New "Budget" Elektron Box - Model:Cycles

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone seen this? It's an FM version of their last box - https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/26/ele ... groovebox/
It looks like Model:Samples but uses a cut-down, dumbed down version of the Digitone engine. Same price, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A $299 hardware FM synth is very interesting to me . . . . I had thought that the Model:Samples was overpriced at $399 (especially as I have a Digitakt), but $299 is definitely a sweeter spot.

Agreed, looks good.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Monophonic only, or is it only the sequencers that are monophonic? If the sound is monophonic, that would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

A $299 hardware FM synth is very interesting to me
This looks more like elaborate drum machine rather than fully-blown FM synth. Nothing for sound designers, but may help creating more diverse and organic drum patterns. Much more than "tone" and "decay" found in 808, for instance.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The Model:Cycles is different enough from my other drum machines that I decided to place an order. It should arrive later this month.

Bought one from Thomann and it arrived a couple of days ago. I was surprised on how much I liked it.

Yeah, you could say it's dumbed down from Digitone - but that's like saying the Reface DX is a dumbed down DX7. It most certainly is. But that doesn't mean you have a painfully limited sound. It sounds good and have a wide palette of sounds. And the fact that this is FM without any menus or sub parameters - makes it very enjoyable to use. Workflow is excellent.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I really like the idea, feature-set and their implementation for both Cycles:xxx boxes, but the soap-like design throws me off enough to not ever consider getting any of them.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I can absolutely understand that. I felt that about the Samples model. But it's better in real life than in the pictures. But if you absolutely hate it - there are some people making quite cool overlays for it. So far just the Samples model - but I'm sure Cycles are coming soon.

I know lots of people have been bitching about Elektron leaving the advanced and so called "core" users left behind with their cheaper boxes, and while I can understand that - but at this point I am quite curious what a new high-end unit from Elektron would look like. The evolution from let's say the Octatrack to the Model-units is quite interesting. Sure. The old Elektron looks to be gone forever - but the new one is starting to look interesting.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”