Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just grab it!

projectdan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 pm Lion seems to be included in the latest PA any plugin for $29 voucher offer, seems too good to be true, maybe a mistake.
What’s your definition of any?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

projectdan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 pm Lion seems to be included in the latest PA any plugin for $29 voucher offer, seems too good to be true, maybe a mistake.
no all is $29 (without VAT)... and you get 2 vouchers.. i have enough.. but you are always tempted, so searched, add to cart, yes everything $29. normal PA sale, or normal... o yes, didn't buy it, after thinking. i have enough!...

(i bought LION, when it came out, so i paid more... but i use it a lot.. so.. but this price can't be beaten..)

projectdan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 pmLion seems to be included in the latest PA any plugin for $29 voucher offer, seems too good to be true, maybe a mistake.
Why? This offer is valid for ANY plugin except for the most recent one, I think.

My 1st instinct was to get the most expensive ones, but then I came to my senses as I really don't hear much of a difference between compressors or EQs, so I settlet my sights on instruments instead :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:36 pm
What’s your definition of any?
there are is one exception: "The new FRIEDMAN Guitar Amps are not included in this promotion!"
so ANY plugin...

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 pm
projectdan wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 pmLion seems to be included in the latest PA any plugin for $29 voucher offer, seems too good to be true, maybe a mistake.
Why? This offer is valid for ANY plugin except for the most recent one, I think.

My 1st instinct was to get the most expensive ones, but then I came to my senses as I really don't hear much of a difference between compressors or EQs, so I settlet my sights on instruments instead :)
Same here, I have so many compressors and EQ's and they all do more or less the same thing according to my untrained ears.

Oberhausen doesn't interest me much since I have the Arturia version (and countless other "virtual analog" synths), but LION looks quite interesting and unique. I don't have Phase Plant, which appears to be similar. I do own Zebra however so there might be some overlap... Still at only $29+VAT it looks like a great deal.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:46 pm...but LION looks quite interesting and unique. I don't have Phase Plant, which appears to be similar. I do own Zebra however so there might be some overlap...
I don't think LION is anything like PP or Zebra. If anything, there's more overlap between the latter 2, than any of them and LION. I mean with PP & Zebra you sort of need to have an idea what you want to achieve, whereas LION seems to be more of a "happy accident" synth, if that makes any sense ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 pm

As there was one exception I thought it might be a mistake to have it included. I just found it more surprising that such a recent synth was on such a heavy discount.

Just bought Lion, at this price, it's hard to resist:)
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm Just bought Lion, at this price, it's hard to resist:)
great synth! me like. very much. the LION! yeah! and for this price...

WasteLand wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:18 pm
Whywhy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm Just bought Lion, at this price, it's hard to resist:)
great synth! me like. very much. the LION! yeah! and for this price...
Just do it! :tu:

Signed up to PA two days ago to get SpecOps for $49. Will bag Lion later this day. I'm happy.

Nice deal, get it!

Just tried it and wow great and rather unique sounding, fun to play with and lots of creative exploring available. Definitely going to purchase

I'm tempted to get it at 29$ but I can't help but shake the feeling everything Unfiltered Audio touches is half-assed. I've got Byome and Triad.. those, while great in potential have some silly drawbacks. For instance, why is the max speed of the LFO 16th notes when synced to tempo? Like.. wtf? Then there is the whole userinterface which is in my opinion quite horrible for such a wannabe modular approach.

Then LION, while seemingly great on paper, has quite a few weaknesses. The filters definitely do not sound all that good.. lagging way behind virtually all the competition on the planet (of course, this is purely subjective). Again, same problems with the LFO and the UI.. even more problematic here as one actually might need a properly larger and easier to read UI for all the elements.

LFO can of course be run through a Logic Mix module and with a duplicate at 50% phase you can get what you need. Most things can be clobbered together with some math/logic modules but it's such a waste for so simple things.

Yeah.. I don't know. At 29$ I might get it as a little distraction but I feel like there isn't much here that couldn't be sort of mimiced with other options and with far better usability.

CPU usage is also not great at all considering the sound quality. Also, oversampling drastically changes the tonality of some modules.

Hmm.. I'll probably feel like I wasted 29$ if I get this and I'll probably feel like I missed a great deal if I don't. Sigh. :?

EDIT: Man, there are so many things missing from this synth that it isn't even funny. I'd like a lot more modifier modules for the modulators. How do I quickly create a controlled and stepped Saw LFO? There's no quantization module for the controller signals. There's no mapping module where I can twist and remap modulation data.

In short: This is surprisingly a lot more simplistic than I thought it would be.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”