guru), is it safe to assume that I have the newer install and that everything installed correctly? I see now when I look in my account that the single library called "Unify Factory Content.guru" is in there, whereas just a couple of days ago when I downloaded it (version 1.07, I believe), there were the two separate .guru libraries - Standard Library.guru and Unify Basics.guru.

Sounds like it may be better to just uninstall and reinstall the entire program :(.

getdunne
KVRist
125 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:31 pm

@bharris22

I'm so sorry for the confusion; it's our fault. At this point, yes, I would recommend just uninstalling and starting again with the new v1.0.9 installer.

One clarification: the installer doesn't ask you to locate any .guru files. Unify does, the first time you run it. There's a small chance v1.0.9 might not (due to Unify having been installed previously and some data files remaining). If so, either drag-and-drop the Unify Factory Content.guru file over the Unify window, or (if drag/drop doesn't work--a few PC users have reported this), click the "gear" icon to get to the Settings view and click the "Select .guru file..." button. Either way, you should get a pop-up asking if you want to install the new content; click OK.

bharris22
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Got it - thanks! Looks like I was just lucky to install Unify during the transition between versions.

I'll try this and hopefully all will go smoothly :).

trusampler
KVRian
1046 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Do you mind to share some plans for the UI ? I feel like some of the commands, are far too spaced out. It makes it harder to work in it vs. some other hosts I own, yet there's something a bit more special with Unify, as I feel it has the potential to be great.
For instance if I want to delete a layer, I have to go to the right side of Unify, but to add a layer, I'm all the way on the left side.

I'd prefer to keep simple commands that I use often close. Right click commands are also sorely needed as well.. Workflow is King.

Just curious if there's anything on the newer UI , you care to mention?
Cpu: Win10/2015 Mac Pro i7@4.3ghz/SSDs
Tools: Slate VMS/Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core/Heritage Audio R.A.M.2000/API Lunchbox 6/Dyn Audio Bm5a MK2+Adam Audio
Powercore Virus B/Akai MPC Touch/Korg Wavestate/Komplete Kontrol MK2/Samples/Vst

Musical Gym
KVRAF
5204 posts since 24 May, 2004 from square1

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Last edited by Musical Gym on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrMEM
KVRist
241 posts since 6 Aug, 2017

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:22 pm

Pretty sure I heard them say they would extend the intro period if there were important bugs/issues that would take a while to fix, and they hoped to get the demo out during the intro period. So far they've been consistent.

getdunne
KVRist

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am

trusampler wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:35 pm
Do you mind to share some plans for the UI ? I feel like some of the commands, are far too spaced out. It makes it harder to work in it vs. some other hosts I own, yet there's something a bit more special with Unify, as I feel it has the potential to be great.
For instance if I want to delete a layer, I have to go to the right side of Unify, but to add a layer, I'm all the way on the left side.

I'd prefer to keep simple commands that I use often close. Right click commands are also sorely needed as well.. Workflow is King.

Just curious if there's anything on the newer UI , you care to mention?
I hear you. We hope to improve our UI/workflow over time, but there are no changes yet. v1.0.9 has a few very small changes to support people who install the free Demo and then the full version.

bharris22
KVRAF

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

One question that I assume has been asked and answered, but I don't have time to go through the 30+ pages of this thread to find . . . . on Windows, will the VST2 version of Unify load VST3 plugins?

zzz00m
KVRAF
2066 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:44 pm

bharris22 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm
One question that I assume has been asked and answered, but I don't have time to go through the 30+ pages of this thread to find . . . . on Windows, will the VST2 version of Unify load VST3 plugins?
The answer, based on the demo version is ... YES!
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

bharris22
KVRAF

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Nice - thank you!

yellowmix
KVRAF
1561 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks! And thanks to whoever added it to the video description.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRian
639 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm

FYI - Chrome is not letting me download the latest Windows unify zip file warning "it may be dangerous so Chrome has blocked it".
Edge downloaded it fine.

getdunne
KVRist

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm
FYI - Chrome is not letting me download the latest Windows unify zip file warning "it may be dangerous so Chrome has blocked it".
Edge downloaded it fine.
This is mainly an issue with Chrome; see https://www.mobilegyaan.com/disable-goo ... -downloads.

We're working on getting a code-signing certificate for Windows (already have one for Mac). I think this will finally eliminate all these scary warnings.

bharris22
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:05 pm

I know that the plugin version of Unify is currently 64 bit only. Is the standalone version also 64 bit only?

zzz00m
KVRAF
2066 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:31 pm

The demo for Windows is Win64 only, and from the standard edition product description regarding the special access requirements for 32-bit plugins, I'd assume so:

"Requires Windows or Mac OS X 10.11 and later INCLUDING Catalina (32-Bit Plug-ins can be access with 3rd party applications (JBridge on the PC and 32 Lives on the Mac.)"
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Return to “Instruments”