Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

baconpaul wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm On the first, I added that as an issue to our 1.6.6 milestone. I'll look this spring. You can track our progress here. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1548

On the second, Surge already oversamples internally, with a 2x option on at all times. If you look in the source for BLOCK_SIZE_OS vs BLOCK_SIZE you can see where it switches back and forth.

Thanks!
Many thanks!

baconpaul wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm On the second, Surge already oversamples internally, with a 2x option on at all times. If you look in the source for BLOCK_SIZE_OS vs BLOCK_SIZE you can see where it switches back and forth.
Ok, then I would like to request an option for 4x oversampling :hihi: Because Surge actually sounds very good (better) on high end frequencies, if I set my DAW samplerate to unusual 96kHz instead 48kHz. It somehow sounds finer, resolved finer. It's quite easily audible, if you filtersweep at high frequencies over a sawtooth, which a bit resonance. Sounds like the "teeth" of the sawtooth then are more fine defined.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:53 pm
baconpaul wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm On the second, Surge already oversamples internally, with a 2x option on at all times. If you look in the source for BLOCK_SIZE_OS vs BLOCK_SIZE you can see where it switches back and forth.
Ok, then I would like to request an option for 4x oversampling :hihi: Because Surge actually sounds very good (better) on high end frequencies, if I set my DAW samplerate to unusual 96kHz instead 48kHz. It somehow sounds finer, resolved finer. It's quite easily audible, if you filtersweep at high frequencies over a sawtooth, which a bit resonance. Sounds like the "teeth" of the sawtooth then are more fine defined.
Unfortunately for your request (but helping the performance in some ways) the Over sampling is a compile time option that sizes all the internal data structures. So with this request, alas, the answer will be “not without more work than I can imagine anyone doing”. Or alternately “not without 4x being the default for everyone with the associated cpu impact (assuming the synth would work if we moved it from 2’to 4 which I’ve never tried)”

the download file seems to be infected with 'win32:mdeclass virus, anyone else getting this problem?

It's a false positive. Just turn off your antivirus before downloading or whitelist the file.

thought so Evildragon, big thanks :D

baconpaul wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:42 pm Hi

We are happy to release Surge 1.6.5 today. As normal you can grab it at

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/

1.6.5 includes a load of changes to the tuning implementation, a bunch of fixes and features in the VST3, new content, modulation enhancements, MPE fixes, UI and workflow improvements, bug fixes, and more. https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/ details all the new stuff.

We recommend everyone upgrade to 1.6.5; and at this point also encourage you to use the VST3 over the VST2 version.

Finally, the synth keeps improving because of thoughtful code, contributions, testing and feedback from the community. If you have an idea for surge or find a bug, please reach out to the team via our GitHub, slack, or other social media places. And especially if you are a windows C++ developer with virtual instrument experience looking for a cool open source project, we could use some help on a couple of things.

We hope you enjoy making music with Surge! Have fun!
Thank You

Hi!

Today we released Surge 1.6.6. This release fixes a few bugs we found in some tuning edge cases, a couple of DSP errors which have been in the synth for a long time, adds a couple of features, and fixes some serious bugs in the LV2 implementation. We recommend all users upgrade. You can grab the synth and read the full changelog at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/.

We decided to do a release so close to 1.6.5 since the group of us at the surge synth team are going to refocus on a couple of bigger issues in surge, including trying an attempt at a skinning engine for UI designers. So 1.6.6 is probably the last release in the 1.6 family, and the next thing you’ll see is probably 1.7 betas. The team is also working on a few other open source ideas too, so we expect to have some good stuff coming soon outside of just the surge plugin. But it will be a bit before we are ready for a production release of anything, so a 1.6.6 line in the sand seemed prudent.

Hope you enjoy making music with Surge! As always new issues on our GitHub or comments in our slack are the best way to give us ideas and bug reports. And if you want to join the surge synth team, we are always looking for developers (especially windows C++ developers), ideas, and friendly people!

Once again thanks for continuing the development of this wonderful synth.
rsp
sound sculptist

Wow, amazing how you keep improving on one of my favourite synths! More extreme stuff possible, fixing bugs and among them bugs that I thought stemmed from me doing something wrong or the DAW acting up. Love you good folks for your continued dedication to this wonderful charming little quirky beast. :D :clap:

Gone soft wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:31 pm Wow, amazing how you keep improving on one of my favourite synths! More extreme stuff possible, fixing bugs and among them bugs that I thought stemmed from me doing something wrong or the DAW acting up. Love you good folks for your continued dedication to this wonderful charming little quirky beast. :D :clap:
+1000 :clap: :clap:
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Thanks all!

Thanks for the update

I just notice all parameter names between Scene A and B are the same, eg : there are two AEG Attack names, etc.

kinwie wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:12 pm Thanks for the update

I just notice all parameter names between Scene A and B are the same, eg : there are two AEG Attack names, etc.
Which flavor of plugin are you using? Thanks!

baconpaul wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:12 pm

Which flavor of plugin are you using? Thanks!
1.6.5, few days ago when i was working on my laptop. Without midi controller, i was going to automate the attack and release then notice that.
Sorry for the late report
I just check v1.6.6 last night, it's the same though

Return to “Instruments”