Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Yeah we renamed a lot of them in 166 but missed that one. I’ll add an issue and we can get it right in 1.7

I use the au and that groups them by scene but the vst2 and 3 don’t. If you want to automate though they all send automation messages so you can just latch mode and wiggle to find the one you want

Great! Thank you

Hi,
I have the problem with Surge 1.6 I cannot create a new folder in the Wavetables folder. I have many wavetable banks but they are not recognized. With "open Wavetables" I can load them but no new folder appears in the browser. I have copied one of the wavetables created with Audioterm into an existing folder. This wavetable also does not appear in the browser.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

hi! another comment for surge. i have tried to open it in unify - that was Ok.
but when I changed the zoom level to bigger,
it jumped back to original size.(then the gui controls didn't react normal).
dunno if it is a surge thing, or unify thing, plus i have to mention this was inside Reaper 6 on win10.

PietW. wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 am Hi,
I have the problem with Surge 1.6 I cannot create a new folder in the Wavetables folder. I have many wavetable banks but they are not recognized. With "open Wavetables" I can load them but no new folder appears in the browser. I have copied one of the wavetables created with Audioterm into an existing folder. This wavetable also does not appear in the browser.
Go to menu / data / open user data folder or some
Such
Put them there. Should be documents\surge as appropriate on your os
Then do menu / data / rescan

And if the files have extension .wt or .wav they should show up

dune_rave wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:34 am hi! another comment for surge. i have tried to open it in unify - that was Ok.
dunno if it is a surge thing, or unify thing, plus i have to mention this was inside Reaper 6 on win10.
What is unify?

Are you using vst2 or 3? 32 or 64 bit?

We have no problem using the plugin in reaper 6 all platforms all flavors - one of the most reliable hosts there is it seems - so unify seems to be the variable causing your problem.

Sorry I'm late to the party but I just have to say this.
I think Surge is one of the most impressive free synths out there. To persuade an old codger like me to put down his analogue emulations for five minutes and enjoy something unashamedly digital takes little more than a miracle. I came across vst synths at a time when the only open source synths I could find were ZynAddSubFX which only shipped with LMMS at the time and a rather bad Juno emulation. Now some of the greatest digital synths are open source and this is one of them (the best IMO)
Big thanks for this Vember Audio! :)

baconpaul wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:41 pm
dune_rave wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:34 am hi! another comment for surge. i have tried to open it in unify - that was Ok.
What is unify?

Are you using vst2 or 3? 32 or 64 bit?

We have no problem using the plugin in reaper 6 all platforms all flavors - one of the most reliable hosts there is it seems - so unify seems to be the variable causing your problem.
Unify is just a great new tool - a plugin to combine differeent plugins into a new sound.
(video - https://youtu.be/gibCZbHIQM8 )
I used surge vst2, 64bit.
Anyway, Surge works in unify, only the zoom is problematic.

Zoom is still an issue for me in Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I already downloaded the latest version of Surge (VST2) and Cakewalk.

baconpaul wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm
PietW. wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 am Hi,
Go to menu / data / open user data folder or some
Such
Put them there. Should be documents\surge as appropriate on your os
Then do menu / data / rescan

And if the files have extension .wt or .wav they should show up
It works perfectly.
Thanks a Lot. :-)

Kind regards
Piet
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Examigan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:58 pm Zoom is still an issue for me in Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I already downloaded the latest version of Surge (VST2) and Cakewalk.
Can you try VST3 version?

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:10 am
Examigan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:58 pm Zoom is still an issue for me in Cakewalk by Bandlab, and I already downloaded the latest version of Surge (VST2) and Cakewalk.
Can you try VST3 version?
That's strange that I never did try that one, and... it works! Thanks :)

Is there a reason VST2 doesn't resize correctly? Just curious, as I have other VST2 versions of plugins that resize correctly.

Baconpaul will be able to answer that question better, but yes for sure there is a reason for that.

In any case, as far as Surge is concerned, VST3 version is actually recommended one to use.

I will use that version from now on, thanks. 8)

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:41 pm Baconpaul will be able to answer that question better, but yes for sure there is a reason for that.

In any case, as far as Surge is concerned, VST3 version is actually recommended one to use.
I am glad the VST3 works!

The short version is “VST2 doesn’t really really have a zoom API and the particular hack I chose to make it work is not the hack that those other plugins used; but those other plugins are closed source so I don’t know what that hack is; and the VST3 works fine anyway so I stopped debugging it” :)

The longer version is code in our github and if someone really cares about the vst2 zoom issue I can point em at the code.

Return to “Instruments”