Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:10 pm You should have bought the full version of Thorn !

It's one of the best synths on the planet :)
I haven't bought UA Lion just yet. :) I am not into EDM, so wondering if Thorn would still be good. I am demoing it and loving most of the sounds though. UA Lion's sound is more suitable for the genres I like to work in for major part compared to Thorn, but only has few interesting presets.

So, I wonder which one to get now. Do these plugins go on sale often? If so, which one the most? Perhaps that will help to decide.

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:10 pm You should have bought the full version of Thorn !

I liked this :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 pm I am not into EDM, so wondering if Thorn would still be good. I am demoing it and loving most of the sounds though. UA Lion's sound is more suitable for the genres I like to work in for major part compared to Thorn, but only has few interesting presets.

So, I wonder which one to get now. Do these plugins go on sale often? If so, which one the most? Perhaps that will help to decide.
I don't know anything about Lion, but I don't make [much] EDM and I think Thorn is a very useful addition to my synth collection. It's quite easy to use, and encourages you to turn a knob or two. I think Thorn is and will be very useful to my dance songs (techno, house, electro, tech-house). I've not had Thorn for long but I am very confident about Thorn's abilitys and suitability for my songs.

^ I've never seen them on offer at this level before ($29), Thorn is actually on sale at the moment at $69. I only have ThornCM and find it a very useful synth for many styles, I demo'ed the full version and it didn't really add much to how I use it now (the extra osc sounds great but just not into those big sounds I guess). I liked the GUI and everything of Lion but found it all a bit over the top for my needs.

Thanks guys. I will take a few hours to decide.

Been extended hasn't it ? The sale that is

Yes, until March 3 I think.

Thorn can be almost anything you want it to be...

I don't know why it was marketed as an aggressive EDM synth,because it is so much more than that...

It's a spectral synthesizer with the most beautiful clean, crystalline sounds that you could ever imagine...

It can also do the "analog thing" really well....

But if you crank up the drive on the filters and ramp a few things up,it can become really nasty !

If you are playing sounds in isolation and evaluating any synth in that context,you've missed the point anyway :wink:

How does Thorn sound in the mix ?

Super special :tu:
No auto tune...

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 pm

I haven't bought UA Lion just yet. :) I am not into EDM, so wondering if Thorn would still be good. I am demoing it and loving most of the sounds though. UA Lion's sound is more suitable for the genres I like to work in for major part compared to Thorn, but only has few interesting presets.

I think Thorn is a stunning synth, and I am no EDM-producer. It's got a sound that can easily be pushed to really aggressive. However, it still has the ability to really cut through a mix even when looking for more general synth sounds.

The plucks and leads are unlike I've ever heard from any other synth. Special Sauce, indeed!

Just demo it. You'll know, one way or another in under two minutes :shrug:

GaryG wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:32 pm ^ I've never seen them on offer at this level before ($29), Thorn is actually on sale at the moment at $69. I only have ThornCM and find it a very useful synth for many styles, I demo'ed the full version and it didn't really add much to how I use it now (the extra osc sounds great but just not into those big sounds I guess). I liked the GUI and everything of Lion but found it all a bit over the top for my needs.
At $29 you get more presets, ongoing compatibility, and the ability to upgrade when newer versions hit. Those were the justifications I used to upgrade from CM, and that felt like a steal even at $45 :shrug:

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:13 pm Thorn can be almost anything you want it to be...

I don't know why it was marketed as an aggressive EDM synth,because it is so much more than that...

It's a spectral synthesizer with the most beautiful clean, crystalline sounds that you could ever imagine...

But if you crank up the drive on the filters and ramp a few things up,it can become really nasty !

If you are playing sounds in isolation and evaluating any synth in that context,you've missed the point anyway :wink:

Thanks for your inputs. I can completely agree with your comments on its sound are demoing Thorn. It can definitely do a lot more than just EDM sounds. The drive on filters is amazing and so is the harmonic filter. Also, the GUI layout is easy on eyes compared to Lion.

Looks like I will get Thorn this time around. :)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:22 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 pm

I think Thorn is a stunning synth, and I am no EDM-producer. It's got a sound that can easily be pushed to really aggressive. However, it still has the ability to really cut through a mix even when looking for more general synth sounds.

The plucks and leads are unlike I've ever heard from any other synth. Special Sauce, indeed!

Just demo it. You'll know, one way or another in under two minutes :shrug:
Thank you, appreciate your comments. I haven't tried it in a mix yet, but just by listening I can agree that it will cut through the mix excellently.

I think I am going with Thorn in the next few mins. Got DS Thorn. :tu:
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellent deal for either. If someone is on the fence, you really can't go wrong for these prices.

I think Thorn is phenomenal. I bought it for cheap on the last sale.

UA Lion is good, I bought it too. I don't really use it though. I do think it's good but when you have 200 synths eventually some go down in uses.

Thorn is actually something I use very, very often. I had Thorn CM and though screw it, I'll buy it. I like having the full capabilities of the synth. I do think CM does most of the same stuff but I don't remember.

Honestly I'd just say buy Thorn and use it. It's one of the best synths out there.

Only thing I'd say is I wish it had more sources or "wavetables" or whatever. It seems a tad lacking in that regard.

Once you figure out how to use it it's definitely one of the best synths you'll have. I use it more than Hive or really anything else now because it's fast and it sounds interesting.

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:13 pm Thorn can be almost anything you want it to be...

the workflow is also a big part of it for me. the fact that it sounds good AND has a fast and reliable workflow makes it a definite go to.

you just know that it's a reliable, trustworthy serious synthesizer. it's very well made.

Return to “Instruments”