EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rawl, my systems were doing that before the 1903 thing. Shows up in the ASIO list for 64 bit apps, but never the 32, which is a shame as I still have Kore and some other abandonware.

Rawl, my systems were doing that before the 1903 thing. Shows up in the ASIO list for 64 bit apps, but never the 32, which is a shame as I still have Kore and some other abandonware.
Pandashake,

Mmmmm...

That is indeed strange. The system with my 1820m is rather ancient. It didn't start out by any means as a Win 10 PC bit rather as a 32 bit XP system. I ran no end of 32 bit audio "stuff" starting from Cubase SX3 and upgrading as time went on. When I upgraded the OS from XP, I went directly to 64 bit Windows 7 and was able to use the beta drivers to keep alive my E-mu 1820m. Back then, Most of my audio stuff was still 32 bit and the E-Mu ASIO drivers would still show up.

When I subsequently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, even versions of Win 10 prior to 1903 still had E-Mu drivers showing up in the ASIO drop-down lists in all my music stuff.

POX on Creative for providing an insufficient set of ASIO driver files to Microsoft to use them as a MS branded drivers. And for essentially abandoning a perfectly good line of "prosumer" audio interfaces.

I heard that the best and brightest engineers from E-mu moved on to RME...

Thanks for the reply,
Rawl

Can someone help me with volume levels when mixing using Patchmix? Should I set the volume at 0dB and then adjust the volume levels in my DAW. Might be a simple question but I tend to have the volume in Patchmix at a lower level other wise the sound is too loud.

Thanks for any guidance.

Thanks for the clarification, Rawl. And thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I have to correct myself – I hadn't actually tried running the 32-bit Proteus VX synth outside of Reaper since doing the fix. I just figured it would still work. Yeah, I'm silly.

So when I tried it the first time, it gave me a message along the lines of “The audio device has been changed and you may need to restart the program”. The midi keyboard wouldn't trigger the notes, but the built-in virtual keyboard worked. So I was getting sound, but it wasn't recognizing my external hardware.

So today I tried again, and it appears to be working fine now, fully functional, midi keyboard and all. Not sure what changed since turning the PC off yesterday. I did run CCleaner and clean the registry in between. It fixed about 4 or 5 files. Though I doubt that was the reason.

To answer your question, when I look at the options for ASIO devices in the program, I see all my relevant options, including the E-MU ASIO, which it now seems to be utilizing without trouble.

FYI, I was able to select the E-MU ASIO both times – Yesterday I got the warning message and keyboard not responding, today no message and keyboard working. The option was there before, but something wasn't right, and selecting it gave me sound but no hardware control. Now it all works. I wish I knew what is different now that the computer was restarted. There's no guarantee it will be working tomorrow.

Ok, just to be sure the E-MU ASIO seems to be working with 32-bit programs, I just installed the 32-bit Reaper and sure enough, the E-MU ASIO is there with the other options. It seems like I'm not having any issues with 32-bit independent audio programs (synth or DAW).

I hope this information is useful. Seems like it might be specific to your system or programs. If there's a way I can help you more, I'd be happy to answer any more questions or test things for you.
Last edited by Easy_Does_It on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

E_D_I,

Thanks so much for taking the time to check this on your system. It appears it may be something isolated to my system. Fortunately I mainly use this older system as a VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) slave to my newer DAW system which has a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface.

And, since VEP uses virtual MIDI and audio channels via the 1GB network cables, I can live without 32 bit ASIO support on this old system. I can just fire up the 32 bit VEP server on it and run those old 32 bit VST plugins there and access them in Cubase on my newer system using the VEP VST plugin.

But, the engineer in me doesn't like unresolved technical issues. I may try a CCleaner like you did. I'll have to find a copy. Perhaps that will fix this lingering problem.

Thanks again for double-checking. One more piece of the puzzle!

Rawl

Happy to assist! Sorry it's not working for you, that's good you have options and it's not a universal problem. I would definitely recommend using the free version of CCleaner (or something equivalent) to clean up junk files and fix registry issues on a regular basis. I consider it part of my standard computer maintenance routine. If you've never run it before, I bet it will have a lot to fix! It goes pretty fast though. You never know what it might fix or speed up for you.

I hear you on unresolved issues.. I am the same way. Must be how people like us do what we do. You have to have that desire to get anything done in engineering of all kinds. Lesser individuals just give up! :lol: In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

I would definitely try a registry cleaner, that helped me . I had no chance that my asio driver show up (entry ctasio64.dll modify didnt help...) in cubase or whatever daw i have ( i own studio one as well, same problem ..) and my hero was driver sweeper 3.2.0 : https://www.techworld.com/download/syst ... r-320-816/

I know those registry cleaners are sort of twilight things , but i think that the windows 10 update also broke some links in the registry , therefore a registry cleaner will help or reinstall windows 10 again ..

Cold Reflection wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 pm Can someone help me with volume levels when mixing using Patchmix? Should I set the volume at 0dB and then adjust the volume levels in my DAW. Might be a simple question but I tend to have the volume in Patchmix at a lower level other wise the sound is too loud.

Thanks for any guidance.
At 0 db? Whoa, would be way too loud for me. Usually have my patchmix volume around -20.

Easy_Does_It:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:50 pm

Happy to assist! Sorry it's not working for you, that's good you have options and it's not a universal problem. I would definitely recommend using the free version of CCleaner (or something equivalent) to clean up junk files and fix registry issues on a regular basis. I consider it part of my standard computer maintenance routine. If you've never run it before, I bet it will have a lot to fix! It goes pretty fast though. You never know what it might fix or speed up for you.
auron:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:19 am

I would definitely try a registry cleaner, that helped me . I had no chance that my asio driver show up (entry ctasio64.dll modify didnt help...) in cubase or whatever daw i have ( i own studio one as well, same problem ..) and my hero was driver sweeper 3.2.0 : https://www.techworld.com/download/syst ... r-320-816/

I know those registry cleaners are sort of twilight things , but i think that the windows 10 update also broke some links in the registry , therefore a registry cleaner will help or reinstall windows 10 again ..
Guys,

I just found this late yesterday:
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/new-w ... to-fix-it
Microsoft has revealed a new Windows 10 problem, and it could be the most serious one yet, as it potentially stops device drivers from installing correctly.

Why is this such a big deal? Drivers are bits of software that allow your peripherals and other hardware, such as graphics cards, keyboards and webcams, for example, to work correctly with Windows 10.

How to update drivers in Windows 10
We show you how to fix common Windows 10 problems
The best antivirus software of 2020

Keeping your drivers updated is essential, as it can help fix compatibility problems that prevent your devices from working properly, add new features and sometimes even help fix security problems.

If you can’t install the latest drivers, your devices, along with your PC, might not work properly – which is why Microsoft’s reveal that Windows 10 has a bug that could prevent driver updates is so worrying.

What’s the issue?

Windows Latest reports that according to Microsoft, the ‘Memory integrity’ setting in Windows 10 is to blame, and may be blocking drivers from installing, and even causing issues with your device if the driver successfully installs.

In a warning posted on the Windows Security support website, Microsoft states that if you see the error message 'A driver can’t load on this device', then this may be caused by the problem.

Microsoft warns that “if you choose to continue using your device without addressing the driver problem, you might discover that the functionality the driver supports does not work any longer, which could have consequences ranging from negligible to severe.”

The mention of ‘severe’ consequences is certainly alarming, but thankfully, there’s a relatively easy fix.
How to fix the problem

As Microsoft states, if you’re encountering this problem, you can fix it by turning off the 'Memory integrity' setting in Windows 10.

To do this, open the Start menu and click on the Settings icon (the one that’s a cog). From the Settings app that opens, click ‘Update & Security' and then '“Windows Security' in the menu on the left-hand side.

In the window that appears, click ‘Device security’, then ‘Core isolation details’. Click the toggle under ‘Memory integrity’ to turn it off.

You should then be able to download and install the latest device drivers, either through Windows Update, or via your device manufacturer’s website.

The fix is easy enough to implement, but it’s not ideal that you have to turn off a security feature to get drivers working. Hopefully Microsoft comes up with a permanent fix soon that maintains the security of its users’ PCs.
PLEASE NOTE:

I have not tried this yet myself on my 1820m equipped system but this looks to be quite interesting in light of all we have been through lately!

Rawl

Cold Reflection wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 pm Can someone help me with volume levels when mixing using Patchmix? Should I set the volume at 0dB and then adjust the volume levels in my DAW.
My standard practice for volume levels:

- Everything at 0 db, all strips and main mix. I believe this gets the cleanest, highest resolution signal. (I keep all my microphone strips muted unless in use for direct monitoring while recording.)

- If the input is clipping, I adjust the source, not the strips.

- When recording, I usually end up turning the DAW strip down so the source strip is relatively louder, then adjust the overall monitor/headphone volume to taste.

- Use the physical headphone volume knob on the E-MU box to adjust the headphone volume.

- Use the monitor knob to adjust speaker volume.

- Sometimes I'll use the actual Windows volume to adjust outside media that's playing. I just have to remember to put it back later. Generally just keep it 100 and use the monitor/headphone volume like everything else.

To be extra safe, turn your monitor and headphone volume all the way down before putting all strips and the main mix at 0dB. Then with media playing, slowly turn up the monitor or headphone volume to test it out. Should be able to have Windows piped in at 100% and get a full clean signal in the strip without clipping.

I figured out how this should be set up after years of doing it incorrectly in various ways. Now I have full, solid signal and my speakers don't have to work as hard. (I keep them on the lowest volume setting now.) Best advice I can give besides the above - Calibrate your speakers! This was a game changer for me. I was surprised I hadn't gotten this advice before in all my research and learning over the years. Just did this kind of recently after accidentally discovering it. Seems like it should be first in recording tutorials, but you rarely see it mentioned!

I used a combination of the techniques in these two videos to calibrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGvZnSnPhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZPOIjA52pY

After this process, I get roughly the recommended monitoring volume of 80dB (physically measured in the room from my listening position) with the E-MU monitor knob set at -30dB. Keeping this level as a control makes spotting volume differences in mixes easier. It's consistent, and a lot quieter then you would think. Doing this made me realize why ear fatigue is so easy to get. Keeping it at this controlled level prevents that pretty well, and I've become more sensitive to it now, so I never monitor too loud, ears don't tire as easily, and I only turn up the volume loud on purpose when rocking out.

Note that all of this happens before you even get your DAW involved. Note that mastered tracks will play roughly 10dB louder than mixed (but not mastered) tracks. Most DAWs compensate this so a mastered track outside the DAW is roughly equal to an unmastered track inside the DAW. See the second video for details on this.
Anyway, hope this helps steer you in the right direction!
Last edited by Easy_Does_It on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auron wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:19 am ...my hero was driver sweeper 3.2.0
For what it's worth, I also use a driver update program called Driver Booster. It seems to catch all the little items I wouldn't think to update. Obviously it doesn't touch the E-MU drivers. If in doubt, I'll manually go check manufacturers website for certain drivers to make sure, but don't need to do that often.

rawl747 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:11 pm To do this, open the Start menu and click on the Settings icon (the one that’s a cog). From the Settings app that opens, click ‘Update & Security' and then '“Windows Security' in the menu on the left-hand side.

In the window that appears, click ‘Device security’, then ‘Core isolation details’. Click the toggle under ‘Memory integrity’ to turn it off.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. When I looked into this on my system, turns out I don't even have the option. When I click on 'Device security', I get this message:

“Standard hardware security not supported
Your device does not meet the requirements for standard hardware security. Devices have different hardware built in that Windows uses to provide additional protection. “

Looks like I'm not secure! :roll: Hmm.. I wonder what hardware this depends on. Would it be the motherboard type? Maybe this is why I'm not getting problems with 32-bit audio programs, as Windows isn't trying to stop me for the sake of 'security'.

From the MS Support page:

"Your device meets the requirements for standard hardware security

This means your device supports memory integrity and core isolation and also has:

TPM 2.0 (also referred to as your security processor)
Secure boot enabled
DEP
UEFI MAT

Your device meets the requirements for enhanced hardware security

This means that in addition to meeting all the requirements of standard hardware security, your device also has memory integrity turned on.
Your device exceeds the requirements for enhanced hardware security

This means that in addition to meeting all the requirements of enhanced hardware security, your device also has System Management Mode (SMM) protection turned on.

Standard hardware security not supported

This means that your device does not meet at least one of the requirements of standard hardware security."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... dwarescore

Standard hardware security not supported
This is going to be true for a lot of us with older PC's.

Still, never hurts to know what we don't know :-}

Stay safe!
Rawl

Hi everyone, I'm hopeless. I used 1820m flawlessly for years under win7, then this year updated the system to win10, the config remained the same, and the problems began..I followed a few recommendation here (even changed the .dll files manually -although wasnt a great idea, had to restore the op sys) the card has sound, but the recordings are digitally cracked-distorted, and works only in the A-B channel(front mic inputs). I've tried out every possibilities, changed the sample rate, bit resolution, at one point it seemed helped, but few minutes later every recordings went digitally cracked-distorted again. Any idea?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”