Novation SL MK3 - The Itch! What do you say?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

marcora wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:41 am In addition to the limitations of the sequencer in terms of number of patterns and steps per pattern, I am baffled by the fact that there are only two pages of controllers (for the knobs, faders and button) that can be access using the up/down arrow buttons. There should be unlimited number of pages available, as in NI Maschine or Komplete Kontrol. MIDI information and controller mappings don't take Gb of memory to store on the device. While hardware limitations are understandable, software-imposed limitations like this one are hard to swallow at this price point.
Yeah. That don't really make any sense.
Let's see what kind of updates it will get in the future.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I also agree that it doesn't make sense. On the one hand, I usually don't like too many parameters.

On the Daw side, there seems to be no limit to the number of banks you can have. Something like Bazille has hundreds of parameters, but I really don't want to expose and page through all of them most of the time. I usually want a subset of things I like to tweak the most.

I haven't yet hooked up my Juno 106, but the limit shouldn't be a problem at all. It's simple hardware.

I usually dislike any limitation, but a lot of the time, it's pretty easy to live with some limitations.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

Am curious if anyone is using their SL MK3 along with an iConnectMIDI4+ (krankyone?)? I recently picked up a SL MK3.. and am going through the process of hooking it up to stuff. I recently moved, and havent had my iConnectMIDI4+ hooked back up yet. Am finding - I've routed my hardware directly to the SL MK3... wondering what I am missing out, without connecting the iCM4+ now? With the exception of an iPad - im getting the routing I was doing with the iConnectivity device, using the SL MK3. Before i sell the iCM4+ . . . wondering if there is something other than routing my iPad through it.. that I'm missing?

Thanks for resurrecting the thread :)

How are things going in SL mk3 land? Your units are getting updates?

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I am still learning my way around the SL MKIII - so there may be stuff I don’t completely have correct in this mini-writeup, but it feels like it’s not a bad idea, since there is a little misunderstanding in this thread.

- the keyboard does indeed have aftertouch. It’s ‘channel’ aftertouch, but has a decent feel in my opinion. The pads support polyphonic aftertouch.
- the step sequencer is a lot more capable than most folks understand. Each song (session in SL MKIII speak) supports 8 parts. Each part can have 8 sequences.. So each saved song/session - can have 64 patterns. I am still working my way through this . . but suspect, once I get comfortable moving around - it will be easier. There are plenty of vids showing different folk moving around with the sequencer - in it’s different modes.
- setting up MIDI CC mapping for gear, is done through a SL MKIII “template”. It would be nice if there was an automap feature (it’s possible there is- and I’ve missed it). It would be even nicer - if it was possible to put the controller into ‘learn’ mode, and map that way. There isn’t. So - setting up hardware mapping is manual. That said - here are a couple of important things about that. 1) The SL MKIII comes with a bunch of pre-configured mappings. For me - that meant, I didn’t have to map an OB-6, Peak, or BigSky reverb. I DID have to map a JD-XA and FA-06, and some soft synths. It took me, about a 1/2 hour to get my JD-XA mapped. 2) Each of the templates can contain a custom configuration for 16 encoders, 16 buttons, 8 faders, 16 pressure sensitive pads, the mod wheel and three hardware pedals. That’s ~ 60 mappable controls per hardware or software instrument. Personally - I don’t map every possible control to a controller-synth - so I haven’t come close to hitting the ceiling with this as a limitation. Neither for mapping for a live rig (I’ve been using an Axiom Pro and an Arturia ‘The Laboratory’ for a few years. For me - for live play - there are typically about 10 things (aside from transport control) that I want to use live. For the home studio.. I definitely want to map more… but even for the OB-6.. (my synth I want the most mapped control of)… that amounts to about 30 things I want mapped. Still not close to the ~60. So I doubt I’ll ever see the limitation. Maybe others though - have more elaborate needs. On the OB... I have already been used to reaching for it's controls, when there is an odd setting I need to set. If I find I am using it a bunch -- I'll map it. Again though - for me that is about 30 things. Way less than 60.
- Routing of my gear, has been dead easy. I am still working my way through the capabilities, and have only created a handful of templates - but it is fricken great. This is what I wanted the controller for. Since gear is pre-mapped to ‘templates’ - setting up ‘sessions’ or songs - is quick and easy. I created a template session, that has my synths (hardware and software) pre-connected/routed. They are already mapped via the templates, so it’s not necessary to prepare a session this way - but it is nice to have the DIN/Channel pre-defined. To setup a song/sequence - I copy a template. save as a new song - then dink around with setting up layers, splits, and patch selection. You can store 64 of these on the device - and can offload groups - if you run out. On top of these settings - you define the sequences. You can map sessions to the controller - and it's an instant cutover, so it's possible to utilize multiple sessions for a single song.

Again - I am still working my way through the manual, and learning stuff. There are a couple of fantastic tutorials out there, which went through the setup stuff I needed. I am now trying to figure out how to use my iConnectMIDI4+ for more than just a way of integrating iOS (iPad) synths. ( the SL MKIII does all the mapping I was getting in the iCM4+, a LOT easier, and more conveniently) so there is huge overlap. iConnectivity is really going to have to step up their game. Anyway - hopefully this wasn’t too inaccurate. Your mileage may vary, yadda yadda .. . .

Joe

I have the Mk II. I wouldn't need all the bells and whistles, and with today's VST's, the functions seem redundant. The price is about €200 more than what I paid for the Mk II, as well.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

DrGonzo wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 am Thanks for resurrecting the thread :)

How are things going in SL mk3 land? Your units are getting updates?

/C
Meanwhile, full Bitwig support is available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIpemqOpg1M

Hi , could anyone post a quick photo of underside of the Novation SLMK3 . Would really help. Will explain after :)
Thanks in advance

Are you after the serial number?

Hi ... no.. Novation said my warranty is void as I removed back panel. I didnt and they sent photos which dont even look like an sl mk3 so i wanted a photo of another to compare.

rgds

Just to ask , Does this look like any part of SL MK3. The black panel at the top and lack of rubber pads underneath
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikeemike wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:38 am Just to ask , Does this look like any part of SL MK3. The black panel at the top and lack of rubber pads underneath
No, looks totally different. The original bottom has colored rubber and is also not flat.

It definitely looks like it was opened though. :D

Seems odd though. Why would Novation do that? (Their support is excellent, by the way) Are you sure you have the SL mk3, and not a mk2?

No it is a MK3. I just powered up one afternoon and nothing.. No LEDs / Displays at all. I (being honest and admit) took off green rubber strips to see if was easy to open and change a fuse. Was honest when returned and said that. but %100 no way I caused that damage and simply does not look like a MK3 from photo. No idea what blacked out shape is either. Was happy to pay for repair as I understand I removed things but super expensive (for main board??) and not answer as to how it might have happened. Asking for keyboard back now want to see how photos match my keyboard.

Here is another photo... Also with an odd (blanked out shape)..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”