Love SE-02. Thinking about PEAK…

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, please don't eat me for asking:

What's your opinion about swapping an SE-02 for a Novation Peak? I know, of course, they are two very different synths with very (!) different use-cases in mind… So, if someone would ask me the very same question above, I might raise an eyebrow or two as well…

I love how the SE-02 sounds (love the sound of the Mother-32, Model-D, Poly-D, the original Minimoog, etc…), but also really enjoy sound-design with more options (love Nord Modulars, but also VSTi's like Arturia Pigments…) like the Peak which I read and heard lots of good things about. I guess I like those FPGA/OSC (res, drift-option e.g.), the interface, Audio-Rate mod, FM-capabilities, and even also the filter…

Basic question, would I be able to reproduce some of the SE-02 with the Peak? Or are they simply beyond any reasonable comparison?

Would love some opinion.

Thx.

They have quite different sound characteristics. But of course, with the Peak, you’re getting a whole lot more synth.

I would be impressed if it were a straight swap. I seem to recall the Peak being considerably more expensive.

Thinking about it, three units of SE-02's would be nice as well! Yes, the peak is a lot more expensive. Bottom line… sound is beyond reasonable comparison?! Both can sound fantastic, but different.

This video might be informative:
A Brief Synth Comparison - Novation Peak / Roland JD-XA / Behringer DeepMind / Model D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VPSMq5uuc

Basically, he compares his favourite patch from a Model D and tries to recreate it with the other synths (SE-02 is similar to a Model D). I think the Peak nails it.
<List your stupid gear here>

Love that! Thank you so much. Love the sound of the Model-D here, very musical while the Peak's filter simply sounds a tad different. But still… same feeling here + In context the difference won't actually matter that much, I think…

SE-02 owner here. Don’t sell it if you can afford to keep it and get a poly.

I considered a Peak, tried it out, listened in person and online. It’s very nice. Very precise as well, often requiring diving into menus a level or two to add modulation and character a fully analog synth already has. If you’re gonna swap out the SE-02 and want to level up with another mono, that’d be the Pro3.

The Sequential Rev2 would be the direct alternative to the Peak. Try that one out, too. I personally would’ve bought the Korg XD rather than the Peak.

I wasn’t happy with the poly analog sounds until I listened to an OB-6. And bought one two months later.

That said, if you really want the Moog D sound, the SE-02 isn’t the best choice.

I would not exchange a mono for a poly and even less given how different these two are.
dedication to flying

Keep SE-02, save up, get Summit instead of Peak. Provided you have room for a 5 octave board, of course.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 am Keep SE-02
Definitely this part!

I’ve got a Peak. I like it, but anyone who thinks that they can get close to what the SE-02 can do is deluded. On a very shallow level, sure, but the character of the SE-02 is just too different. It’s not just the filter and oscillators. The envelopes and the general gain staging of the synths couldn’t be further apart.

That said, I like the Peak and I especially like it for leads. It has a way of cutting though like a laser. I didn’t get a SE-02 because I already have a Studio Electronics ATC-X, which has their Moog, SEM, ARP and 303 filters on board. It’s a monster and has the fattest oscillators of any synth that I own. In comparison, the Peak’s oscillators sound exactly like what they are, computer generated. I don’t say that as a slight. It’s just a totally different vibe, and no amount of divergence dialed in can help. I think you’d miss the SE-02 if you gave it up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Forgotten wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:55 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:29 am Keep SE-02
Definitely this part!
Absolutely this part!

Actually I have a better idea. SE-02 has those annoyingly small knobs, so get Model D for some properly sized knobs instead. Or even Poly D for extra beef and sequencer. :)

With the Model D, you'd give up oscillator sync, PWM, cross mod, patch memories and a bunch of other things, though.

But get a more authentic Mini sound. I guess depends what you really want.

Interestingly, some retailers are now offering the Peak at a modest discount from its list price (possibly because the Summit has now been released?). Makes it more tempting to me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”