One Synth Challenge #133: Cheeze Machine 2 by 2getheraudio (z.prime Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am guessing, if one would run a chord of deep notes through a highpass filter, it could produce something close enough to noise to be useful for percussion. I'm not a big fan of this approach since it wouldn't be remotely possible without an external highpass filter. That being said, I'm highpassing a lot, too, to reduce annoying klicking on low-attack sounds.

No drums? Guess I didn't get that memo. 8)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbf0gk2566exo ... e.mp3?dl=0

But seriously. I LOVE a limited synth for pushing creativity.

jasinski wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 am But seriously. I LOVE a limited synth for pushing creativity.
True. :D
jasinski wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:05 am No drums? Guess I didn't get that memo.
Good job. I'm looking forward to that 8)

Well, cranking distortion, filtering it in post like hell, well... it works, but does it still sort of live in the world of "the rules", because it is quite easy to squeeze drums out of anything, but... :hihi: :shrug:
I'm doing a bit of automation on the OSC pitch, which works somewhat ok, but only heavy treatment after can bring any degree of consistency into the drums, especially the kick.
I must say, though, this is one of the few synths that are perfectly named, hahaha. :hihi: ...dang it does sound cheesy.
There are how ever at least some presets that puzzle me greatly. The User preset that has a quint in it, but it's not to be seen in either parameter... what's the magic there? I checked for generic parameters and didn't see any hidden secret. :shrug: ...feels like there are some, though.

Here's my go at it. The snare is 2 instances, while one of them plays 3 notes, creating a noise like buzz:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/cheezedrums001/s-SjPZh

Nice kick and snare Taron :tu:

Taron wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm There are how ever at least some presets that puzzle me greatly. The User preset that has a quint in it, but it's not to be seen in either parameter... what's the magic there? I checked for generic parameters and didn't see any hidden secret. :shrug: ...feels like there are some, though.
Hi, Taron! I think the Pro version is based on the same engine as CM2, but gives access to more settings. Thus, presets programmed in the Pro version could sound in CM2, but could not be made in it from init. :shrug:

I'm glad to see you here again! :hug: And, Oh my... these are the drums that you and Jasinski made... I can't get anywhere near them! :o I hope that someday there will be a challenge with drum-synth, from which you will need to get melodic sounds, then everything will turn upside down... :ud: :lol:

P.S. Thank you all for motivating tracks at the beginning of the month! :clap:

Thanks, jas! ;)
Thanks, IV! :hug:
Well, you haven't been here for the Noisetar OSC, hahaha... :lol: :hihi: ...but it was awesome! :hyper: (check for "Archangel" in my SC tracks!)
Yeah, I thought I saw something regarding "pro" version. Sometimes it's funny, when the Light version almost acts like a deterrent or what that would be called. Based on what it is now, I would not exactly be thrilled for more, without wanting to be a bastard. But it just sort of ....hmmm... I would've picked other features to boost the attraction, I think. Currently it just feels like it's hard to control and that one could not expect to gain more control in a pro version. :shrug:
BUT this is literally the first day I'm seeing this and I spent like half an hour with it thus far. Maybe I will love it later in the month?! :ud: :lol:

You know, not like I need to add that, but this makes me realize that I should go through all the presets, see what they have to offer that has useful settings one cannot get to in this version. I imagine there is some stuff that lends itself to better drums....hmmm... kind of a fun hunt! :hyper:

There were very realistic drums! :clap: Judging by the name, the synthesizer was sharpened for noise sounds) However, I like Cheeze Machine 2 as a string machine, but the Pro version moves it towards synthesis, and there are much more good synthesizers than good string machines, so CM2 suits me completely without the prefix Pro. Maybe I'll just make a track without drums, like Carl Saved... :shrug:

That's a fun challenge all by itself. Go for it! :hyper:

IV! wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:27 pm Hi, Taron! I think the Pro version is based on the same engine as CM2, but gives access to more settings. Thus, presets programmed in the Pro version could sound in CM2, but could not be made in it from init. :shrug:
Ahh that explains a lot, thanks :D
zarf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:56 pm What's the deal with the 'pro preview' presets? All fair game? Some of them seem to have quite different sound to the main synth, and even though we can't fully edit those sounds, can we use them?
Hmm... where did you find them? Mine just shows a bunch of subcategories like factory/user, and then bess/brass/leads/...

Carl_saved wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:05 pm
zarf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:56 pm What's the deal with the 'pro preview' presets? All fair game? Some of them seem to have quite different sound to the main synth, and even though we can't fully edit those sounds, can we use them?
Hmm... where did you find them? Mine just shows a bunch of subcategories like factory/user, and then bess/brass/leads/...
It's a bit subtle and had me confused for a while.
They are all mixed in with the factory bank that you can see.
For example, if you go to 'Rupert Overtone Pad' - the last one in the Pads category, 2 things happen: 1) You get a sound that is very different to anything you can normally create (in this case, resonance for a start) and the UI changes slightly - in the middle at the top where there is the 'Cheeze Machine 2' logo, some extra text apprears on the right that says 'Pro Preview'.
I'm not sure how many there are, I've not explored properly yet. Still wondering the usual 'is it in the spirit of OSC to use this' question :D

I just discovered that 'Grand Vatel Bows' has a delay effect on it!

zarf wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:42 pm... wondering the usual 'is it in the spirit of OSC to use this' question :D
AB-SO-LUTELY! OSC is all about pushing a synth to it's bounds! If a synth can make that sound, it's fair game!

Return to “Instruments”