Reason 11 announced!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

I'm curious about the new drum thingy they added in the latest update...any thoughts?

hotmitts wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:34 am I'm curious about the new drum thingy they added in the latest update...any thoughts?
I'm a huge fan of randomness with control, and this is precisely that. Once you dig into it a bit you'll hit the 'I got it!' moment and opens up all kinds of possibilities, the way doubling works, midi assignments, just a ton of cool useful stuff you can do. The map thing is a bit odd, seems to me one map with discrete sections of layers would be ideal for the majority.

Regardless, it's the most useful 'player' in the entire rack plus some to me.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:38 am
I'm a huge fan of randomness with control, and this is precisely that.
Actually, that's exactly wrong-- BeatMap isn't 'random' at all. The map accesses preset patterns. It feels random because there is so many of them, and each type of drum (of the 4 total) can be 'pinned' to a pattern/map area, while the others can be changed (or pinned to other areas).

But, in short, and this is confirmed by the product video itself, there is nothing random about it. It's just an interesting way of finding and choosing patterns from a giant, somewhat 'hidden' collection of patterns. It 'feels' random because of the presentation and methodology, where you just slide the cursor around the map and everything changes as you go. But behind the scenes, there's no randomization at all.

mholloway wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:46 am
Psuper wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:38 am
I'm a huge fan of randomness with control, and this is precisely that.
Actually, that's exactly wrong-- BeatMap isn't 'random' at all. The map accesses preset patterns. It feels random because there is so many of them, and each type of drum (of the 4 total) can be 'pinned' to a pattern/map area, while the others can be changed (or pinned to other areas).

But, in short, and this is confirmed by the product video itself, there is nothing random about it. It's just an interesting way of finding and choosing patterns from a giant, somewhat 'hidden' collection of patterns. It 'feels' random because of the presentation and methodology, where you just slide the cursor around the map and everything changes as you go. But behind the scenes, there's no randomization at all.
I said 'randomness with control', not randomness. As I mentioned 'one map with discrete sections of layers would be ideal for the majority' should have clued you in if you actually understand the app and how the maps work at all.
Have you tried Vital?

They do make it sound like random generation in the blurb, seems to mention 'Algorithms' a lot...
So it's more that it's random in the way it selects patterns- you don't know quite what you're going to get -
Anyway sounds like a valid tool in itself. Wonder if there's a way of copying the MIDI to track to use with other drum instruments ? Or as with other players it can hook onto whatever instrument you choose ? Or..not !

hotmitts wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:46 am They do make it sound like random generation in the blurb, seems to mention 'Algorithms' a lot...
So it's more that it's random in the way it selects patterns- you don't know quite what you're going to get -
Anyway sounds like a valid tool in itself. Wonder if there's a way of copying the MIDI to track to use with other drum instruments ? Or as with other players it can hook onto whatever instrument you choose ? Or..not !
Yes, you can hook it up to anything you want. Whether in Reason standalone or inside any other DAW using any other plugin you’re using (except Pro Tools, as they haven’t released an AAX version yet). MIDI out (in the VST plugin rack) was the whole point of the 11.2 release.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Thanks Enoch - might have to do the next upgrade when it comes (always try and wait for every 3)

redrum2.jpg
redrum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Benutzername wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:44 pm redrum2.jpgredrum.jpg
It's been a long time since I've seen 3D renders of classic Reason devices. Nice work!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Thanks, it was a rainy Sunday afternoon project I did some years ago. I just found them again and decided to share them.

Just purchased reason 11 full. I am unable to use europa outside of the rack. I thought it was released as a standalone vst with a resizeable gui a while ago.

The rack's gui is so small that it is almost unusable for me.

noxxle_ wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm Just purchased reason 11 full. I am unable to use europa outside of the rack. I thought it was released as a standalone vst with a resizeable gui a while ago.
No, the VST is discontinued.
noxxle_ wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm The rack's gui is so small that it is almost unusable for me.
Which DAW are you using Rack Plugin in?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

noxxle_ wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm Just purchased reason 11 full. I am unable to use europa outside of the rack. I thought it was released as a standalone vst with a resizeable gui a while ago.
Europa VST has been discontinued after Release of R11. Before it was either sold separately (€149 iirc) or freebie for R10 customers and automatically added to the user account.

Benutzername wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:44 pm redrum2.jpgredrum.jpg
Very nice! :)

Psuper wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:56 am

I said 'randomness with control', not randomness. As I mentioned 'one map with discrete sections of layers would be ideal for the majority' should have clued you in if you actually understand the app and how the maps work at all.
"Randomness with control" would still mean some sort of randomness, of which there is none, so you were wrong, because you apparently just didn't get it - as usual. And as as usual you nonetheless head for the high road, accusing others (i.e. those who are VASTLY more knowledgeable than you regading the topic in question) of not having a clue. Oh the irony.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”