E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's an update on my system's status.

Day 1:
- Start up computer, everything fires up with no problems.
- Run computer all day, including multi-track recording in my DAW without a single hitch. Everything completely normal and stable.

Day 2:
- Start up computer, no audio device loaded, like E-MU isn't there. Seems Windows couldn't 'see' the hardware.
- Restart, everything comes on as normal. Run computer another full day with zero problems or abnormalities.

Day 3:
- Start up computer, no audio device loaded. (Here we go again.)
- Restart computer, freezes in the middle of Windows starting up. (This is not a good sign!)
- Hard restart, everything loads up completely normally again.
- Just for the fun of it, run CCleaner and clean up registry. Looks like there are some Creative Professional files there that needed fixing. Restart once more, everything normal.

So currently this issue seems to be consistently inconsistent. Stevee may be onto something, and I second his question:
Stevee wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:08 pm It seems as though the Windows installation eventually undos the work of the script and it reverts back to not working.

Has anyone managed to get the fix to be more reliable?
Unless/until I post again, assume that it's going to be this intermittent with my system. I will keep checking these threads for people's ideas, and I will be sure to update if anything changes on my end.

Edit:
I've implemented one extra step (Step 4) as suggested by Freddie Stjerna in the third post down on this page:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 13a?page=3

He says that after implementing sherwoodsound's procedure, do the following:

Step 4.

While you are inside in registry editor. Go to following new location.
1. Go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASIO\E-MU ASIO
2. Go to ---> “E-MU ASIO”. \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASIO\E-MU ASIO
3. As you can see another error inside the E-MU ASIO. In (Default) type “REG_SZ” has the wrong DATA-string “CTASIO”.
4. Right-click on "(Default) " and choose Modify
5. Modify and change to only: CTASIO64

Step 5.

1. Close registry editor and shut down your computer again and re-boot a “cold start”.”

(End quote)

After doing this, everything started up normally for me. Will report with an update again after running for some time.

Update on my system:

After performing the additional 4th step as suggested by Freddie Stjerna (see my previous post for more info), everything worked just fine for an entire day with no issues.

Now, the following day, I have just restarted 4 times in a row, but the hardware isn't being recognized this time. It appears as though I have no hardware installed, as had happened previously. Except unlike the previous times, restarting doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything now.

----

I will continue to follow this thread out of curiosity and a sliver of hope, but it looks like I'm about to starting plotting how to spend a bunch more money I wasn't planning to spend. Thanks Microsoft/Creative.

At the risk of sounding preachy, I want to take this moment to point out that technologically, there is absolutely nothing preventing the capability of these machines to function properly within a Windows 10 environment. (Most of us have been doing it a while.) It is only negligence and/or planned obsolescence from these companies that brings us to our current state. This phenomenon is a great example of why we keep filling landfills with junk. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where people actually valued and took care of what they have instead of endlessly disposing of otherwise valuable objects? I guess that wouldn't satisfy the shareholders.
Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. /End rant

Update on my system:

I've noticed that over the span of this troubleshooting (mis)adventure, my computer has frozen during Windows startup several times. This leads me to speculate that the issue is occurring when the system is initially checking for hardware, which could partially explain why it sometimes fails to 'see' the hardware.

Backing up from the E-MU specific issues, I'm seeing that E-MU users are far from the only ones experiencing problems with their audio devices and the new Windows update. It's been suggested by some here that Windows may be trying to install its own version of the drivers, hence the hangup. I found instructions for preventing Windows from automatically installing drivers for a particular device. (This is distinctly different from preventing ALL drivers from updating, as it only affects the devices you choose.) The instructions can be found here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to ... c-drivers/

I performed this procedure for all four of the E-MU drivers (simultaneously), and when I hit 'OK' on the final step, Patchmix restarted itself and during that process my computer froze again. I did a hard restart, and everything started up normally. Here's where it gets interesting... Once Windows and desktop were up and running again, the Patchmix software loaded by itself. Now your experience may vary, but on my end, ever since some Windows update a couple of years ago, I've had to manually click to open Patchmix when starting up my system. Yet, now it's opening by itself, like it used to (for years) before this whole issue began.

I have now cold booted the machine 4 times in a row, and everything appears to be running fine again, including the auto-load of Patchmix. It seems like a good sign... It may be my imagination, but startup seems slightly smoother/faster now too. Almost like Windows is skipping whatever step it was taking to try to grab control of the drivers on startup.

---

For review, I've done the following in this order:

1. Follow sherwoodsound's instructions, including 'optional' step of editing the registry. Note – I did have to edit the device name in the script to get it working. Please see my previous post on that.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=529349

2. Do one more registry edit as suggested by Freddy Stjerna (third post on this page, step 4 only):

3. Go through the procedure of preventing Windows from automatically updating the four E-MU drivers, as outlined in this guide:

---

All the signs are good for now. I will report back with an update one way or another.

What a great bit of info, thank you so much for this, as long as you follow how you have set it out, (i didnt) it worked perfectly once i put it all the files in the temp folder.

Hello,
Please help me. I have a problem after updating Windows 10 to version (1903) and running PachMix. In the attachment on the photo I want to show you what kind of mistake it is and I do not know how to solve it. Can you advise me what to do in that case ? It's urgent because it's stopped me from working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GREGOR ROS wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:07 am
Hi... Did you bother to read all this thread and apply the suggested fixes???

I've applied all the clues from this thread, and as you can see in my picture, this message continues to appear

toonertik wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:33 pm
GREGOR ROS wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:07 am
Hi... Did you bother to read all this thread and apply the suggested fixes???
I've applied all the clues from this thread, and as you can see in my picture, this message continues to appear

Well my friends, it's been just under a full week since my last report, and guess what? My system is running GREAT! Zero issues with start-up or anything else whatsoever. Patchmix auto-loading on start-up every time like a champ. :hyper:

I can hardly believe it myself. All these years with the E-MU and I thought it really was the end.. Yet now my machine is not only fully functional, it seems smoother and more stable than it has ever been before! (Particularly when running my DAW with plugins, etc.)

Wow. Just wow. And thank you from the bottom of my frugal, audio loving heart. To everyone who shared their knowledge and techniques, you just saved me several thousand dollars and a whole lot of time, effort, and stress. And you helped keep some still useful equipment from sitting collecting dust. I am so happy right now and so grateful to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I hope more E-MU lovers can benefit from these threads in the future like I (we) have.

If (knock on wood) I need to revisit this issue in the future, I'll be back on this thread to report the problem and get help again. But hopefully we can continue to use our awesome audio interfaces in peace from now on. Cheers and happy music making/enjoying to you all! :party: :phones:

GREGOR ROS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:54 am I've applied all the clues from this thread, and as you can see in my picture, this message continues to appear
Sorry to hear you're having trouble! I truly sympathize. The only thing I can offer is what worked for me. I have confirmed that this fix seems to be lasting. It's important to do each step exactly as described and completely. (You probably know that, but just sayin'.) If this procedure doesn't work for you, I hope that someone more knowledgeable can chime in with more ideas.

What worked for me:

1. Follow sherwoodsound's instructions, including 'optional' step of editing the registry. Note – I did have to edit the device name in the script to get it working. Please see my previous post on that.

2. Do one more registry edit as suggested by Freddy Stjerna (third post on this page, step 4 only):

3. Go through the procedure of preventing Windows from automatically updating the four E-MU drivers, as outlined in this guide:
(Note: Step 3 is only possible for Windows 'Pro' and 'Enterprise' editions, so if you don't have one of those, I'm afraid I don't have any ideas of how to do this final but very critical last step.)

I wish you the best of luck!

GREGOR ROS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:54 am I've applied all the clues from this thread, and as you can see in my picture, this message continues to appear
I'm still on win7, so I don't have this problem. However in the 16/17 years I have had my cards I have experienced this as well. One method that did solve it was to remove the 1010 card.. reboot ... remove drivers and then reinstal.

Maybe it's worth reading through some of the fixes and also remove the card as I just described.

I do wish you luck with this.. the cards are amazing and I hope you get your's back online.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it seems like the best place to find EMU users.
Can someone help me with volume levels when mixing using Patchmix? Should I set the volume on Patchmix at 0dB and then adjust the volume levels in my DAW or the other way aroun? Might be a simple question but I tend to have the volume in Patchmix at a lower level other wise the sound is too loud.

Thanks for any guidance.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
This works great. 1212m resurrected and working beautifully on Windows 1909 with all current updates. I'm so thankful for this thread.
Easy_Does_It wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:46 pm

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 13a?page=3 (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-sound-card-e-mu-1616m-does-not-work-with-the/44f13d28-54de-47c2-b058-e72ab0d4113a?page=3)

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to ... c-drivers/ (https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers/)
(Note: Step 3 is only possible for Windows 'Pro' and 'Enterprise' editions, so if you don't have one of those, I'm afraid I don't have any ideas of how to do this final but very critical last step.)

I wish you the best of luck!

toonertik wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:01 am
Lexx1 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:05 am
Hi Lexx1... do you still have a problem
maybe check this solution if you still need the emu card.
jaro52 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 am Thanks a lot! My EMU 1616 works fine with WIN10 (incl. last updates).
I worked out the Installation Guide with a little difference:

Installation of EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA

I restarted may PC as told into safe mode.

The 3 coding steps in the powershell did not work. Each time I tried, only error messages.

So I started (still in safe mode) the script EMU_Driver_Fix with rightclick in the temp folder (Start With PowerShell).

Normal Restart WIN10 and installation of the EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00

Normal Restart again - and the EMU 1616 works!!
Hello Toonertik, yes I am still dealing with this issue and won't stop until I fix it. I haven't been on here in a while, because I didn't see any more replies to my question. I thank you so much for reaching out!
I ran the script and got the "win32 get pnpentity" error in red. The software works fine for a while, then the yellow on the meter goes all the way up, my audio stops working and my computer starts to freeze up. I feel like I'm so close, and there is something minor that I need to change, maybe a setting or something.
I will try your solution as soon as I get home today and let you know how it works for me. Thank you so much again for your reply!

Thank you so much for this solution. I have EMU 1820M soundcard and this works for me on Windows 10 64bit but there is one problem so far. When Windows started and soundcard loaded everything works but I get audio with some cracking noise and little bit of distortion. I listen on BayerDynamic DT 770 Pro headphones and I am sure there is noise and distortion. My workaround is like this: Go to PatcMix app/Sample rate settings and temporary switch from 48khz to 44,1khz. Result is there is no sound at all but when I switch back to 48khz and load preset of the patchmix again, audio become nice and clear, without any cracking noise or distortion.

Is this a known problem and is there better fix than mine?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”